Clan 'mechs And Battlezone Difficulty.

24 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I've been wandering around the academy lately and I noticed something; there's not a single Clan 'mech to be had in that simulator. There aren't any clan 'mechs you can swap into and there are no clan 'mechs that can spawn in the battlezone. The absence of clan 'mechs in the battlezone is what bothers me the most. Let me test my 'mech's mettle against some clan tech, please. Add some clan 'mechs to the spawns in the Academy. While I'm here, I'd also like to suggest that we have a spot that we can walk into that allows us to set the difficulty of the battlezone, by which I mean we are allowed to set how damaged the 'mechs we encounter within the battlezone will be. It's kind of silly that all the 'mechs in the battlezone are practically "walking dead" level of damaged when I want to use the battlezone to see how well my 'mech can tear down a fresh target that is actively returning fire. I'm not interested in how well my 'mech can one-shot already cored targets.

#2 Redchameleon

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

Ya know I never noticed they didn't have any clan mechs, good spot. I think the purpose behind the academy though is just to get you familiar with moving and shooting. I do agree though it would be nice to be able to test out a mech before you buy it, and it would be nice to have an area were we can practice with moving AI targets not stationary targets or the "LRM battlefield" in the academy.

Just out of curiosity, your location says you cut up brains for a living, are you a histo tech by chance? (MLT here)

#3 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

If that is true, I can only imagine its a lore based choice that they opted to keep the mechs strictly Inner Sphere.

While I can only guess, its probably the mechwarrior academy on Outreach.

Where the wolf's dragoons trained inner sphere pilots in order to get them ready for the clan invasion.

This is just a hypothesis of course, and I could be wrong...

#4 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:07 AM

Capt Adams destroyed them on sight

#5 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostRedchameleon, on 24 September 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, your location says you cut up brains for a living, are you a histo tech by chance? (MLT here)

I am, actually. Nationally certified HT in the U.S. and and licensed HTL in my state.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:23 AM

because the acadamy is supposed to be an IS academy, so they don't have any clanmechs there, and during he invasion any conquered Clanmech had more important purposes than going to the academy.

#7 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 28 September 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

because the acadamy is supposed to be an IS academy, so they don't have any clanmechs there, and during he invasion any conquered Clanmech had more important purposes than going to the academy.

Well seeing as the academy is very clear that it's a simulation and none of the 'mechs are real don't you think they would want to include clan 'mechs in it to help train Inner Sphere pilots on how to deal with advanced clan tech?

#8 Nergal Pryde

• Pip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIn the Maelstrom of Chaos, right at the bottomless pit.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:54 AM

Chaos mode: you run in and Grand melee against neverending Horde ensues. zombie-overrun like. great honour by slaughtering the Mobs, but no Chance to win. Fnarglharhar *giggls*

wait. thats what they call FW in pug mode.

Edited by Nergal Pryde, 30 September 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#9 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Clan version of the academy. The current one makes sense for IS, but Clanners have to be trained too. That's what the Bloodhouses are for. Though granted would probably have to add a Trial of Position at the end of a Clanner tutorial, so that the player can 'officially' be considered a Mechwarrior.

Plus, more free Cbills for everyone who completes the Clan academy as the IS one give out Cbill rewards for finishing it and certain achievements or scores.

#10 Sadaaki Akamatsu

• Pip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Which IS mechs are in the Academy? All of them? They are a bit spread out and I'm sure I've found them all.

#11 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

IIRC, a subset of ~24 possible types of 'Mechs with randomly chosen.

#12 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

So the lack of Clan mechs was a feature.

#13 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

It was a design decision, and thus a compromise of the factors deemed important at the time (lore being a big one).

The original idea had the 'Mech right in front of Captain Adams as showcase items that would change from time to time (new releases and sales for example), but the bandwidth required from QA to re-test every aspect of the level put using this feature way down on the priority list.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostMole, on 29 September 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well seeing as the academy is very clear that it's a simulation and none of the 'mechs are real don't you think they would want to include clan 'mechs in it to help train Inner Sphere pilots on how to deal with advanced clan tech?

the early invasion was such fast advancement, there weren't even enough Info amongst the IS about clanners to do that.

View PostDave Forsey, on 05 December 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

It was a design decision, and thus a compromise of the factors deemed important at the time (lore being a big one).

The original idea had the 'Mech right in front of Captain Adams as showcase items that would change from time to time (new releases and sales for example), but the bandwidth required from QA to re-test every aspect of the level put using this feature way down on the priority list.

how does that require an entire bandwith of tests again? currently we can manually bring every mech into the academy anyways.

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 December 2016 - 05:11 AM.

#15 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:37 AM

hop in a clan trial. Enter the academy. Just like taking your own mechs in....

#16 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 December 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

how does that require an entire bandwith of tests again? currently we can manually bring every mech into the academy anyways.

That's just the procedure - change something, anything, in a level - especially one as important as the academy - and the entire level gets regression tested. That's the tutorial itself and all the challenges, multiple times, doing things that explore some of the edge cases. QA has been real busy with all the new content.

#17 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

I do not think "newbies" would want to be around a Clan training program :P

They a bit more...harsh?

#18 Warden Xim

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostCK16, on 08 December 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

I do not think "newbies" would want to be around a Clan training program Posted Image

They a bit more...harsh?

I would like to see a tutorial of clannies :D

#19 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostWarden Xim, on 14 December 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

I would like to see a tutorial of clannies Posted Image

That would be amusing, 1 in 10 would be successful and make it to their Trial of Position.

#20 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

- We still have Testing Ground - maybe place some clan mech there and make pilot choose IS or Clan dummy to shoot. Also give them ability to move a little and shoot back as they can do in Academy. No?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users