- - - - -

The Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer

11 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

Does anyone that has a Cyclops know what the extra range is and if it really does the same with your teammates and what is the "radius" that a teammate has to be in.

This is so PGI. I'm reading the 4 post FAQ thread they made explaining everything about buying this package. And this is what they say about the B-2000 Battle Computer.

The B-2000 Battle Computer provides the following benefits, on top of the standard abilities of the basic Sensor suite:

• Boosts the standard Sensor Range of the Cyclops 'Mech.
• Boosts the standard Sensor Range of any ally 'Mechs within the radius of the Cyclops.[/color]

Ok, great. But they really cannot write two lines and say how far the range is extended and what the distance your teammates has to be under to also gain from it?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

If they stated specific ranges it would be hard for it not to become another "broken promise" if nerfed or buffed.

Think it is 150 meters and unclear.

Compared to the Battletech Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer, this thing is a joke.

In Battletech though, the amount of functioning Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computers in existence is in the double digits, in other words less than 100, as of 3025.
It's http://mwomercs.com/clock September 25th, 3051.

#3 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

+150% sensor range and also increases your teammates range as well with in a area if i'm right

#4 Tezzereth

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 September 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

If they stated specific ranges it would be hard for it not to become another "broken promise" if nerfed or buffed.

Think it is 150 meters and unclear.

Compared to the Battletech Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer, this thing is a joke.

In Battletech though, the amount of functioning Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computers in existence is in the double digits, in other words less than 100, as of 3025.
It's http://mwomercs.com/clock September 25th, 3051.

And the hundreds of players with their own regiments worth of mechs isn't lore breaking either ;)

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

View PostTezzereth, on 25 September 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

And the hundreds of players with their own regiments worth of mechs isn't lore breaking either Posted Image

Trust me, I know.
Now if each player had multiple pilots to level up, some mechs, lots of vehicles....
AI infantry in the field, spotting for and supporting friendly mechs with a ground commander relaying their information to vehicles and mechs, and Command Console totting mechs being able to directly command these infantry forces.
Spoiler

And it'd be possible to lose these mechs and vehicles and pilots.
R&R.
The per pilot income might not be phenomenal, but between all the pilots in your arsenal you'd have plenty to help with the upkeep, leaving the real worry is absolutely devastating destruction, non-repairability and loss.

Now considering a fair estimate of a total of 8,000 players, in a universe with some 80,000 planets/asteroids/moons inhabited, and something along the lines of 800,000 mechs in existence all over the universe (including Clans), an attrition rate of mechs being built as fast as being destroyed (and absolute destruction being very uncommon), and finally about 12 to 24 pilots per player and a higher vehicle count to mech count (vehicles aren't as 'mobile' but they can be as effective if not more so than 'Mechs in combat; take my pure stock Behemoth armor variant which in a single battle disabled 3 of 8 enemy Enforcers, destroyed 4 of 8 enemy Enforcers and at one point utterly obliterated an Atlas in less than ten seconds... most of this while tracked and immobile before being destroyed first by turret functionality being disabled and finally engine destruction from behind.)
Posted Image
On the turn in which I destroy the Atlas using twin AC/10s. The other arrows are LRM-5 volleys being targeted at nearby Enforcers.
The one behind me was there for a good 2 minutes (24 turns) trying to destroy me from behind.
A Behemoth tank is 100 tons and carries significantly more armor than an Atlas can max at.
Posted Image
Vehicle usefulness in battle.
Posted Image

Quotes from a player describing MWO's closed beta:
"There's nothing more eviscerating than to come around the corner and seeing two mechs slamming each other with cannon fire like two big battleships."
"When a Raven jumps by, drop kicking one in the face and it topples over and the asphalt cracks beneath it from the impact... then it sticks the landing -- if it made it mind you as it usually doesn't -- and whips around to aim that huge AC/20 for the cockpit to deliver the deathblow... I'd pay to see the expression on that guy's face every time. Take my ******* money, am I right?"
"It was always so terrifying to see an Atlas or Awesome guarding the base when you managed to sneak all the way over there without being spotted, even if it is already missing armor or limbs despite not having been to battle yet. It always made me think: "This guy has seen some ****, he knows what he's doing and he's survived to tell the tale and now he's gonna wreck my world if I'm not careful." What really amazed me is that these guys who didn't repair always seemed to be harder to kill than the fresh mechs; I never really understood that."

(That was before anyone was ever really told about the 50% damage reduction on limb damage transfer; or the fact that many mechs had giant 'dead arm' hitboxes; it was a common belief early on that you'd do bonus damage by hitting those 'destroyed' limbs which made them live so much longer).

I could keep going, but I'm sure this alone could really get you reeling with an "Oh the possibilities" vibe.

