Griffin Help. Bought 2N, Need To Get More.

11 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

So.... I may or may not have impulse bought a Griffin 2N. And I may or may not have become completely addicted. So now I kinda need to get two more variants. I picked up a 1S because it's cheap and I'm broke, but it feels kinda **** as an SRM brawler.

#2 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

The 1S is basically the...worst variant.

I would pick up the 3M and run 4xSRM4s in that torso.

#3 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 25 September 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

The 1S is basically the...worst variant.

I would pick up the 3M and run 4xSRM4s in that torso.

I wanted to get the 3M, but it's like 8 million c-bills. The hardpoints on the 1S had me worried, but I thought I could make it work. Apparently this is going to be another Cataphract 4X experience though.

Edited by Sidefire, 25 September 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:29 AM

GRF-3M (4 x SRM4+A, 2 x ML, 2 x JJ, XL300)
GRF-3M

The 3M and 2N will be your main brawlers one with ecm other with more firepower and tankiness.
1S and 1N just mech so you can master griffin unles you planning to buy the hero sparky and make it a laser boat.

After you mastered griffin you can sell the 1S or 1N if you need mechbay space. They are inferior with there lesser missil slot for extra laser slot compared to 3M,2N.

#5 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

GRF-3M is the best variant. Four missile hardpoints for maximum splat and a torso energy hardpoint so one of your backup weapon can't be shot off so easily. The 3M also has all the structure quirks, making it the tankiest, splatiest Griffin available. Comes with an XL275 and DHS already installed, hence the cost.

The GRF-1N is decent. All it's weapons are on one side so you can sword and board with it. Energy heat generation and missile cooldown quirks make it an all round solid design.

The GRF-1S is generally regarded as the worst variant. It doesn't have the missile hardpoints to splat with and all of it's energy points are on a single easily removed arm. I had the best luck running it as an LRM build, equipped LRM15+10 with Artemis, a tag and 3 MPL's in the arm, along with the XL275 I pinched from the 3M. Missile cooldown quirks let it happily spam away in the back, griffin torso/arm twist lets you get a tag lock on anything, anywhere at any time, and 3 MPL's with a laser duration quirk is quite the surgical implement.

Edited by CheeseThief, 27 September 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#6 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

I leveled my 1S with 2erLL and some splat of the 6 variety. Burn from afar and when the match really happens, start mixing it up under 200m with that SRM goodness.

Also sold it as soon as it was mastered...

Cheers!

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

2N/3M is a close fight for which is better. Both are excellent. If you like SRMs, both are must owns IMO. The 1S is bad, the 1N is ok. If you're willing to spend MC the Sparky is really great and very different than any other GRF. Highly flexible energy boat.

Edited by TercieI, 09 October 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#8 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

I put 3 ER large on my S and did the hokey pokey to good effect.

#9 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

PS: Wait until next month's medium mech sale

#10 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:26 AM

I really, really recomend the hero "sparky" if you can waste some cash, hes kinda cheap too.
Probably one of the best heroes out there.
Sparky does something none other shadowhawk or griffon does, great quirks, perfect for hunting lights.

I actually prefer shadowhawk for SRM since i can punch with a lbx10 or something aswell but griffons are fine.

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 09 October 2016 - 01:32 AM.

#11 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

I will also recommend the Sparky, it's my go to Medium. Great combo of firepower, range and speed.

1S is the only one that kinda limited but it still very maneuverable mech, give the trail version a go.

The 3M and 1N are the most popular after the Sparky and 2N.

#12 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostSidefire, on 25 September 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

So.... I may or may not have impulse bought a Griffin 2N. And I may or may not have become completely addicted. So now I kinda need to get two more variants. I picked up a 1S because it's cheap and I'm broke, but it feels kinda **** as an SRM brawler.

They are a bit ****** at first for brawling without being basic'd, plus their quirks are a bit lacking. The fast way to get through your basic levels is to make it an LRM mech, then switch to an SRM brawler.

What XL engines do you have?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users