Is Streaks.. How To Fix Um?

50 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

I have been trying to think of how to fix IS streaks for a while now. with PTS getting fixes, and changes what should they do with these?

My thoughts would be to decrease cool down to what SRM2's are. aka 2.0 secs down from 3.5. They would still not cluster like SRM2's, meaning a pair or 3 SRM2's on something like a light, would still be the better way to go due to the tight cluster..

Clan streaks, work very well.. IS streaks it's really hard to justify on most mechs.. and trust me i have tried.. mainly just for fun, or light protection on slow mechs that don't have many energy hard points.

So what do you think, how should IS streaks be fixed/changed.. outside of making them CT seekers in the days of old.. :)

#2 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

Decreasing the speed they change direction so fast mechs can dodge them and buff the heck out of them.

#3 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

If IS streaks would go back to targeting CT's, or at least torso+CT, it would make a difference IMO.

That or match the longer range of clan Streaks.

#4 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

How about giving us IS SSRM4s and SSRM6s? That would even things up a bit.

#5 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

the problem is IS streaks can be fired at Clan or IS Mechs

so any changes would result in people crying about them

next Clan Streaks suck the only way to make them work is to boat them

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

You fix IS Streaks the same way you fix Clan Streaks...by reworking the lock-on mechanics to involve actual aiming, and then adjusting several stats like cooldown/spread/etc. based on the impact of the mechanics change.

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

Streaks used to be 2.5 damage per missile, I suggest you start there.

#8 Drenath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationIL-US

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

Let me shoot them without a lock.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 27 September 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

Streaks used to be 2.5 damage per missile, I suggest you start there.

They were kinda broken during that time though, especially before the random hitbox targeting was added. I remember the dark days of when the IS SSRM2 was quite literally the best missile weapon in the game. Yes, that did actually happen at one point.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

Does Clan Streaks really need 360 meter range, while IS Streak wallows in 270 meter range? Shouldn't we just normalize them both to 270 meter range so Light wouldn't feels as shafted as they are now?

And yes, IS SSRM4/6 are way overdue. ******* Cheetahs.

#11 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostFupDup, on 27 September 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

You fix IS Streaks the same way you fix Clan Streaks...by reworking the lock-on mechanics to involve actual aiming, and then adjusting several stats like cooldown/spread/etc. based on the impact of the mechanics change.

View PostFupDup, on 27 September 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

They were kinda broken during that time though, especially before the random hitbox targeting was added. I remember the dark days of when the IS SSRM2 was quite literally the best missile weapon in the game. Yes, that did actually happen at one point.

A moot point, since the guy who coded the Streaks probably left the company a long time ago. I do like the idea of TAG or some sort of skill involved to actually direct Streaks (and LRMs).

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 September 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

And yes, IS SSRM4/6 are way overdue. ******* Cheetahs all light mechs.

Fixed that for you.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

View PostLyoto Machida, on 27 September 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

Still have a tonnage disadvantage (like normal SRMs)

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

@FupDup: No that dark age was eons ago during the reign of Commandos and Ravens. I am talking more recent meta pre-cheetah when Streaktaros were still valued to combat the plague of Firestarters.

Those Kintaros were very niche and not OP while still being fun. The other 55 tonners to a lesser extent.

Edited by Spheroid, 27 September 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 27 September 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

@FupDup: No that dark age was eons ago during the reign of Commandos and Ravens. I am talking more recent meta pre-cheetah when Streaktaros were still valued to combat the plague of Firestarters.

Those Kintaros were very niche and not OP while still being fun. The other 55 tonners to a lesser extent.

The IS SSRM2 was still freakishly strong during the reign of the Streaktaro. I know this because I was driving one of those Streaktaros.

Also, Firestarters were never a "plague." People like to call them OP a lot, but they never have been.

Historically speaking, I also thought that it was actually Spiders that were the common complaint at the Streaktaro time rather than FS9's?

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

well there is a little bit of skill with streaks

just like real life heat seeking missiles or radar guided missiles

understanding how these types of missile work will improve your use with lock on missiles

Radar guided missiles are an intercept weapons so putting the piper right on top of the target is not helping the missile

on a fast moving target putting the piper little ahead of the target will help the missile

don't tell anyone

Edited by Davegt27, 27 September 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

IS streaks weigh much more than Clan Streaks, so they should have a longer range and less heat than the clan equivalent. There's no (non-neckbeard) reason why the clan streaks should have a range beyond 270m and weigh that much less than IS streaks.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 27 September 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

next Clan Streaks suck the only way to make them work is to boat them

I dunno about that.. I run a pair of 4's or 6's on a bunch of mechs, and i do pretty well with them.. Sure my mech runs a bit hotter, because i basically skip a few heat sinks to squeeze um in, and maybe drop a laser.. but i find for combating lights it works well. My favorite mech runs a 3 6's, though i guess you would call that a boat.. Posted Image

still a few banks can work quite well for back ups.

Personally i think IS SRM2's and streaks should loose .5 tons anyway.. I don't think i have ever seen anyone say, boating 2's was OP, due to face time needed.. But it would give light mechs a nice SRM option. That and a +ammo quirk on some lights.. Posted Image (*cough commando+raven+locust+spider)

I do like the idea of Tag, making them target better too.. that could be a really interesting option. a way to aim um through holding Tag on a spot on the mech.

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 September 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

About the specific idea of reducing their cooldown, that would cause the problem of the IS SSRM2 having the same DPS as the Clan Streak6.

2x2 damage / 2 seconds = 2.0 DPS

2x6 damage / 6 seconds = 2.0 DPS

That would be kind of a big problem...

Edited by FupDup, 27 September 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#20 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:55 PM

For me the only way for even streaks without changing heatsinks balance and maybe some others addictionnals things is:
By nerfing clans streaks.

Less ammo, less damage, less range are many differents brackets which could be used if PGI wanna balance but ... yea you know what is good for MWO Posted Image

A bit bigger cooldown ( and even bigger for streaks4 and 6 ), more heat could be done but won't really change anything coze clans streakboats just need to alpha time to time ( between each jumps for example ) for heavily hurt a light or a medium... or chain fire for distract a heavy or a assault before hide.

I use streak boats sometime, on FW or QP and i have to say its really easy mode even in 3rd view. " Best Esport in tha world " someone said ?
Oh a mention to mangoba who did take place on top of maddog leaderboard in middle of streaks users :) with his srms maddog... awesome job bro Posted Image

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 September 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

My thoughts would be to decrease cool down to what SRM2's are. aka 2.0 secs down from 3.5. They would still not cluster like SRM2's, meaning a pair or 3 SRM2's on something like a light, would still be the better way to go due to the tight cluster..

And after this what will be yours throughts for buff srms2 vs streaks2 ?

View PostLyoto Machida, on 27 September 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

It wont even nothing cause clan double heatsinks are less efficient than IS double heatsink ( from far ).

View PostFupDup, on 27 September 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

About the specific idea of reducing their cooldown, that would cause the problem of the IS SSRM2 having the same DPS as the Clan Streak6.

2x2 damage / 2 seconds = 2.0 DPS

2x6 damage / 6 seconds = 2.0 DPS

That would be kind of a big problem...

Add to this problem that IS heat management is better than clan heat management well it will be funny to see a wave of doommando being so OP ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users