- - - - -

Qq

4 replies to this topic

#1 CrayzG

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Just got this game a day or so ago. How do you get more ammo for your mec? ..Like, i need specific instructions becaues i admit i'm a little slow.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostCrayzG, on 28 September 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

Just got this game a day or so ago. How do you get more ammo for your mec? ..Like, i need specific instructions becaues i admit i'm a little slow.

First of all, welcome to MWO.

Do you own the mech or is it a trial mech you are using? Trial mechs cannot be modified.

IF you own the mech in question, you can modify it in the mechlab.

The basic idea is that any given mech only has a certain amount of space and tonnage to play with. So, presuming your mech is not running under tonnage (ie, a 75 ton Timber Wolf that is only tipping the scales at 74 tons) then you will need to either upgrade or replace some weapons or components.

This can be done several ways, for most mechs (non-omni mechs) you can upgrade to an endo frame or ferro armor. Both will drop the weight of the mech (presuming the mech does not already have them as upgrades) at the cost of taking up more space (which are called "slots" in game). General rule of thumb is go for endo before ferro, as it drops considerably more weight for the space it takes up.

Upgrading to double heat sinks is always a good idea, as you often get similar if not superior cooling for less weight than single heat sinks.

Upgrading to an XL motor may be a viable option (again, if your mech does not have one already). XL motors are much lighter than their standard counter-part, but come at the cost of taking up extra room in your side torsos, and making you easier to kill. For Inner Sphere, losing a single side torso will kill you when using XL. For clan mechs, you have to lose both side torsos on an XL before you die. A standard motor will only be knocked out when your center torso is shot out (this is also true for all XL motors).

Another option, though often risky if not done correctly, is to reduce your armor to free up weight. This is often only ideal on an arm (or arms) that carry no weapons or equipment. Shaving a bit of armor off your legs is also a common practice. However, the conventional wisdom is to run as much armor as possible.

Beyond that, you are stuck with having to replace an existing weapon, component or potentially ammo from a different weapon system.

Good luck.

p.s.
(check out YouTube for vids on mechbay mechanics, probably easier to watch than read about)

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostCrayzG, on 28 September 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'll let you know now, if you don't own your mech, you can't alter your mech. If you have selected a Trial mech to alter, it will give you a warning that any changes will not stay.

Besides that, once you have purchased a mech you will have free play to customize it (but doing so may/will cost you C-bills). To do so, go to the "mechlab" tab found on the top of the navigation bar in the game. Then, select mech (to select a mech you own, if you don't have one already selected). Make sure your search selections have "owned" or "all" selected and click on your mech you wish to customize.

From there, you will go to the mech customization screen (mechlab). The center of your screen should have an eight part diagram of your mech. To find weapon options, there is a "slide out" tab to the right of the screen. Hover your mouse over there and it should pop out. In that screen, the top of it has additional tabs, such as Weapon, Ammo, Equipment, Modules (and maybe even Omnipods if you have a valid mech for it).

There is also a slid tab on the bottom right as well, which can give you current statistics on your mech, such as armor values, heat management value, speed, quirk listings, etc. Don't forget that there is also your "type" tabs on the lower left portion, which will give you options (if you can) to change your mechs' structure from Standard to Endo-Steel, your armor from Standard to Ferro-Fibrious, and your heatsinks from Single to Double types. Out of these options, focus on Double Heatsinks first, then Endo (for weight savings) and last is Ferro (which saves weight, but not as much as Endo, and only in some select cases).

If you ever need build advice, just ask the forums. Plenty of people willing to help you customize a mech.

#4 CrayzG

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 28 September 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

First of all, welcome to MWO.

Do you own the mech or is it a trial mech you are using? Trial mechs cannot be modified.

IF you own the mech in question, you can modify it in the mechlab.

The basic idea is that any given mech only has a certain amount of space and tonnage to play with. So, presuming your mech is not running under tonnage (ie, a 75 ton Timber Wolf that is only tipping the scales at 74 tons) then you will need to either upgrade or replace some weapons or components.

This can be done several ways, for most mechs (non-omni mechs) you can upgrade to an endo frame or ferro armor. Both will drop the weight of the mech (presuming the mech does not already have them as upgrades) at the cost of taking up more space (which are called "slots" in game). General rule of thumb is go for endo before ferro, as it drops considerably more weight for the space it takes up.

Upgrading to double heat sinks is always a good idea, as you often get similar if not superior cooling for less weight than single heat sinks.

Upgrading to an XL motor may be a viable option (again, if your mech does not have one already). XL motors are much lighter than their standard counter-part, but come at the cost of taking up extra room in your side torsos, and making you easier to kill. For Inner Sphere, losing a single side torso will kill you when using XL. For clan mechs, you have to lose both side torsos on an XL before you die. A standard motor will only be knocked out when your center torso is shot out (this is also true for all XL motors).

Another option, though often risky if not done correctly, is to reduce your armor to free up weight. This is often only ideal on an arm (or arms) that carry no weapons or equipment. Shaving a bit of armor off your legs is also a common practice. However, the conventional wisdom is to run as much armor as possible.

Beyond that, you are stuck with having to replace an existing weapon, component or potentially ammo from a different weapon system.

Good luck.

p.s.
(check out YouTube for vids on mechbay mechanics, probably easier to watch than read about)

Appreciate the reply and yes I own the mech. I'll go ahead and look around youtube see what I can find. But your help will be put to use, thanks.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

While this video doesn't specifically load ammunition and the interface has changed, the steps are effectively the same.
Remove something with weight.
Add ammo with weight.

Edited by Koniving, 28 September 2016 - 08:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users