16 replies to this topic

#1 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:55 AM

been using GIMP to create 2d images, now thought i would try my hand at 3d. any one here use Blender? is it good? is it worth the download?

thanx

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:29 AM

Yes.

#3 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:41 AM

oh wow dude!! that is an awesome link!!! +100

#4 Product9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts
  • LocationDenial

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

Blender has a steep learning curve, but stick with it and you will be well rewarded.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostProduct9, on 30 September 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

Blender has a steep learning curve, but stick with it and you will be well rewarded.

I feel like all of the 3D modeling programs have a steep learning curve, and I've used most of them (3dsMax, gMax, Maya, XSI, Blender),

#6 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

have not even got to blender yet. trying to remember my DOS days like 20yrs ago, so having a terrible time navigating in powershell. having to sit and watch YT vids to remind me of the commands to use in PS. i feel like i am back in school, Posted Image

#7 Product9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts
  • LocationDenial

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 September 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

I feel like all of the 3D modeling programs have a steep learning curve, and I've used most of them (3dsMax, gMax, Maya, XSI, Blender),

That's a good collection, but there are a lot of 3d modelling programs out there.

Blender doesn't try to emulate the look and feel of any particular OS (and doesn't use OS native controls or menus - the whole interface is done in OpenGL for cross platform compatibility), which makes it less intuitive to a new user. Thankfully, there are a ton of resources out there because of Blender's popularity. I strongly suggest anyone getting started in Blender watch some intro videos.

Edited by Product9, 01 October 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#8 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:18 AM

it is a bummer, tarogato posted a great link to another thread. unfortunately, a lot of the information and the videos are out dated. i posted a couple of replies asking for up to date videos and what programs to use. we will see if anyone responds.

#9 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:00 AM

Blender's pretty nice, I can't texture to save my life, but I like modeling.

I put together this gauss rifle model after about an hour or two. Poly count's a bit low because I was planning to use it in a mod for a game.

Spoiler

#10 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 01 October 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

Blender's pretty nice, I can't texture to save my life, but I like modeling.

I put together this gauss rifle model after about an hour or two. Poly count's a bit low because I was planning to use it in a mod for a game.

Spoiler

that is funny, i am the complete opposite, suck at designing, but love to texture. i get it from my model airbrushing that i do on the side. recently been getting into this digital art. here are some examples of models i have painted, which has translated great into texturing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#12 F22 RaptoR

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

Blender is a great program, I've been using it for well over a decade.

It's very powerful, but it does have a fairly steep learning curve. The one thing I've noticed with Blender versus other 3D animation and modeling programs, is that you can be extremely quick with it. Doing little things seems to take less time in it than others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

I've been teaching myself blender for awhile now, and you can find plenty of tutorials on youtube. Here is the one I've been watching:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cgboorman

#14 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:16 AM

well, got all the .cga converted to.cgf with powershell. then got noesis to convert .cgf to .obj and .dds to .png. opened up blender for only the 2nd time. now a tutorial says to use blender and open a file called, ie com_scale.obj, but there is no such file. on a lark, i looked under the awesome folder, and found awesome_scale.obj opened it and got what is explained in the tutorial, only he uses the commando. not sure what is going on. do i have to add all he parts individually if there is no scale.obj file?

so all i tried to do with the awesome was just move it around, and got some rotations, but seem to have trouble with this big, grey square that kept blocking the mech itself. so i guess today i am going to start watching blender tutorials.

now what vanguard319 has done there with the sig., is that something i can eventually do with blender?

#15 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:06 AM

question on blender. in the tutorial i am watching, he removes the timeline. does not explain how, just does it. tried some searches, but no help. all i have done is create a BOATLOAD of new windows, which i could not get rid of. tried clicking on default window mode, and i got stuck in some huge timeline window. had to close program and start over. all the toolbars had disappeared, it was just a huge timeline window.

all i am trying to do is get rid of the red shaded area in the image.

Posted Image

#16 F22 RaptoR

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

There is a little drop down menu on the VERY bottom left corner, you can change the bottom window to anything you like (buttons, UV editor, etc...) OR you can hit CTRL DOWN arrow which will maximize the 3D screen.

Or you can also drag the line under the 3D window (and the buttons: View Select Add Object) down to hide it, but this is more of an odd way to do it, as you'll totally lose the functionality of that window (as CTRL-Down lets you quickly hide and unhide it)

#17 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Its video editor seems to have much better out-of-the-box file format and codec compatibility than sony vegas and other video editing software.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users