22 replies to this topic

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hunh... since I've started back playing the game has abruptly tanked on me.

Haven't changed any settings or added any software, and I've gone from consistent high-50's during gameplay, to low teens, even in the mechlab. Antivirus and spyware comes up clean, ran CCleaner, killed all extraneous whatnots in task manager.. wait, there might've been a window's update.

Gonna check nVidia for a new driver right quick.

Anyone else experience this lately?

#2 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Yes, but I chalked it up to my rig was already below spec "potato class". But yeah, my fps had always been low, but after coming back from a 6 month break, it's even worse now. Was borderline unplayable before, and now....

I'm trying to talk myself into a new rig, but with MWO fading fast in my interests, it's getting harder to convince myself to spend the cash.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

Back in the day it was 8vs8 instead of the current 12vs12, larger maps, etc. On top of that there are OS updates that can furbar a patch, etc.

1st Control Panel, Power Options, set to High performance. Can of compressed air, clear out all dust buildup on heatsinks and double check that fans are ramping up in RPMs.

Drivers. newest GPU drivers are not always the best for several reasons.

Programs running in the background or that provide an overlay for games, disable.

Setting. Playing MWO with high settings can be detrimental, and anti-aliasing can tank MWO FPS, regardless of what you are using in other games.

Please post system specs, either using Speccy program or dxdiag.

Edit.

Also, you may have been playing MWO as 32bit but PGI changed it so that if your OS is 64bit, it will default to 64bit. Some players will play with normal 64bit but then use a modified shortcut to run as 32bit. Some will also run game dx9 instead of dx11.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 September 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#4 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

My system is about 4 years old. I have it set to low settings in game with all the in-game overlay type fx off. Glass and monitors off. Directional arrow off. V-sync off and dx 9. I can't tell the difference visually from medium to high except that going high tanks fps even more. I've also noticed some fps increase in using steam vs stand alone client. You need to check and try different configurations to see which ones work for your pc.. I've also tried a frate rate limiter of 30 fps.

One thing that seems to be universally agreed on is that mwo is cpu intensive and does not seem to support more than dual cores or two graphic cards in tandem. If you could afford to do only a minor upgrade I'd pick the biggest and best cpu your budget allows.

#5 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Fixed. Up to high 50's - low 60's
Snagged the latest nVidia drivers,... and turned off Windows Defender, that the latest OS update saw fit to 1. make look like Windows 8 again (ugh), and 2; turn everything on for me. (Thanks for that..)

Of those two things I think defender had the greater impact.

Running ye olde but decentish i5-2500k w/8GB and a 560Ti 448-core edition. Built specifically to run this game. And up to this point I've left everything maxed out all the time. (On the cpu intensive note, I did have to tack on a closed loop liquid cooling system back during closed beta as the game would either crash or give me temp warnings).

Edited by juxstapo, 25 September 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:25 PM

It's started when they added new mini map and started to change maps.
Perfect Game Industry do something that mess with FPS.
Have the same problem.
Put new system, cleaned PC.... and still got less FPS.
Even on medium setings...but always have high....

#7 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

So are we at a competitive disadvantage due to low FPS?

I can play The world of Tanks with the same rig and get 50 - 60 FPS. In MWO 25 - 30 on a good day.
IMO, This game is just coded bad or the game engine needs tweaked. I have a low to medium end rig that exceeds the min requirements and is maybe a step or 2 below the recommended requirements. (which isn't saying much I know)

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

View PostSparrow1250, on 26 September 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Of course. That's the same situation in most online games.

Also if you don't have good eye-hand coordination, that puts you also at disadvantage.

#9 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

I change my grafic to 1060 Gtx Gaming.
And.... at the uber mega high resolution and higest setings I have hard 60 fps on old mapa like HPG, Mining, Terra etc. but on new mapa I have 30 FPS. Now I know for 100% that Perfect Game Industry do s.h.it with MWO code.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

This game is mostly CPU bottle necked.

It loves more clockspeed and more than 2 cpu cores

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 25 September 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Yes, but I chalked it up to my rig was already below spec "potato class". But yeah, my fps had always been low, but after coming back from a 6 month break, it's even worse now. Was borderline unplayable before, and now....

I'm trying to talk myself into a new rig, but with MWO fading fast in my interests, it's getting harder to convince myself to spend the cash.

do you only play MWO?

#12 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostSparrow1250, on 26 September 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

The laptop I used to play MWO on before building a newer rig could only get about 35-40 FPS on low to medium settings. The new rig easily sees 75+ FPS even on max settings to max out the 75 Hz refresh rate on my monitor. I never realized until playing on a nicer system how much easier the higher FPS makes it to aim. If you are mainly using Streaks, LRMs, or lasers then it has less of an effect, but trying to aim decently with ballistics, PPCs, or even SRMs that FPS makes a world of difference.

