#1 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnywhere and everywhere....

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

So I'm trying to find out some info, and the quickest way is through the community. I have enough to buy any heavy mech during the sale, I'm interested in only the 75 toners. I was looking at the MAD- 5D, I already own three variants of the Timber wolf (favorite mech).
I was also thinking of buying a forth timber but don't know if that's a waste. I did own a thunder bolt but got rid of it, so I have many IS weapons left over. I'm just on the fence here, If anyone can shed some knowledge that would be great.

Thanks....

#2 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

I consider the Marauder one of the best 'mechs in the game - I've mastered the 3R, 5D & 5M. Since you're only interested in 75-ton 'mechs, from what I gather from player preferences in-game and posts on this forum, the MAD is a better acquisition than the Orion.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 28 September 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Hello,

So I'm trying to find out some info, and the quickest way is through the community. I have enough to buy any heavy mech during the sale, I'm interested in only the 75 toners. I was looking at the MAD- 5D, I already own three variants of the Timber wolf (favorite mech).
I was also thinking of buying a forth timber but don't know if that's a waste. I did own a thunder bolt but got rid of it, so I have many IS weapons left over. I'm just on the fence here, If anyone can shed some knowledge that would be great.

Thanks....

The WHM is the best on the IS side. The MAD is alright. Under energy draw, its stock may rise.

#4 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

PRP,

If you only want 75 tonners, and your experience is with TBR's; most other chassis, especially, Inner Sphere ones, will be quite a different experience.

You need to ask yourself, did you leverage the JJ Timber slot, did you add torso pod to allow JJ in other models, are you reliant on JJ's?

If yes, then the Inner Sphere 75 tonners might feel slow and lumbering. I think the Grasshopper (70 Tons ) is reasonable. It has JJ, but is laser vomit..no dakka, no missle ( not much )...

It's hard to recommend, because mechs I thought I might like, I did poor in, and mechs I thought I'd hate ( Quickdraw ), I fell in love with. Boils down to play style. But you probably can't go wrong with an Inner Sphere Grasshopper..

Enjoi

Edited by Flak Kannon, 28 September 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#5 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Need some more info on your likes and dislikes... but to weigh in:

Personally I love the marauder. I recommend it almost unreservedly. The mounts are all pretty decent, and you can do a fair bit with the different builds. I recently snagged Ace of Spades in my BH2.

I feel like the WHM tends to have more heat issues overall, and relies more heavily on AC/Dakka. It otherwise lacks a bit in agility (no JJ option at all), and the arm mounts are a bit low (highest mounts are missile, followed by ballistic/energy mix). I feel like it requires more face time to do a decent attack with.

Notice, for all the whm fans, I say "i feel like". Means it is my opinion, and not gospel truth.

That said, the BW is pretty great, as is the 3x missile mount variant (if you like missiles, the whm is better for you, especially if you like lrms... the missile marauder should be srm6 x2 and naught else).

I would also say consider the ebon jaguar. Sales are probably the best time to buy omnis for cbills. You are saving more. The EBJ is great all around for a variety of play styles, with great high mounts. About the only downsides to the EBJ are lack of JJ and reduced tonnage to play with (meaning you will either have to watch your heat carefully, be strategic in where you armor down, or both)

If you have 3 omni variants, i would say buying a 4th is a waste UNLESS you need more for your drop deck... especially if the Omni-Set quirk bonuses are non-existent (which they are for the Tbr... 2.5% exp? Come on.). You are better off just buying omnipods and flavoring to taste.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostTercieI, on 28 September 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

The WHM is the best on the IS side. The MAD is alright. Under energy draw, its stock may rise.

Not if we force ED to die in a fire like it deserves.

It can hangout with the non-rotational mini-map, and that poor attempt at info war.

But yes, WHM>Maddy in most cases.

#7 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

$0,02 from a newbie:

I started playing a couple of months ago with CAT:s and then moved to Marauders. I really, really like the MAD-3R (2xAC5 + 4MPL). With endo and ferro it's quite the tank. The 5M and 5D, not so much. Might be the XL-engines that get me killed all the time... The missile hardpoints on 5D feel kinda useless and the 5M is basicly less tanky 3R with jump jets.

