Flamers: What Does The Yellow Bar Mean?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Slapfish

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:20 AM

When using flamers there is a yellow bar that fills and turns red after continuous use. What does it mean?

Edited by Slapfish, 01 October 2016 - 03:21 AM.

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:23 AM

Yellow bar means that the flamer is generating heat at a low rate. When it turns red, you start racking up heat to yourself like no tomorrow.

The bar decays after not using the flamers for at least 3 (4?) seconds.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:01 AM

It's higher than 3 and lower than 4 seconds that you must let it rest.

Lets put it this way... You could have 27 DHS with skill tree unlocks for 15% faster cooling and 20% more threshold and STILL overheat with a single flamer in less than 10-13 seconds.

You must torch and let off. Torch and let off.
And note that this 'timer' goes for all Flamers.. so alternating between one or two won't help you overcome it. I also believe it fills faster if you have more flamers (but the effect against the enemy is so much greater that it's worth it).

Edited by Koniving, 01 October 2016 - 05:03 AM.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

10 Flamers will heat up as fast as just firing 1 of your 10.

You have 6 seconds of Flame time before it hits red and starts to overheat you. Stay below that 6 seconds and you are ok.

I wanted to try the "get them hot" with 4 Flamers and then "keep them hot" idea by alternating Flamers 5 and 6 with SPLs. You can do it but you have to be very careful. You get 2 seconds of the four Flamers then another 4 or so with the other two. This is when you are wishing you had ballistics weapons.

I think the best bet is to hit the enemy with at least 4 Flamers for 2-3 seconds. If they try anything but running this will shut them down quickly. Then if they start to move again, hit them with 2-3 more seconds of Flamers.

The problem is killing them while they are down. For instance, the Stormcrow really needs torso ballistics slots. I've said before that a "Flamer" Mech needs a partner. One to help with the killing while I shut them down. I have been in times where I went after one enemy Mech and another showed up that I did not see to help him. I have found the best thing to do is to Flame both of them shutting them both down and then to run back to my teammates or hope that one shows up.

#5 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Yeah.... I miss the old flamers. Each flamer had it's own cooldown, rather'n a global flamer cooldown.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 01 October 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostLeone, on 01 October 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yeah.... I miss the old flamers. Each flamer had it's own cooldown, rather'n a global flamer cooldown.

~Leone.

Yes, thank you. And I've been looking for the reasons/excuses it is like it is today.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 October 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Yes, thank you. And I've been looking for the reasons/excuses it is like it is today.

Well at first they were generally useless beyond being used to blind an enemy at close range.
The flame animation used to be more like what you would expect from an actual flame thrower, as opposed to the blow torch look they have now. Rightfully so, the more flamers you carried the larger the fireball you could create.

Then earlier this year they completely re-vamped flamers. And in typical PGI fashion they screwed up royally at first. If you had a cluster of flame throwers and switched them to chain fire you yourself would not overheat from using em.
So for about 2 days, (believe it or not) we had "flamergeddon" and the flame thrower became the new meta.

And of course, lots of people complained about this to Russ over twitter, but Russ did not get it at all. He gave us a "working as intended" response.

Finally, somebody made a video of using chain fire flamers and sent it to Russ, so they finally fixed it.

And that kids, is the story of how I met your mother... err... of how flamers came to be the way they are now.

Edited by Boogie138, 01 October 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 01 October 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

Well at first they were generally useless beyond being used to blind an enemy at close range.
The flame animation used to be more like what you would expect from an actual flame thrower, as opposed to the blow torch look they have now. Rightfully so, the more flamers you carried the larger the fireball you could create.

Then earlier this year they completely re-vamped flamers. And in typical PGI fashion they screwed up royally at first. If you had a cluster of flame throwers and switched them to chain fire you yourself would not overheat from using em.
So for about 2 days, (believe it or not) we had "flamergeddon" and the flame thrower became the new meta.

And of course, lots of people complained about this to Russ over twitter, but Russ did not get it at all. He gave us a "working as intended" response.

Finally, somebody made a video of using chain fire flamers and sent it to Russ, so they finally fixed it.

And that kids, is the story of how I met your mother... err... of how flamers came to be the way they are now.

Do you have to shoot them at their torso for them to work or does it matter?

So this change to how Flamers work is recent.

I was expecting some Lore stuff about how the Flamers are driven using heat from the engines etc.

#9 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 October 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Do you have to shoot them at their torso for them to work or does it matter?

So this change to how Flamers work is recent.

