- - - - -

The Orion 2C?

30 replies to this topic

#21 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

I guess I should have clearly stated that it was the Artemis version I was talking about.

I thought it was obvious, my bad.

The only time I use Missiles without Artemis is if they are SRMs.

#22 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 25 September 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

One thing to know about Artemis though, it doesn't activate if you are indirectly firing, so you need to have a line of sight on the target you shoot. It's extremely good for a mech that has a group of ALRM15s and a tag laser, as the tag further increases their tracking ability and decreases spread.

I've never seen anywhere about Artemis only working in direct fire mode.

But basically, I only use it such and with a TAG. If the TAG can't hit the enemy, I do not fire the LRMs (or almost never)

#23 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

"Introduced in by the Terran Hegemony The Artemis IV Fire Control System is a guidance system that utilizes an infrared laser designator and tight-beam microwave transmitter which improves the accuracy ofLRMsSRMs, and MML by roughly thirty-five percent. The Artemis IV FCS must be mounted in the same location as the launcher it controls, taking up space and weight on a[/color]BattleMech[color=#959595] like other components.[/color][color=#959595][2][/color][color=#959595] In order to actually take the benefit of Artemis IV, the missiles fired must be Artemis compatible, which are more expensive than standard versions, [/color]and the firing unit must have line of sight to its target[color=#959595], [/color]indirectly fired LRM receives no increase in accuracy[color=#959595].[/color]

[color=#959595]Though extremely useful for improving a missile launcher, there is one major obstacle to their use: If any standard missile launcher is equipped with an Artemis system, every launcher of that type must have its own Artemis IV attached.[/color][color=#959595][3][/color][color=#959595] Therefore a 'Mech mounting an LRM-15 and an LRM-5 would need two Artemis IV systems. (As they use different guidance systems, [/color]Rocket Launchers[color=#959595], [/color]MRMs[color=#959595], [/color]Streak launchers[color=#959595], and [/color]NARC[color=#959595] systems do not require Artemis IV and do not count towards this limit.) [/color]ATM[color=#959595]launchers automatically have Artemis included."[/color]

Jesus, how can you copy and paste without having to take the colors out?

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 27 September 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#24 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

Copy to notepad, then paste from notepad to the forums.

Notepad works with plain unformatted text, so no fancy stuff if you copy from notepad

#25 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

Here is someone telling about the 9x LRM 5 Archer.
http://mwomercs.com/...nown-as-arc-5w/

I'm really considering to get Summoner for 5x LRM 5+A as I only have Clan mechs anyway, but daaaam that Archer is so tempting. If I could have one nice LRM boat I could use SMRs on my Mad Dogs. Mad Dogs are only medicore LRM boats.

Yes artemis only works when you have and keep the targetted enemy visible. Does it also require it being on your sensor range?

My hit ratios (available from https://mwomercs.com...ats?type=weapon ) are 36% for C-LRM 5+A but surprisingly C-LRM 15+ 34%. Maybe because I've used 15+A with those omnipods which have speed quirks.

Edited by Teer5, 27 September 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#26 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostTeer5, on 27 September 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Here is someone telling about the 9x LRM 5 Archer.
http://mwomercs.com/...nown-as-arc-5w/

I'm really considering to get Summoner for 5x LRM 5+A as I only have Clan mechs anyway, but daaaam that Archer is so tempting. If I could have one nice LRM boat I could use SMRs on my Mad Dogs. Mad Dogs are only medicore LRM boats.

Yes artemis only works when you have and keep the targetted enemy visible. Does it also require it being on your sensor range?

My hit ratios (available from https://mwomercs.com...ats?type=weapon ) are 36% for C-LRM 5+A but surprisingly C-LRM 15+ 34%. Maybe because I've used 15+A with those omnipods which have speed quirks.

I'd argue that a Mad Dog would be better at LRMing than a Summoner. The Mad Dog has its cockpit as the only thing mounted so high, allowing it to direct fire easily, it also has more missile hardpoints and can bring backup weaponry with its 6 launchers. When I choose to bring LRMs on my Mad Dog I'll often have 6 LRM10s backed by 4 or 5 small lasers.

The similar accuracies for the LRMs could just be that they did infact hit your target, however the LRM15s spread damage over the target more, hitting arms and side torsos more often.

You also don't really need Artemis on an LRM5, the spread is already very good. It could still be somewhat useful if you are trying to have the tracking power bonuses and focus on taking out light mechs or something.

#27 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 28 September 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

I'd argue that a Mad Dog would be better at LRMing than a Summoner. The Mad Dog has its cockpit as the only thing mounted so high, allowing it to direct fire easily, it also has more missile hardpoints and can bring backup weaponry with its 6 launchers. When I choose to bring LRMs on my Mad Dog I'll often have 6 LRM10s backed by 4 or 5 small lasers.

The similar accuracies for the LRMs could just be that they did infact hit your target, however the LRM15s spread damage over the target more, hitting arms and side torsos more often.

You also don't really need Artemis on an LRM5, the spread is already very good. It could still be somewhat useful if you are trying to have the tracking power bonuses and focus on taking out light mechs or something.

Yeah. LRMs are terrible, but if you must LRM, the MDD is the king. Carries a lot of launchers but still mobile and light enough to be in good positions.

#28 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Summoner cant compete with MDD for lurms. Summoner cant really compete with much in MWO period.

I will admit that a jumpy Lurm summoner is some good trollish fun though.

#29 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Yes, I have to agree, after comparing builds, Summoner is limited so much by it's weight capacity. It has to carry LRM 5 or 10, to carry enough ammunition, and it can't have tag. Even Stormcrow can carry as much, is faster and can have a tag too, Mad Dog can carry much more plus the tag.

I'm fairly sure I will get it though, if I don't like it, I can sell it after basicing it since I've already elited&mastered one set of heavies.

And good point about the spread, that even with nearly equal % of hits, smaller LRM is likely to kill more and thus win more.

Edited by Teer5, 28 September 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#30 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

there's an older post somewhere (search can probably find it keying on artemis lrm and test results) that shows no difference between lrms and a lrms when a target is out of sight (also does some testing on tag and narc).

Orion 2c always strikes me as a blocky big target. Generously large torso for coring =/

#31 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostJingseng, on 28 September 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

there's an older post somewhere (search can probably find it keying on artemis lrm and test results) that shows no difference between lrms and a lrms when a target is out of sight (also does some testing on tag and narc).

Orion 2c always strikes me as a blocky big target. Generously large torso for coring =/

How old? LRM mechanics have been reworked more times than I can count.
Further, was it testing for Artemis, as that is what is being discussed here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users