Edited by Koniving, 26 September 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:42 AM

Meh, for additional fun:
Posted Image

And in the spirit of fun...
On reddit, when a Call of Duty developer asked users why all the hate for CoD and what does Battlefield have that CoD doesn't, a DICE (Battlefield) developer replied: "Dinosaurs?"... leading to dinosaur Easter Eggs all throughout Battlefield 3 and in 4.

Mechwarrior/Battletech has had dinosaurs in the 1990s, beating them both and thus being awesome before it was cool.
From Mechwarrior RPG handbook first edition:
Posted Image
I eat your 'Mech.

Edited by Koniving, 26 September 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:45 AM

I've semi-learned my lesson, I bet it is +150 meters than +150%

View PostKoniving, on 26 September 2016 - 03:21 AM, said:

Trust me, I know.
Now if each player had multiple pilots to level up, some mechs, lots of vehicles....
AI infantry in the field, spotting for and supporting friendly mechs with a ground commander relaying their information to vehicles and mechs, and Command Console totting mechs being able to directly command these infantry forces.
Spoiler

And it'd be possible to lose these mechs and vehicles and pilots.
R&R.
The per pilot income might not be phenomenal, but between all the pilots in your arsenal you'd have plenty to help with the upkeep, leaving the real worry is absolutely devastating destruction, non-repairability and loss.

Now considering a fair estimate of a total of 8,000 players, in a universe with some 80,000 planets/asteroids/moons inhabited, and something along the lines of 800,000 mechs in existence all over the universe (including Clans), an attrition rate of mechs being built as fast as being destroyed (and absolute destruction being very uncommon), and finally about 12 to 24 pilots per player and a higher vehicle count to mech count (vehicles aren't as 'mobile' but they can be as effective if not more so than 'Mechs in combat; take my pure stock Behemoth armor variant which in a single battle disabled 3 of 8 enemy Enforcers, destroyed 4 of 8 enemy Enforcers and at one point utterly obliterated an Atlas in less than ten seconds... most of this while tracked and immobile before being destroyed first by turret functionality being disabled and finally engine destruction from behind.)
Posted Image
On the turn in which I destroy the Atlas using twin AC/10s. The other arrows are LRM-5 volleys being targeted at nearby Enforcers.
The one behind me was there for a good 2 minutes (24 turns) trying to destroy me from behind.
A Behemoth tank is 100 tons and carries significantly more armor than an Atlas can max at.
Posted Image
Vehicle usefulness in battle.
Posted Image

Quotes from a player describing MWO's closed beta:
"There's nothing more eviscerating than to come around the corner and seeing two mechs slamming each other with cannon fire like two big battleships."
"When a Raven jumps by, drop kicking one in the face and it topples over and the asphalt cracks beneath it from the impact... then it sticks the landing -- if it made it mind you as it usually doesn't -- and whips around to aim that huge AC/20 for the cockpit to deliver the deathblow... I'd pay to see the expression on that guy's face every time. Take my ******* money, am I right?"
"It was always so terrifying to see an Atlas or Awesome guarding the base when you managed to sneak all the way over there without being spotted, even if it is already missing armor or limbs despite not having been to battle yet. It always made me think: "This guy has seen some ****, he knows what he's doing and he's survived to tell the tale and now he's gonna wreck my world if I'm not careful." What really amazed me is that these guys who didn't repair always seemed to be harder to kill than the fresh mechs; I never really understood that."

(That was before anyone was ever really told about the 50% damage reduction on limb damage transfer; or the fact that many mechs had giant 'dead arm' hitboxes; it was a common belief early on that you'd do bonus damage by hitting those 'destroyed' limbs which made them live so much longer).

I could keep going, but I'm sure this alone could really get you reeling with an "Oh the possibilities" vibe.

We could use some of these armor, hovercraft etc uits in the game in NPC roles.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:01 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 September 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

I've semi-learned my lesson, I bet it is +150 meters than +150%

I'd fly a http://www.sarna.net...i/Yellow_Jacket in a heart beat...

30T craft with a Gauss Rifle, and can take a cERPPC to the nose in TT? YES PLEASE!

For fun facts, if you swap the engine to a Fusion type it actually can get a whole lot meaner...

#9 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

go to the mechlab and hover the mouse over the tacticon... all the info you want!

case closed

#10 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostTezzereth, on 25 September 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

And the hundreds of players with their own regiments worth of mechs isn't lore breaking either ;)

I was thinking Clusters, mayhap even Galaxies, myself.

#11 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 September 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

Or better yet, we could use SOME DINOSAURS IN THE GAME!!! RAWRR!

#12 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

We still don't even know exactly these values, do we?

Also I would love that Vehicles were in the game, they would provide a sense of scale and awe to battlemechs even in comparison.

Include vehicles = better appreciation of 'mechs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users