- - - - -

Sell Mech And Free A Bay

13 replies to this topic

#1 IceCold Nastea

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

So after having bought 3 variants of the same chassis in order to master them is there any reason not to sell 1 or even 2 to free the bays after mastering? I have 3 tbrs and may use 2 in faction olay eventually but seems like i should sell 1 to free its bay for my next mech group.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostIceCold Nastea, on 26 September 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

So after having bought 3 variants of the same chassis in order to master them is there any reason not to sell 1 or even 2 to free the bays after mastering? I have 3 tbrs and may use 2 in faction olay eventually but seems like i should sell 1 to free its bay for my next mech group.

The only reason not to is that you get very little reselling and Mechbays are pretty cheap ($1-$1.50). But if you're confident you won't want any more than two TBRs, then, no, no other reason.

#3 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

To open up the Elite Slots, you need to Basic out ( unlock all the Basic Skills ) of 3 Variants of the same Chassis .

To open up the Master Slot - ModuleSlot - however, you need to unlock all Elite Skills on 3 Chassis of the same Weight Class .

So as Terciel already wrote, if you are confident you will not ever need that 3d Variant, I think there is no reason to NOT sell one to free up a Bay, if you have at least basic'ed all 3 of them . Moreso if you have mastered them .

Edited by Besh, 26 September 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Catalina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

There is a reason not to sell mech: mechs are more/less popular with time. Some get quirks, some become meta, some lose their meta status. I never regretted the fact that I've never sold a mech. I would have sold some mechs but later they became valuable for me.

#5 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Same here. I don't sell mechs back because PGI can and does change the way the game works.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 26 September 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Same here. I don't sell mechs back because PGI can and does change the way the game works.

To be clear, neither do I anymore, aside from occasional dupes (No longer own three TDR-5SSs for instance). I own 348 mechs and have rebought every variant I've ever sold (~10). I love the flexibility of being able to grab any mech and try anything when something changes in the meta/quirks/etc. But that's not going to be how everybody goes about it.

Edited by TercieI, 26 September 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

I do it all the time, especially with Clan omnis. So many omnis are effectively generic in that they do not have unique CTs or quirks.
Only two reasons to own more than one of those (after leveling them up) 1) Multiples for faction play (if applicable) and 2) keeping different load outs at the ready.

Frankly, I also do this with a lot of IS mechs. For example, LOVE the Griffin 2N, but really did not like any of the variants very much. So, now I only have the Griffin2N.

Frankly, if any other mech becomes so quirked out and OP that I MUST own it again, well then I will buy it back for C-bills. No big deal. Further, I just don't see that happening anymore.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

I bought Griffins mainly just for the one variant, the same with others.

The 3rd reason to keep all your Mechs is so you can look and see all your Mechs. Kind of like a Collector, these cars (Mechs) might not be great or even driveable but you like to look at them.

My mindset is that my garage is only so big and I can only play so many Mechs at one time and I only want to play the best.

I recently bought some mediums and a bunch of lights. But I really only want one or at most two of them (Locust, Raven, Jenner etc) Interestingly, the ones I find myself wanting 3 or more of is now my OmniMechs. Because as has been said, they can be made into anything and it is easier to play them if they are already set up. And in cost C-Bills to strip Artemis etc off.

IS Mechs, on the other hand, are set. And some set ups I simply dislike and would only play them if I have nothing else. In fact i hate having to do pilot trees on Mechs i do not like to play.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,657 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Be very weary of that low resell price. The TBR is not a cheap mech if you ever decide to rebuy it. On the other hand, you can rebuy it with cbills rather than MC.

#10 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

I have 37 mechs right now and yes the answer could be valid "kepp mechs because they can be quirked..."

But for me that is less relevant.

I keep the mechs I like (mostly the look) or i like because of some sentimental value - although they are often not competitive. I have 3 hunchbacks which i play once in a year, but they at least differ strong (one has missile one has ballistic one has energy only).
On omnimechs I usualy keep one variant but multiple omnipods to change the build when i'm get bored with one.
But yep if you feel you don't need them or you wont play them feel free to sell them after mastering.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 26 September 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

There is a reason not to sell mech: mechs are more/less popular with time. Some get quirks, some become meta, some lose their meta status. I never regretted the fact that I've never sold a mech. I would have sold some mechs but later they became valuable for me.

This is less the case with omni Mechs. You can just use the omni pods across the variants.

Most omnimech torsos are identical. In the case of the Timby, 3 variant's CTs have an energy hardpoint, one has a ballistic hardpoint, and one has no hardpoint at all. I sold the S chassis as it had no center hardpoint and I cannot envisage a time that I will ever need to field 5 Timbies all at once.

A Mech Bay is more valuable than a Mech that will never get used.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostAppogee, on 27 September 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

This is less the case with omni Mechs. You can just use the omni pods across the variants.

Most omnimech torsos are identical. In the case of the Timby, 3 variant's CTs have an energy hardpoint, one has a ballistic hardpoint, and one has no hardpoint at all. I sold the S chassis as it had no center hardpoint and I cannot envisage a time that I will ever need to field 5 Timbies all at once.

A Mech Bay is more valuable than a Mech that will never get used.

I like the TBR-S because it's the only way to have a TBR with only one JJ, which has some use. Better than the prime and its useless ballistic slot IMO.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

I frequently sell off Mechs I do not enjoy playing, but I have a lot of Mechs (I am not sure in the exact count but we'll over 200) so if I do not enjoy playing a varient I get rid of it, in some cases (Dire Wolf)I would sell off all the variants of chassis if I could (DWF-Prime(I) cannot be sold) however I still try a few things on any Mect to make it work (Dire needs at least a 350 engine for me to not hate piloting it but it is locked at a 300).

If you hate piloting something then get rid of it, if you hane more coppies than you need and you are sure you will not want it again then sell it.

With the Timber I kept 1 of each CT, the Prime for the balistic hardpoint, the S for the fixed Jumpjet and the C for the energy point, the I think the other varients all have an E hardpoint CT

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

I look at it this way.. My time, verse money..

Perhaps selling a stripped light might be worth it, But even then it is still a good day of grinding by the time you get upgrades. 4+ mill for a IS light. Clan lights are even more and can take a weekend. Larger mechs can take me weeks of playing, if not a month.

when i can just spend 7 bucks on occasion, and buy a bunch of days that could take me months to fill, it is just not worth it for me. I have mechs that i have not played in years.. *HBK 4P i'm looking at you, even though i love HBK's. But i just can't get myself to sell it. I won't get anything for it, maybe 1.5m? and to rebuy if one day i decide to, it would take me a very long weekend of play.

that weekend could buy my another module or two instead.. I'd just rather do that and spend my pocket change from time to time. This coming from a person that has about 100 bucks to spend on games a year. So when i say spend 7-14 bucks, for me, that means not getting 3-4 other complete games, as most games i buy are under 5 bucks by the time i get them.

But as far as timbers go, those are one mech i could easily use another one or two.. they have so many good load outs, and i rather just launch, than play parts warrior looking for everything i need for 15 mins just to play how i want.

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 September 2016 - 01:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users