I recently bought WHM pack + the Black Widow (because I have had a thing for WHM:s since I was a kid). To be honset, I was kinda let down by the BW. I can't seem get it to work the way I like. Too squishy and slow with my dakka-setup (2xAC5 + 2xAC2+2xSML). I'm currently running the 6R (2xERLL, 4xMLS, LRM10) wich I like WAY more than the BW (all tough my match score might prove otherwise..). It's just more versatile and fun.

So, I would recommend the Marauder (over Warhammer) but if you only get a single variant, go for the 3R instead of 5D.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:34 PM

Out of all the heavies my recomendation would be the Warhammer which is, in my opinion, the best Mech currently ingame, and my best Mech for consistant good performance, I rarely get the realy good or realy bad games I do with other Mechs.

As you are only after 75 ton heavies that leaves the

Black Knight, an ok Mech, energy boat, I got my best ever game in a black Knight (1116 damage with 5 kills and still fully functional, albeit at the point that raking a single ML over the Mech would probably have killed or crippled the Mech, at match end) but despite the one exceptional performance I never fell in love with that Mech the way I have with several others.

Orion, I could not make that Mech work well, same goes for the Orion IIC

Timber Wolf, if you already have 3 and the 3 include the Prime and S varients (for the 3 unique CTs, B hardpoint on the prime, Jumpjet on the S, the others all have E hardpoints CT) buying a 4th will not allow you to do anything you cannot do with omnipods, most of my exceptional games were iin the Timber but I also have a lot of realy bad games where the enemy see a timber and I am down in a few seconds

Marauder, the most durable of the 75 ton Mechs, a great Mech in my opinion second only to the WHM, can safely run XL or standard engine but tends to be a bit more survivable with a standard, many times have my MADs survived incoming fire that would have destroyed most other Mechs and still been fully functional.
most variants are energy with Balistics, and if you do buy one check them all out first and try to get one of the varients which already has most of the upgrades as that will look more expensive to purchase but work out a lot cheeper in the long run

#9 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

Definitely recommend the Mad, the Warammer is more meta but I like the Mad and it is fairly tanky. Don't buy a 4th timber as you can just buy omnipods.

#10 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnywhere and everywhere....

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments.

So I went with the MAD-5D being I'm a energy and missile user. I really don't use ballistics, too much weight for guns and ammo. I'm liking it so far, really different from the Timber wolf. Also the whole dynamic structure slots taking up all the space when using endo kinda sucks, always have extra tonnage left over. I never really have that issue with clanner mech's, is that an IS thing?...
Anyway, thanks everyone again for your helpful insights...

P.S. Cant wait for the Marauder 2C, it looks so damn sexy....(will have to wait for it to go on sale with c-bills tho....)

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Are you using endo and ferro? If so, more often than not you only want endo.

If you like your load out, and are completely out of free slots but still have leftover tonnage, then it is time to look at a larger engine.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 28 September 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

It can hangout with the non-rotational mini-map.

I wonder if i was the only one that liked that.. It helped me keep my barrings far better than the darn one that rotates.. Was so much easier to know exactly which way i was heading verse always having to hit B, to open the battle grid..

I so wish they would use a check box, to stop rotation as an OPTION..

I really wonder how much of it, is people are just used to it rotating,, not, its a bad idea to rotate..

Back on topic.. OP do you have both endo+ ferro? or are you using an XL engine? or just having trouble squeezing in lots of heat sinks for your energy boat? Could try posting the build from smurfy http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ and get some tips

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:24 PM

If you are having trouble using all the tonage (as in run out of slots) your options are
Add more armor if you can
Go for a higher rated engine, assuming you are not already using max engine (more tons for same slots) remove Fero Fibrus armor or if you do not have Fero remove Endo Steel Internals, Endo gives more free tonage for the same slots than fero

if you have an XL engine swap it for a standard

Switch to heavier weapons,

if after doing all the above you still have free tonage add a Balistic weapon, I know you said you do not like them but ACs and Gauss are heavy but are also very effective weapons, the IS versions are single shot for the damage number unlike most Clan ACs

#14 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 28 September 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Hello,

Thanks....

Marauder is a solid IS mech, the best of the bunch is the 3R, for more info about the chassis please go to metamechs or similar sites.
If you want to spend some $ on the game and you like the Timberwolf, the Timberwolf's hero was announced yesterday. A bit pricey but a permanent +30% C-Bills bonus on a Timberwolf might justify the money spent on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users