It's Time To Discuss Content! What Is Considered Content To You?

Gameplay

76 replies to this topic

#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

I think it's a weird question in the first place, obviously everything that is put into a game makes up the content of that game whatever it is.

If the game is good or if you like a new addition, or if you think a certain things are needed and other are not and so on, those are questions of what you value and have nothing to do with the definition of "content".

Just state plainly what you want instead of turning it into a definition of words game.

#22 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

To me content is stuff to do. Mechs, camos, colors, etc. are avatars and avatar customization. Content is game modes, maps, meta gaming (building mechs, FW strategy, building dropdecks), MW Academy challenges, etc. Mechs are a vehicle to enjoy content because at this point there are so many mechs available that it is really hard for new ones to offer anything truly unique and compelling.

If different avatars make playing the same modes and maps again compelling because they offer a new way to new way to play and thus a new experience then they make old content feel new and fresh but I am past that with MWO. I have 90 some odd mechs which means I already have a mech that can do just about any loadout or role that I want to use. Even new mechs that I want to see like the Piranha that have unique hardpoints and offer new builds are not terribly exciting because that 12 MG Piranha isn't going to play that differently from any other fast light with short range weapons.

Content is what MWO desperately needs to keep me interested and excited. New maps and modes are much more compelling to me than new mechs.

#23 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

While I appreciate that mech packs are new content, take a tremendous amount of effort to get done, and provide PGI with steady income, there are other forms of content that I would very much like to see worked on.

PvE, for one - especially if it is cooperative. Something to break up the usual mech deathmatch. It provides a real opportunity to delve into the lore of the battletech universe, as well as introduce things like mechs, infantry, and aircraft as allied or hostile NPCs.

Maps. I mean, we actually have quite a lot of maps, but 2/3 of them basically play out the same way. The current map voting system also limits what you see too much, as the same exact maps keep getting voted on. More and truly unique new maps are always welcome, but that voting system needs to be altered such that the less popular a map is, the more often it appears to be voted on, and the total number of maps to be voted on should be reduced from 4 to 3 in order to provide a tougher choices in the map voting screen.

Game modes. An asymmetric attack/defend game mode, a limited respawn game mode, and a Free For All game mode would be welcome.

#24 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

I consider the following "Content"
-Mechs
-Weapons
-Maps (includes map revamps)
-Game Modes
-Modules
-Major fixes (grand mech rescale)
-PVE (includes tutorial elements)
-Solaris
-Melee
-Collision/DFA
-NPC tanks/mechs/soldiers
-New systems (ED/Scaling Heat Penalties)
-Decals
-Paint
-Patterns

I might agree we have plenty of mechs for now, but they obviously have a decent assembly line for them so no need to stop so long as they can still move along other content. Honestly I want DFA and collision damage more than anything else right now.

#25 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 29 September 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

I think it's a weird question in the first place, obviously everything that is put into a game makes up the content of that game whatever it is.

If the game is good or if you like a new addition, or if you think a certain things are needed and other are not and so on, those are questions of what you value and have nothing to do with the definition of "content".

Just state plainly what you want instead of turning it into a definition of words game.

This is a very fair assessment and one I ultimately agree with.

#26 Darth Hotz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim of Berlin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

There is a difference between content and cosmetics.

Decals, resize, camos, new textures and also new mechs are cosmetics. Lets face it, what else is a new mech than a new mixture of parts we already know and play with for years?

Content would be new game modes, new maps and a serious rework of faction play.

I still dont understand why PGI does not take a good look on other games and borrow some working ideas there. I also dont understand why they dont involve the community to create new maps. This could and would also serve as a tool to restart the bad relationship between PGI and us customers.

I would be even open for a money campaign to get new modes and maps. Instead of wasting money on a forgotten tournament or for a mechcon, they could use it for new content. Why not sell badges, like they did to support the tournament, that give you a cbill boost for 3 months and the money they earn goes into the rework of faction play?

I would be willing to pay to get a faction play that deserves its name.

#27 Airwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

in older games there are campaigns and then there is that thing called scenarios. it would do wonder if there are maps with preset lance locations and also a story behind it. even a reinforcement lance which drops in after 5 minutes etc. scenarios such as the last defense of planet x or the final push would bring great content imo. if they figure out a way to tie this to FW then this will be a Grand game! fw as it is, is to time consuming to the casual player. i believe a more controlled daily or weekly war scenarios would play out better. players would contribute to victory points.

its a hard system to be implemented. but i have the right to dream ~ ;]

#28 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 29 September 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

It isn't so weird if PGI thinks that they are delivering us new content on a clear 90-day schedule but the player base doesn't see their "reworks" of all things big and small as new content.

