Medium Brawlers

44 replies to this topic

#1 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Been away from the game awile, but love my medium brawlers, Hows it looking for inner sphere these days? Mainly run a shadowhawk 2d2 1 ac10, 4 srm4's

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

really the best brawler is either a Griff, Cent and if you like the torso mounted AC20, the huncie.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostCD0UG, on 27 September 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Been away from the game awile, but love my medium brawlers, Hows it looking for inner sphere these days? Mainly run a shadowhawk 2d2 1 ac10, 4 srm4's

still viable. Fairly common in scouting, along with 4x SRM6A Griffin 2Ns.

#4 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

The Griffins are great, and so are the centurions. The Poor Hunchback actually feels a bit anemic with only the auto cannon and a few mediums. At least, compared to the 4 SRM 6 griffins and the AC 20/ 3 SRM 4 Centurions.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 28 September 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

The Griffins are great, and so are the centurions. The Poor Hunchback actually feels a bit anemic with only the auto cannon and a few mediums. At least, compared to the 4 SRM 6 griffins and the AC 20/ 3 SRM 4 Centurions.

I do not personally recommend it, but I have a lancemate that use the AC20 HBK in scouting specifically to hunt light mechs.
IF you can land a round on target, 20 points of PP-FLD is bad news for light.

That said, make mine a Griffin 2N

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:30 PM

Hunchback 4SP

Still the tanking god of Med Brawling. The amount of times I've got that mech under 20% is insane.

#7 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 September 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hunchback 4SP
Still the tanking god of Med Brawling. The amount of times I've got that mech under 20% is insane.

too bad by the time you get into range to use the SRMs, most of your armor has been stripped

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

Well given this thread is about... Wait for it... Medium Brawlers, and brawling is done under 300m.

What on earth is the point of your post exactly? SRMs are well in range.

And it is not as if you are going to fire AC20 rounds from a 4G at 450m? Well maybe you are, and I can tell you that is an absolute waste of time.

#9 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 September 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Well given this thread is about... Wait for it... Medium Brawlers, and brawling is done under 300m.
What on earth is the point of your post exactly? SRMs are well in range.
And it is not as if you are going to fire AC20 rounds from a 4G at 450m? Well maybe you are, and I can tell you that is an absolute waste of time.

Because most of the other brawlers have reliable means of reach out passed 300m.

#10 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 30 September 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Because most of the other brawlers have reliable means of reach out passed 300m.

actually I find IS mechs have atrocious range abilities... 300m is is-LPL range
you can run long range guns on a IS medium, but you need to have a very light engine so your speed could e as slow as some assaults... not really suitable for brawlers

and there is not much opportunity to run masses of AC for is on a medium mech so it has to restrain its ability to vomit long range damage

if we were talking about clan mechs that's another story, clanners are pretty comfortable vomiting damage at 400-600m out of a medium laser brawler

Edited by maimaimi, 30 September 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

Since we are on the subject off medium brawlers I have a question or two for you better players:

I like Griffins for srm spam and even a bit of energy (especially Sparky), I like Crabs for pure energy (and the way they look), I like a couple of the Cicada's (but mostly the L) for being a pest, I like Cents and Enforcers for mixed ballistic build and lasers, but mostly I still like the Black Jack for just about everything (soon to have a missile variant).

So my question is in light of having all those mechs: are the Shadowhawks and Hunchies worth playing and keeping? I have them all basic-ed but I am not enjoying any particularly and I wouldn't mind freeing up some mech bays. At this point I am honestly only interested in the 4SP for the insane quirks and the Shadow Hawks only because I wanted something that felt like a Centurion with jump jets. But none, thus far, are feeling like something I would play over those mentioned in my first paragraph (short of another massive requirkening).

So if you would be so kind please explain to this terribad why the SHs and Hunchies are worth mastering, and if you use them regularly over other mediums and why? Thanks.

#12 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hunchbacks. 4P / 4 SP while 4G is ok as well.

Both run with standard engine (4P can shield with full left side) and good heat efficiency for brawling while the 4P has more focussed damage and the SP more HP and more spread-focussed.

Running both variants in Scouting and Invasion as well. Great mechs and chassis is good for beginners because of good speed and varying weapon systems across the variants.

Edited by Exard3k, 30 September 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#13 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

The Hunchback isn't bad, it's just seen better days. With some of the firepower you can put on medium mechs the hunchback just doesn't quite hold up in brawl like it used to. However, it is much tankier than the Griffin, or even Cent, especially considering that the best builds for the Griffin and Cents use XL engines. The other thing about the hunchback is that if you are a proficient pilot, you can shield with the left side without having to worry about the XL engine. That being said, if you are a less than proficient hunchback pilot, you run the risk of losing all your weapons if your right hunch goes down.

#14 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 September 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Since we are on the subject off medium brawlers I have a question or two for you better players:

I like Griffins for srm spam and even a bit of energy (especially Sparky), I like Crabs for pure energy (and the way they look), I like a couple of the Cicada's (but mostly the L) for being a pest, I like Cents and Enforcers for mixed ballistic build and lasers, but mostly I still like the Black Jack for just about everything (soon to have a missile variant).

