Warhammer Or Marauder?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

Want to buy a pack to get the IS Cataphract reward.

I tend to like high mounts and jump jets. Lasers get boring so I'd like to explore dakka. I've heard the Warhammers are a great mech and the widow maker is the best dakka mech, so leaning towards them.

Marauders have jump jets though, so not sure. Some people seem to like it better than the Warhammer.

My hunchback IICs eventually grew on me. The Griffin 1S(C) is my least favorite mech and just need 800 xp to basic it and never play it again.

Haven't found a groove yet with my Timberwolves. I get focused so much by LRMs I think I need a radar dep module as mandatory equipment.

No dinero for top IS reward, so not trying for it.

#2 AchingNoodle

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either pack. I've really enjoyed my Marauder's. My highest scoring game so far was in my MAD-3RS. Marauder is quite tanky for it's speed and allows for some pretty versatile builds. Mount points are not high enough for some folks though. I plan to get the Warhammer pack next time I need premium time.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

WHM is the best IS heavy currently.

#4 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

Warhammer all the way. Posted Image

#5 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:01 AM

Of the two I like my Marauder's the most (but that could be because of my childhood)

When you can definatly get the other as they are both good

But I say Marauder

#6 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

You're describing a win/win decision.

As an extremely outside bit of analysis, there is no plan as of now for a clan version of the Warhammer, but there will soon be a Marauder IIc if you wanna play both sides of the field.

Or really, I'm just Marauder biased. I seem to live longer in one, but I only just bought the two WHM variants I need to go with me BW.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostKeltan, on 30 September 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

Want to buy a pack to get the IS Cataphract reward.

I tend to like high mounts and jump jets. Lasers get boring so I'd like to explore dakka. I've heard the Warhammers are a great mech and the widow maker is the best dakka mech, so leaning towards them.

Marauders have jump jets though, so not sure. Some people seem to like it better than the Warhammer.

If jump jets are a necessity then the only option between the two is the Marauder. Marauder's selection of high mounts is limited to the torso ballistics (I have no clue how the variant with missiles performs). The arm energy mounts are really low. The torso mounts on the Hammer are not super high, but they are better, diverse (energy and/or ballistics and/or srms) and more plentiful than the Mad. Frankly, as much as I love jj mechs, higher more diverse hard points are of more value. So in my view Hammer wins imho.

#8 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

I own them all.
Hands down I go MADs all the way, but I will caveat that by disclosing my play style is much stronger in the 'chicken walker' shaped mechs.... I just blow driving humanoid mechs.

My advice and considerations:
  • If JJ's are critical, as Bud stated you're all set. Congrats! you're buying Marauders! Posted Image
    • Important note.. not all MAD's have JJ's....
  • The Marauder
    • is going to be tanky as all hell, and she rolls/spreads damage like a champ
      with nose wiggling back and forth.
    • however does not twist & shield well due to the broad side torsos and very low slung arms
    • is just a freaking awesome looking ride
    • can hill hump reasonably well with the RT mounted weapon (mostly ballistics, one missile, one energy variant on that hard point)
    • Not super XL friendly, but a few of us nutty pilots have been known to run one... a marauder hopped up on max engine speed is a joy to drive, and nimble enough to maintain pretty good survivability
    • did I mention how cool they look....
  • The Warhammer
    • With the larger arms, and thinner profile you can torso twist and arm shield far better than the MAD which is a plus.
    • Personally, when I have run them to mastery, I found they were a pretty XL friendly chassis provided you twist and spread damage well.
    • Dakka. Lots of dakka.
    • has some reasonably high mounts for that dakka
    • variety of weapon loadout options,more than the MAD
    • No JJ's. But honestly, if you're running an XL you're going to be pretty nimble and quick enough to get by without them.
    • Dakka, yeah, there's that.
SO. Given those points, I'd say it comes down to your playstyle (do you 'doggie waggle' to spread damage better as in a Crab or other chicken walker versus do better using a shield arm/torso twisting)? How bad do you want JJ's. How much dakka do you want?

(personally, I'd go Maddy and join all the cool kids... Posted ImagePosted Image but no way you can go wrong with either)

Edited by Morggo, 30 September 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#9 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 September 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

.... Marauder's selection of high mounts is limited to the torso ballistics (I have no clue how the variant with missiles performs)....

