71 replies to this topic

#1 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:53 AM

Now I know this has been gone over time and time again, but with the addition of the New Hero, I took a look at the Summoner(Thor) prime.

I looked at how I'd turned all mine into the only build I thought was vaguely useful, 2 ERLL and 6srmx3 and felt a little annoyed as the things mocked me in their bays, and thought as I don't use them much ( read at all ) I'd put them into their stock config. I started and stopped at the Prime.

Those of you that are fans of it, will know this config, lbx10 , lrm15, ERPPC, I'm not one, but as its the red headed step child of the clan heavies, I felt sorry for it, and so thought I'd smarten them up.

Now for any mech game but MWO this is an uninspiring load out, for this version of the franchise it's terrible, its not just the weapons either, as a good pilot can still get some good scores with it, even though with a meta build its alot easier and will do better if only.

The LBX10 and the LRM15 could carry more than one ton or ammo for each weapon, I have to admit when I started moving pods back I thought ammo starved but come ON! seriously, just one ton ...

That's right one ton, and that's not with a full armour load out either..and one ton of that is for a lrm15..even if you drop to a lrm 10 you get a whole extra ton of ammo..whoopie!

This thing needs some serious help, it really does need help badly, and the only way to make it useful is to do what others have said for years, unlock the JJ's or change the Ferro to Endo for some extra weight to play with.

Canon, lore pha ! there are lots of mechs that sit out side it, and each time people mod a mech outside its lore config then that is lore ignored. so why not the Summoner.

If you doubled its quirks it would remain useless.

I'm no clan fan though I own most of the mechs, but for the love of what's holy, find a way to give it more weight to play with when building..

#2 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

The MWO Summoner is the best dual ER-PPC mech. So there's that.

You can either add NARC and/or AMS to assist the team or just load up on more heat sinks. Those two structure buffed torsos are not as worthless as they look.

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:47 AM

My unit leader has been bringing the Summoner to brawls for quite a while now. It wasn't until recently that really anybody else in the unit tried it, and once they found it what it was couple of it's been spreading like wildfire and we've been smashing the group queue with it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a4b03cf1e1a34e

Dual peeps also very viable: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d1d8651fcd94cb9

If you running some weak bracket builds like 2x ERLL + SRMs, or the stock effing builds, of course you're going to have a bad time. Build mechs to their strengths. The Summoner's strength is mobility. Leverage it.

#4 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostTarogato, on 02 October 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

Guess why I'm freaking happy about my 2 Summoner incoming in 2 weeks Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 02 October 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Guess why I'm freaking happy about my 2 Summoner incoming in 2 weeks Posted Image Posted Image

Oh yeah, Stefka can bear witness to some of our Summoner shenanigans. Posted Image

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:21 AM

Whenever I see a Summoner on our team at the match start screen, I know the guy will pull amazing numbers. Cause only good players stick with the Summoner after few games.

Unless there is a Heavy mech sale going on...

#7 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:33 AM

Even though i'm an IS-purist, i wouldn't mind letting Omnimechs change ferro/endo.
It's not really going to make the best clan mechs any better (because the best ones either already have the optimal choice or are Battlemechs and can do whatever the **** they want, because PGI lol), but it will make the underperformers less... underperforming.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 02 October 2016 - 03:34 AM.

#8 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

Here are my current builds:

SMN-B: SRM-boating with LB5X in right torso. I use 5xSRM6, though I guess 5xSRM4+Artemis might be better, I dunno. I'm having a lot of success with this though.

SMN-D: 2 cERPPC in the right arm, 2 cERML in the left arm, and a missile launcher of your choice. I see a lot of double PPC Summoners these days, but... that's not a whole lot of firepower in a brawl. You're doing a maximum of 20 dmg to the CT every time, which puts you on level with a Yen Lo Wang, except with significantly higher cooldown.

Speaking of LB5X and double PPCs, that's actually my new favorite build for the Hellbringer too. 2 PPCs in one arm, LB5X in the other. I know LBX weapons are frowned upon due to lack of pinpoint damage, but their high rate of fire and low heat makes them a great support weapon together with SRMs or PPCs, in my opinion.

I actually have 2cERPPC builds for a Hellbringer, a Summoner and a Timber Wolf, right now. They all have additional weapons for brawling.

#9 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

using 2 dual energy arms means your missing significant ppc quirks. and why the hell would you go to a brawl in a 90+kph mech that has dual erppcs and jumpjets, as well as MAJOR accel/deccel quirks.
the only times i go stomp on enemy mechs toes is when im tanking for a beaten up teammate so they can make use of my armor.