#13 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 25 September 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

Fixed. Up to high 50's - low 60's
Snagged the latest nVidia drivers,... and turned off Windows Defender, that the latest OS update saw fit to 1. make look like Windows 8 again (ugh), and 2; turn everything on for me. (Thanks for that..)

Of those two things I think defender had the greater impact.

Running ye olde but decentish i5-2500k w/8GB and a 560Ti 448-core edition. Built specifically to run this game. And up to this point I've left everything maxed out all the time. (On the cpu intensive note, I did have to tack on a closed loop liquid cooling system back during closed beta as the game would either crash or give me temp warnings).

Good news is that a 4th gen i5 or i7 and board and even a $100-125 graphics card upgrade (Radeon HD 7870 or GTX 950) would not be too expensive and would still be a huge step up for you.

The rig I just built this spring was a I5-4690K, 12GB of DDR3 and a 2nd hand OCed HD 7870 cost me only about $500 including case, monitor, power supply, everything and the only parts not brand new were a HDD and 4GB of RAM that I had laying around and the used video card I picked up off craigslist from someone else in the area upgrading and the monitor was a refurb from Newegg.

Edited by Digital_Angel, 01 October 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#14 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Yah, the mobo/proc combo is on the wishlist for sure. Probably tumble this one down to my youngest (9 y/o) daughter's Minecraft rig.

Ok, those specs for that price is hella impressive. Posted Image Which means I've not kept track of the current parts market for quite awhile.

#15 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

OK went back and double checked was about $500 to Newegg and then another $85 for the video card on Craigslist, so a little under $600 total. I shop specials and sales pretty hard when I'm looking for major purchases. ASUS MOBO/CPU/8GB of RAM were all a bundle from Newegg for just over $375ish. Got a decent (4.1 GHz from the 3.5 stock) OC with the stock heatsink and Fan that came with the CPU.

#16 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

Oh gawd what on Earth!!

My fixes are defixed. Part of it being Defender shutting itself back on periodically, but whatever loving goodness I had achieved is undone, had crap frame rates all night. And this game ran great even in it's early, clumsy builds on Windows 7, now 64-bit 10 is screwing me over.

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:17 AM

First Windows Defender is likely not the culprit, simply disabling it likely was masking the issue. Download and run Process Explorer or run Task Manager to check for power hogging programs.

Recheck the info in my initial post, especially concerning Power Options. And that you are using Nvidia, check Nvidia UI, Power Management, change from adaptive to Max Power.

Download and use the following to monitor CPU/GPU temps, speeds, etc.
http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

i5-2500k w/8GB and a 560Ti 448-core edition

Double check dust buildup on/in heatsinks, as well that the fans are not only running but ramping up.

Turn off Vsync and if you do not have one, create a user.cfg and add the following line sys_MaxFPS = 40 You can change this later to increase or decrease the FPS.

The reason for the above is to not push the system if there is a possibility of there being a hardware issue. On your 560Ti 448-core edition, that OC by the mfg. Underclock it to stock speeds using Nvidia UI or MSI Afterburner.

PS, using Windows 10, make sure you have its torrent turned off. Windows 10 is setup by default to seed its updates to other users. Update/Security, Advanced Options, Choose how updates are delivered.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 October 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#18 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 01 October 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Yah, the mobo/proc combo is on the wishlist for sure. Probably tumble this one down to my youngest (9 y/o) daughter's Minecraft rig. Ok, those specs for that price is hella impressive. Posted Image Which means I've not kept track of the current parts market for quite awhile.

For you or anyone else needing an update to a newer machine on a budget. http://www.newegg.co...t=Combo.3168102

Throw a decent video card in this and you have a cheap gaming rig that should handle MWO and most other games fairly well on the cheap. The PSU might need an upgrade though depending on the video card you use.

#19 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

I have to update video but this might help you with your FPS problems.. I use this and had FPS of about 12-20 depending on anything that could go wrong with my computer but once I use this program called Razer cortex I now run about 35-50 FPS and able to run at high graphics now.. Hope it helps

#20 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:06 PM

Chewing on the to-do list guys, thanks for the responses.

(I was once religious about cleaning this thing, work and life and kids and all made the hobby fall by the wayside. Every fan in this case was wearing a fur coat... started blowing out the vid card heatsink with a small shopvac, hose on the reverse side; And without thinking stuck my finger in one of the fans when it wound up really fast... broke two blades off of it. :( )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users