I have found that 2xASRM6 can be a lot of fun, runs very similar to my AC20 brutes, just without the pinpoint damage. Plus it's a lot of fun having your heavy weapon on the LT instead of traditional RT.. trips people at first. The other thing... you don't see 'em much so I like to imagine the look on the red pilot's face, like ... "what the bloody hell! Marauders don't have missiles!..."
Posted Image

Edited by Morggo, 30 September 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

Maddy is good, but Whammy wins hands down.

So much more build variety. Plus Whammy takes to XLs very well, the Mad not so much.

Hardpoint count and location is superior across the board for the whammy. The only thing you completely miss out on is jump jets, which really isnt a big deal.

#11 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:30 AM

I've not tried a Warhammer so this will be biased but i can vouch for the Marauder. Its surprisingly tanky with a STD engine and with an XL (not advised) it can carry a decent firepower to rival an assualt.

I have spectated Warhammers doing very well though. Just my 2pc

Edited by mad kat, 01 October 2016 - 04:35 AM.

#12 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

Just to balance the votes even further, and as much as I honestly love both chassis at the moment, I'd say what you describe would suit the Marauder more. Particularly the high ballistic mounts - the Warhammer's cannon nipples are quite high too, but the Marauder's are still higher. Also, the mech is 5t heavier, which gives you more flexibility since you can potentially put more/bigger guns on it

#13 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:58 AM

marauders are survivors.
warhammers are dealers.
marauders use heavier arm weaponry - on multiple variants with lower actuaros (sadly, the most important one, the BH, doesnt have those).
warhammers are more torso weapon centered while also offering either 2 or 4 arm hardpoints, all with lower actuators.
marauders are more mobile.
warhammers are more agile.
marauders can be built one side heavy.
warhammers bring overall higher mounts.

that should be the main differences.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

I like both.

#15 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

View PostTercieI, on 30 September 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

WHM is the best IS heavy currently.

Unfortunately (because I love Marauder), I have to agree with this.
WHM it's also better for CW dropdeck due to tonnage limitation. :/

#16 RCore

• PipPipPip
  • The Deputy
  • The Deputy
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

Both are great. My WHMs are used in my Faction Warfare drop decks. If you want to use them in FW, the WHMs are 5 tons lighter for more mech choices. My WHMs also are a little faster than my MADs. Also, all 3 WHM variants have pretty good builds: LPLs, LLs, and PPCs + UACs.

MADs are very tanky so they tend to survive longer. If you like LRMs, the missile MAD is pretty good at hybrid LRM + Lasers. My other favourite MAD build is the one with PPCs + UAC5s. My 3rd MAD has UACs + Lasers and doesn't get used as much.

Edited by RCore, 01 October 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#17 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 01 October 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

Maddy is good, but Whammy wins hands down.

So much more build variety. Plus Whammy takes to XLs very well, the Mad not so much.

Hardpoint count and location is superior across the board for the whammy. The only thing you completely miss out on is jump jets, which really isnt a big deal.

Couldn't figure out how to "build" warhammers so i went for Marauders instead. Maybe i'll try them sometime later, i always preferred warhammers in classic btech.

The Marauders seem to not lose much rear armour.

#18 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

I have both. I love my MAD-3R, but I do better in the WHM-6R. More damage, higher kill ratio, higher win ratio.

#19 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

My IS heavy side is only Thunderbolts and I have no IS assaults.

I can get the special Stalker with a buy also. And I was also looking at this two (chances are I'd go Warhammer).

But I have one more option. And that would be the Cyclops. The versions I really want is the ECM "reinforcement" and the Hero which looks like it can almost rival The KDK-3 Dakka Bear.

I'd get one of them now (I'm leaning towards the Cyclops) and when I get the one Stalker, I'd add it's Mastery Bundle. But that will give me two assaults.

#20 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the info! It's very close but pretty sure I'll stick with the Warhammer and pick up the Marauders later.

Just to double check, I can go back and add the Hero mech from a pack at any time after I purchase, correct?

Edited by Keltan, 01 October 2016 - 04:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users