#29 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

You folks have a funny way of arguing semantics...

If I give you a bowl of soup I've given you content. If I give you a bowl of soup with noodles in it, I've added content. Yes, it's still soup but now there is something new. I.e... Content.

Any argument that decals etc are cosmetics and not content is splitting hairs...

#30 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

^ No one cares about muggle millenial gamer definitions of what is or isn't content because they haven't a clue about what is features or content and haven't a clue about software development.

#31 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostDaZur, on 29 September 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

If I give you a bowl of soup I've given you content. If I give you a bowl of soup with noodles in it, I've added content. Yes, it's still soup but now there is something new. I.e... Content.

Any argument that decals etc are cosmetics and not content is splitting hairs...

It is certainly semantics.

But if Russ were to say "major new content coming!" and then that content turned out to be a new shade of red exclusively for use on light mechs, I think a lot of people would be pissed and suggest that a shade of camo is not major, or even new even if it is content.

But hey there are a lot of light mechs right? They are a major part of the game right? That shade of red is slightly different, so its new right?

The above discussion of what is or isn't content may be one based on semantics and definitions but those things matter when viewed through the lens of people's expectations.

Edited by Bud Crue, 29 September 2016 - 10:07 AM.

#32 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostDaZur, on 29 September 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

But I think the reason why this thread exists is this:

Let's say I'm a customer at your restaurant and you give me a bowl of soup.

It's tasty and comes in a lovely bowl. The soup is broth, an egg, noodles, and chicken.

As beautiful as the bowls are and as much as i like a good chicken noodle soup, I want more choices.

The restaurant says OK, we're workin on it. In particular, we're working on sandwiches to go with the soup.

So every month, I come back to the restaurant, and they say look, we have this sweet new bowl. Big ones, small ones, square ones, triangular ones, and their are more and more bowl varieties as the months become years.

As a customer, I start wanting more content options for my soup: mushrooms, okra, carrots, pepper, etc...

And I also ask about them sandwiches every so often.

One day, the sandwiches appear! Woohoo!

But the bread is moldy and the sandwiches are lettuce sandwiches...

So I say but when you said sandwich I was thinking ham, cheese, meatballs and marinara, gyros, and all we got is lettuce.

The response to this is, well, we now have white eggs and brown eggs, chicken breasts, thighs and wings.

But the restaurant says fine, we'll work on it. I have a special after hours discussion of the sandwiches over coffee and about how to make them satisfying.

Then, the next time I come back, the restaurant says here you go.

You look on in shock and horror to see the bread and lettuce floating in a bowl of broth, noodles, an egg, and chicken.

Here, we've fixed the sandwich!

Plus, we have an all new Night Bowl! It's gonna be sweet.

And then the customer says, But I wanted new content!

And the restaurant says, whaddaya mean? We have all kinds of bowls, chicken pieces, and egg varieties.. We provide you with content regularly!

But I want mushrooms, okra, carrots, and pepper. AND I want those sandwiches you promised, not some bread floating in soup.

The response to this is a deafening silence...until the restaurant says wait....we have a surprise for you...it's a new HUNT BOWL!

Meanwhile, there is a rumor that this restaurant is just a space saver/placeholder while the restaurant management plans a new bistro across town.

Edited by Hunka Junk, 29 September 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#33 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

I would like to see a McRugby Game Mode, even if it is in Private matches only...

Some of the most Fun Matches I've ever played.......

Edited by Lazor Sharp, 29 September 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#34 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Any addition to the game is content, it's a fact, and no arguing, that it isn't, makes it less so.

Whether it's game changing, brings something new, or is of high value to people, is another matter.

What do I consider content getting excited about.

Decals were something i looked forward to, only to be very disapointed in how the alpha layers worked, and the level of stupid that has been achieved by them.

FW was content I thought this game badly needed, and we got a place holder, that has become steadily worse as content was added.

I look forward to certain new mechs being added, few left now, and hoping they arrive before my wallet seals up next year.

Maps I could happily look forward to if they remove voting and go back to random, zero point in adding more while people vote for the same four over and over.

Edited by Cathy, 29 September 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#35 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 29 September 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

^ No one cares about muggle millenial gamer definitions of what is or isn't content because they haven't a clue about what is features or content and haven't a clue about software development.

pffff, who needs thatPosted Image

millennial?

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 29 September 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#36 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 29 September 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

It is certainly semantics.

But if Russ were to say "major new content coming!" and then that content turned out to be a new shade of red exclusively for use on light mechs, I think a lot of people would be pissed and suggest that a shade of camo is not major, or even new even if it is content.