So my question is in light of having all those mechs: are the Shadowhawks and Hunchies worth playing and keeping? I have them all basic-ed but I am not enjoying any particularly and I wouldn't mind freeing up some mech bays. At this point I am honestly only interested in the 4SP for the insane quirks and the Shadow Hawks only because I wanted something that felt like a Centurion with jump jets. But none, thus far, are feeling like something I would play over those mentioned in my first paragraph (short of another massive requirkening).

So if you would be so kind please explain to this terribad why the SHs and Hunchies are worth mastering, and if you use them regularly over other mediums and why? Thanks.

My favorite 'mech is the HBK-4SP.
I run mine with a Std. 275 engine, so it has the speed and maneuverabilty to torso twist as well as or better than any mech in the game, and the quirks make it a tough little mech.
Now, you still can't face tank with it, you have to use that speed and absorb that incoming damage with the hunches, then unload with either 2 SRM4+A and 5 ML or 2 SRM6 and 5 ML. It has speed, mobility, armor, and packs a decent punch up close.

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Kimberm and Hotthedd (and anyone else), thoughts on other Hunchies or Shadow Hawks?

#16 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

I've started playing the 2D2 build listed by the OP and it's still a lot of fun! I've also been having fun in my Grey Death for some AC20 brawling and supporting the assaults.

As per keeping Shadowhawks, it's hard to say because each build does something different. 2D2 for brawling, 2K for the sweet 3 energy, and the 2H for triple ballistics. If you have any other variants and have three with basics I'd sell them. Well, not the Grey Death because AC20 boom!

#17 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Kimberm and Hotthedd (and anyone else), thoughts on other Hunchies or Shadow Hawks?

I had sold all my other hunchies pre-quirkening, so I cannot comment fairly on them. I have seen many of them doing quite well.
I personally did not ever get a good feel for the Shadow Hawk.

#18 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostZookeeper Dan, on 01 October 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

I've started playing the 2D2 build listed by the OP and it's still a lot of fun! I've also been having fun in my Grey Death for some AC20 brawling and supporting the assaults.

As per keeping Shadowhawks, it's hard to say because each build does something different. 2D2 for brawling, 2K for the sweet 3 energy, and the 2H for triple ballistics. If you have any other variants and have three with basics I'd sell them. Well, not the Grey Death because AC20 boom!

5m for the jump jet goodness :)

#19 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Like Hotthedd, I sold my Hunchbacks before the quirkining, and moved on to bigger mechs (ASSAULT MECHS FTW!!!!) However, I can give you my opinion on the 4p, as it is my most used mech of all time......

A long time ago when I used to be a terribad newb, I piloted the hunchback 4p almost exclusively. It taught be everything I know about laservomit and brawling, and I still am sad I sold it. It's a very interesting mech to play, but it is absolutely brutal if used properly.......... Example, I've broken 1,000 damage and 7 kills in the mech (The partyback is one of the trolliest mechs in the game.). Anyways, play it like a striker and you'll do extremely well. Strap on a 290 engine with 6 ML, 3 Small pulse, and as many heatsinks as you can fit. 97 KPH with an insane alpha and great hardpoint location means that you have the potential to deal crazy amounts of damage before the enemy even knows what it is engaging. That being said, left side peeking is a tad bit difficult, but is still manageable. Wait........... 6ml is no longer an insane amount of damage for a medium mech........... You can still try it.

The 4sp was my least favorite. 2 SRM hardpoints is very anemic, and always has been.

#20 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 01 October 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

Like Hotthedd, I sold my Hunchbacks before the quirkining, and moved on to bigger mechs (ASSAULT MECHS FTW!!!!) However, I can give you my opinion on the 4p, as it is my most used mech of all time......

A long time ago when I used to be a terribad newb, I piloted the hunchback 4p almost exclusively. It taught be everything I know about laservomit and brawling, and I still am sad I sold it. It's a very interesting mech to play, but it is absolutely brutal if used properly.......... Example, I've broken 1,000 damage and 7 kills in the mech (The partyback is one of the trolliest mechs in the game.). Anyways, play it like a striker and you'll do extremely well. Strap on a 290 engine with 6 ML, 3 Small pulse, and as many heatsinks as you can fit. 97 KPH with an insane alpha and great hardpoint location means that you have the potential to deal crazy amounts of damage before the enemy even knows what it is engaging. That being said, left side peeking is a tad bit difficult, but is still manageable. Wait........... 6ml is no longer an insane amount of damage for a medium mech........... You can still try it.

The 4sp was my least favorite. 2 SRM hardpoints is very anemic, and always has been.

4SP is actually stupidly well quirked for torso durability. Also has the benefit of being symmetrical, meaning that if you lose one hunch, you're not out of the game, yet. The damage is a little anemic given the current fare, but it is a popular ride in CW 4v4 because it is so tanky against anyone who aims higher than the legs, the convergence on the two A-SRM6 is just magnificent, and it can carry more than enough flamers to near instantly heatlock your opponents.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 October 2016 - 02:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users