I was expecting some Lore stuff about how the Flamers are driven using heat from the engines etc.

Nope, aim them anywhere.

In lore- the fact that flamers COULD be used to overheat an enemymech was a little down the list of primary purposes.
They were mainly for anti-infantry work.

Also in TT they generate more heat for the user than your target.

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:53 AM

I remember Flamers being mostly talked about as Infantry weapons AGAINST Mechs. One shot Flamers.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 01 October 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Nope, aim them anywhere.

The reason I asked is they do some damage and if I'm in a "Flamer Situation", I like to try to go for head shots.

#12 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 October 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

10 Flamers will heat up as fast as just firing 1 of your 10.

Correct only when you refer to that bar.
But the number of flamers will increase the heat generated. Continuing to use flamer will make it's heat generated to your mech accelerate exponentially. Using 1 will take a lot longer time, than using several (like 4).

Once you get too far in the accelerated heat generation, in practice you can't continue to use it at all if you have any heat generating weapons. In that phase it's very visible how fast it generates heat. In practice thnough either you or the enemy is dead.

[color=#959595]"So this change to how Flamers work is recent."[/color]

No they have worked like since 2014. It seems some numbers have adjusted in some patches this year but the exponential heat generation has been in effect for years. Before that flamers aparently were good, after that most people have not wanted to use them at all.

Right now flamers make 0.1 damage per second. In February it was whopping 0.7. So, the damage effect is not worth talking about, has never been.

Edited by Teer5, 02 October 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Yea, I'm all about the bar now, lol.

If that yellow bar is at 80%, I find that trying to fire even one Flamer with some SPLs starts to heat me up real fast.

Ha, I just remembered I loaded a Coolshot (I have 86 of the 6's so) and I forgot to use it.

Odd and weird true story about Flamers. Last night we had a domination in the HPG Manifold. We were doing the take the basement thing. And I had a Hellbringer with an LBX 20 and two SRM 4's and 6 Flamers. I had him set up for short range brawling so the basement was perfect. But to hold the basement you have to have patience. I tried to show and explain to everyone that you do not look outside a door, you stand beside them. If you can see more than 2 feet out, you are doing it wrong.

An enemy Mech comes in, I fire at him, he turns to face me and you, the guy on the other side, shoots him in the back. 12 Mechs for 4 doors and that means some rovers. I had seismic so I could semi tell where the enemy was. I'm going to watch the recording on it because I wonder now if my giving out seismic readings hurt us. It was easy to tell that 6-8 of them were around my door.

And two pug things...no wait, I've seen pugs do this well, so just these guys. First, some of them just had to poke out and shoot at something. I remember reading a tutorial on poking and one big thing it mentioned was what was the exchange rate and was it in your favor. In other words, were you doing 12 damage to him and only receiving 8 back? If you two were even matched then you should win this one.

But these were the lighter and smaller medium mechs who would run in front of a door and shoot at the 4 sitting outside. And get hammered. Because of lack of patience. The 2nd really stupid thing was done by the ones watching another door. I do not have a map but let's say that I was at the West door. I had a Direwolf on the other side of me and nothing alive was coming through that door. But more and more of us started looking at and out of that "WEST" door (like our guys getting shot). And, crazy enough, also it seemed like our teammates that were supposed to be watching the "North" door, also kept looking this way. Because 4 times enemy lights came in and the first we knew is we are being hit and then looking over and wondering, where are the two mechs that are supposed to be on each side of this door?

It really was nuts, we have 4 doors and it seemed like 8 of us (or more) were all watching one. I'm sure part of it is that is is simply hard to explain to people that you have to trust my seismic (my wonderful seismic) that to be on one side of a door means to be on it's side so you cannot see or face out, not to be IN the doorway. Or maybe, too much RedBull....

We go down one and we start to make plans. We go down TWO now and we are like damn, the basement is a two-way street. So I say with another guy, that our seismic shows almost all of the enemy outside the West door so let's go out together out the East door. At that point, I should have backed up and went towards the East door by the south side but instead, I had a "LUG Moment". Like others, there was a deep desire to fire a weapon I guess but I looked out the door and lost my LBX 20 and my SRMs. So I was like crap.......Then after we left the East door an enemy Mech came between me and a teammate and I shut him down and he killed him. We talked and worked together killing 3 more but still lost, lol.

P.S. He thanked me for the 4 kills and 700 plus damage after the match, lol. I think i had 46....

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 03 October 2016 - 04:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users