69 replies to this topic

#1 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:17 AM

LRMs are an entire weapon set in this game and I think the current dumb-fire is needlessly next to worthless.This is a simple way to make them fun.

They should just be able to be fired at robots in more ways is all I am saying. A fallback option of sorts and with a good deal of damage spread compared to what is possible with SRMs.

Posted Image

Edited by Kin3ticX, 01 October 2016 - 12:26 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:37 AM

i always thought something like this would be good. but id actually have 3 distinct modes:

locked indirect - high arc, low velocity
locked line of sight - direct, high velocity
dumb - low arc, medium velocity

Edited by LordNothing, 01 October 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#3 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

LRMs need teamplayers to be usefull, there are enough soloyolo weapons in this game. No thanks. LRMs should not rend SRMs useless.

#4 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

View PostKotzi, on 01 October 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

LRMs need teamplayers to be usefull, there are enough soloyolo weapons in this game. No thanks. LRMs should not rend SRMs useless.

Sorry but I dont see people running around in stock Raven-3Ls to give me locks. Can you be more specific as I am trying to learn how to LRM proper

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

I like it. IMO, all LRMs should have base speed of 180m/s and increased to 250m/s when dumb fired. Failing that, just give LRMs flat trajectory alone on dumbfire mode.

Assuming PGI is actually able to code them in, of which I am doubtful.

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:44 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 October 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

I like it. IMO, all LRMs should have base speed of 180m/s and increased to 250m/s when dumb fired. Failing that, just give LRMs flat trajectory alone on dumbfire mode.

Assuming PGI is actually able to code them in, of which I am doubtful.

Yes

I'd just like to emphasize, its not meant to become MRMs or replace SRMs, its meant to be a more meaningful fallback form of dumbfire.

#7 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:45 AM

LRMs can be good if you fight on the front lines and picking out targets yourself instead of relying on locks from everyone else. In a front line flanking/fire line group, you have less chances of someone targeting you when others are laying down laser fire, allowing you to soften the targets armor. 200/300 is the solid hit range from behind decent cover when you have advance target hold module.

#8 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:48 AM

Isn't that literally what an MRM-20 is?

#9 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:53 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 01 October 2016 - 01:48 AM, said:

Isn't that literally what an MRM-20 is?

Well obviously an MRM-20 would do a better job then an LRM-20 in the proposed alt fire mode.

So, NOT literally

Besides, MRMs have never been mentioned by PGI and they even said new weapons are not coming anytime soon

Edited by Kin3ticX, 01 October 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

I think missiles have ballistic trajectory because they have rather low amount of propellant, compared to missiles we have.

So the trajectory would have to stay ballistic, even if they would burn it faster. Plus then they should spread more as how would they be able to keep up their flight with higher speed.

Sure it would be nice mechanic but I find normal dumbfire enough.

#11 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

I dumb fire them just fine with the way they work already.

Edited by Dee Eight, 01 October 2016 - 02:09 AM.

#12 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:36 AM

I would actually prefer the ability to "lob" my LRMs when "dumb-firing" them. Seeing as how they arc anyway, why not allow players to Skill Shot over terrain onto an undetected enemy. No guarantee they'll hit, as the missiles won't be locked, and it comes down to a players ability to gauge enemy distance, whether the flight path will clear the intervening obstacle, and predict an enemies movement.
But it would give skilled LRM users the ability to barrage a supposed enemy position. And muppets could still sit at the back of a group and blind fire on Locks, just as they are doing now. All it would take is to have a Range Finder either next to the Crosshair, or next to the Launcher, to show what distance the LRMs are firing out to when Dumb-Fired. Aim up, and the LRM Range increases. Aim down, and it decreases, to a maximum and minimum of 1000m and 180m, respectively.

It would firmly seat the LRMs as a Support Weapon, with Skilled Support Players being able to hit enemies no matter where they hide, and bad lurmers still being bad. But, just my opinion.

#13 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:06 AM

No, if you want direct fire missiles like that then we can have MRMs instead, which we should have available by now anyways.

Most of the weaknesses for LRMs are there for good reason, it's just that ECM, radar deprivation being too good, and unreasonably bad missile spread all make LRMs more unreliable than they should be.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

that wont work people will just cry more about LRMs

remember the old dumb fire for LRMs worked pretty good in CW (phase 1)

but they changed it and made your LRMs fly off into space

#15 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:32 AM

I love the idea. Now.. nag Russ on twitter about it. Much needed, much awesome!

#16 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:32 AM

My only problem with dumbrife is the auto target. I wish i can turn auto target off and land missiles where i want them to go. The way they are now you need to lock a target away from where you want to fire before firing. And if you lost that lock the auto target kicks in again and locks in the first available target.

That said, a firing mode with flat trajectory ( or a lower arc ) would be great so an lrm build is not useless while in a tunnel or firing at targets under bridges.

#17 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:07 AM

Again, made this suggestion a long time ago, result: crickets.

- LRM short-range penalty removed across the board

- When fired without locks, LRMs behave like SRMs

There is absolutely no reason for LRMs to have this penalty. It's completely unnecessary. LRMs are not bloody artillery. LRMs can be dumb-fired without locks with the same projectile behaviour as SRMs, essentially making them low-damage SRMs at this range.

#18 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 01 October 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Well obviously an MRM-20 would do a better job then an LRM-20 in the proposed alt fire mode.

So, NOT literally

Besides, MRMs have never been mentioned by PGI and they even said new weapons are not coming anytime soon

Yep might not ever even see them.

And even if they did bring them out at some point they could make them track reticle a bit like how MWLL did them to differentiate the weapon system so they don't neccessarily have to just be dumb firing lrms.

They would have to have crazy missile speed so as to make them even remotely able to hit anything at 500m with them which would basically relegate them to being SRM alternatives without the semi guided tracking. I think fast speed and dumb fire style would cause more issues than just making them semi guided and able to hit things farily reliably and save having to make them redonkadonk powerful to make up for them being useless past SRM range anway

Edited by Ghogiel, 01 October 2016 - 05:09 AM.

#19 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostYosharian, on 01 October 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

Again, made this suggestion a long time ago, result: crickets.

Because it's stupid to have a long range homing missile weapon that does full damage from 0-1,000m.

How about we increase LRM missile velocity to 2,000 m/s while we're at it?

#20 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

I'll start off by admitting that I do extended skype calls a couple of times a week where I can't really concentrate on the game, but I do just fine boating LRMs, and them being on a cbill grinder just makes them all the more useful. And, for the record, I try not to back row when doing this.

That said, the clear tactic against "dumbpiloting mode" is to rush the LRMboat. As such, a better LRMer packs secondary weaponry and is prepared to brawl if forced to do so. The worst LRMers are the ones who load their boats with nothing but missiles and live or die by the LRMs.

This change would only encourage this kind of play and, meaning no offense to the OP, it sounds like something that a live-or-die LRMer would propose so that they don't ever have to do anything but hit their LRM button.

My vote is no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users