But hey there are a lot of light mechs right? They are a major part of the game right? That shade of red is slightly different, so its new right?

The above discussion of what is or isn't content may be one based on semantics and definitions but those things matter when viewed through the lens of people's expectations.

View PostHunka Junk, on 29 September 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

But I think the reason why this thread exists is this:

Let's say I'm a customer at your restaurant and you give me a bowl of soup.

It's tasty and comes in a lovely bowl. The soup is broth, an egg, noodles, and chicken.

As beautiful as the bowls are and as much as i like a good chicken noodle soup, I want more choices.

The restaurant says OK, we're workin on it. In particular, we're working on sandwiches to go with the soup.

So every month, I come back to the restaurant, and they say look, we have this sweet new bowl. Big ones, small ones, square ones, triangular ones, and their are more and more bowl varieties as the months become years.

As a customer, I start wanting more content options for my soup: mushrooms, okra, carrots, pepper, etc...

And I also ask about them sandwiches every so often.

One day, the sandwiches appear! Woohoo!

But the bread is moldy and the sandwiches are lettuce sandwiches...

So I say but when you said sandwich I was thinking ham, cheese, meatballs and marinara, gyros, and all we got is lettuce.

The response to this is, well, we now have white eggs and brown eggs, chicken breasts, thighs and wings.

But the restaurant says fine, we'll work on it. I have a special after hours discussion of the sandwiches over coffee and about how to make them satisfying.

Then, the next time I come back, the restaurant says here you go.

You look on in shock and horror to see the bread and lettuce floating in a bowl of broth, noodles, an egg, and chicken.

Here, we've fixed the sandwich!

Plus, we have an all new Night Bowl! It's gonna be sweet.

And then the customer says, But I wanted new content!

And the restaurant says, whaddaya mean? We have all kinds of bowls, chicken pieces, and egg varieties.. We provide you with content regularly!

But I want mushrooms, okra, carrots, and pepper. AND I want those sandwiches you promised, not some bread floating in soup.

The response to this is a deafening silence...until the restaurant says wait....we have a surprise for you...it's a new HUNT BOWL!

Meanwhile, there is a rumor that this restaurant is just a space saver/placeholder while the restaurant management plans a new bistro across town.

Fair assessments...

That said, and I know my position is unpopular. The reality is regardless of how pedantic, trivial or inconsequential the addition is, anything added that was not there previously in any form is content added.

Even "I" qualify that if it's simply an existing red rock painted blue, it by itself is not new. That said, if it's utilized in some new or unique way, that blue rock is now new content.

Edited by DaZur, 29 September 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#37 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostDaZur, on 29 September 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Fair assessments...

That said, and I know my position is unpopular. The reality is regardless of how pedantic, trivial or the inconsequential the addition is, anything added that was not there previously in any form is content added.

Even "I" qualify that if it's simply an existing red rock painted blue, it by itself is not new. That said, if it's utilized in some new or unique way, that blue rock is now new content.

you got my vote

"Content" is Objective.

what's subjective is what people think of the content.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 29 September 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#38 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

New content for me would be:

- finally new weapons
- VR mode
- added features to CW, which would include new game modes, getting more out of planets like resources to build new weapons, trading, economics,...
- A new game engine, since it allows new features not possible now
- Elementals mode
- Explorable Hangar, where you can move the camera around your mech and make great Screenshots
- Custom geometry assets for mechs which you could by for MC
- Replays

#39 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 29 September 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

It isn't so weird if PGI thinks that they are delivering us new content on a clear 90-day schedule but the player base doesn't see their "reworks" of all things big and small as new content.

A much clearer way to speak about this is to say:

They are delivering new content on a monthly basis, but it's mostly **** content that everyone hates and almost nothing anyone wants.

That way you get the point across, that the development of this game sucks ***, but you don't get stuck up in confused and useless debates about semantics.

Edited by Sjorpha, 29 September 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#40 Alpha087

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:20 PM

I consider content to be something which adds more "replay" value to the game, or rather, encourages me to play the game more. New mechs and chassis, as nice as they are, are just not doing it for me anymore. I feel like we really have enough for now and would much rather pay for something such as PvE missions (single player or co-op), custom matches with AI and maybe some faction warfare story elements included in said PvE missions.

I want cool, lore-friendly battles similar to what I could get from MechWarrior 2 and 3. But with MWO's style of customization and modern graphics. I, personally, would rather pay for mission packs or something of the sort. Preferably solo with optional co-op, so I can finally start enjoying the game without dealing with queue times, while leaving the option open for when I'm able to play with friends.

Just my two cents anyways. I know I certainly won't be buying anymore mechs until I see them adding something for me to actually do with them other than quick play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users