#10 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:24 AM

Once upon a time:

Posted Image

#11 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

Trust me, I'm a crazy person that almost solely runs lore builds. The Summoner is one of my favorite BT mechs. With all that in mind, the only builds you can really run with it lore-wise without being a detriment to your team is the C and D. Outside of those, you have to be REAAAAALLY good to run well with them consistently. I'm not really good.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:33 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 October 2016 - 03:21 AM, said:

Whenever I see a Summoner on our team at the match start screen, I know the guy will pull amazing numbers. Cause only good players stick with the Summoner after few games.

AS PPCs have gotten more popular this has been less true. Tip that's only useful for about three more weeks: If you see a dual PPC, knock off the LA.

That's the biggest weakness off the smash build too: Most of the weapons are in the large vulnerable arms. In a duel or a brawl vs knowledgable players this makes it vulnerable to stripping. It can't shield its weapons. (I still dig it, first mech I ran in comp with CK).

#13 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostTarogato, on 02 October 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

Oh yeah, Stefka can bear witness to some of our Summoner shenanigans. Posted Image

Yea, and in 2 weeks those 2 peeps, no more in arms.
It will be a huge upgrade to my SummyTarter. Posted Image

El.....expect those numbers increasing.
Posted Image those juicy E hardpoints in torsi Posted Image

I guess Summy will become more popular thanks to new variants....

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 02 October 2016 - 04:37 AM.

#14 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:54 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 02 October 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

Once upon a time:

I got excited for a moment there.

Then I remembered PGI seems to have misplaced the darts for their dartboard.

#15 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

Its annoying that all it really depends on are the weapons (and JJ) Besides that, even in MWO the Summoner is pretty good at surviving imo, decent hitboxes and good speed. As Sarna says

The Summoner is a highly mobile heavy OmniMech that is commonly used by Clan Jade Falcon in a wide variety of roles. Barely a second generation OmniMech, the Jade Falcons introduced the Summoner just after becoming the first Clan to win OmniMech technology from Clan Coyote in 2863. The Summoner earned the Inner Sphere code name Thor for its powerful, yet simple arsenal. The Summoner's balanced mix of speed, mobility, armor, and firepower make it a highly effective and reliable OmniMech.[3][5][6]

So the solution is to make the LBX weapons on clanside even better or well, introduce ammo switching. And not to forget improve both IS anc Clan LRM weapons with lesser spread, higher velocity, more dmg etc. And improve those hover jets...

I do have a question.

I cant find any direct info to if and why Clan omni mechs have locked hardpoints, jump jets, heatsinks. Is it a lore rule regarding construction or something with the balance of MWO, or a mix?

Edited by Tordin, 02 October 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostTarogato, on 02 October 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

My unit leader has been bringing the Summoner to brawls for quite a while now. It wasn't until recently that really anybody else in the unit tried it, and once they found it what it was couple of it's been spreading like wildfire and we've been smashing the group queue with it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a4b03cf1e1a34e

If you running some weak bracket builds like 2x ERLL + SRMs, or the stock effing builds, of course you're going to have a bad time. Build mechs to their strengths. The Summoner's strength is mobility. Leverage it.

Issue with the SRM build though is that the 4/5ths of the firepower is in the arms on a brawling mech. Its mobile, but its a large short range brawler with bad shielding ability and an easy to pick out CT or a giant ST pod if they wanted to take out 3/5ths of your firepower in one go rather than kill you outright.

Besides that, the same build can be run on the Stormcrow, a faster mech with the majority of the firepower in the torsos, only loss is some armor and jump jets.

#17 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:57 AM

True that. It's like the Mist Lynx or old school Jenner F.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostCathy, on 02 October 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Now I know this has been gone over time and time again, but with the addition of the New Hero, I took a look at the Summoner(Thor) prime.

I looked at how I'd turned all mine into the only build I thought was vaguely useful, 2 ERLL and 6srmx3 and felt a little annoyed as the things mocked me in their bays, and thought as I don't use them much ( read at all ) I'd put them into their stock config. I started and stopped at the Prime.

Those of you that are fans of it, will know this config, lbx10 , lrm15, ERPPC, I'm not one, but as its the red headed step child of the clan heavies, I felt sorry for it, and so thought I'd smarten them up.

Now for any mech game but MWO this is an uninspiring load out, for this version of the franchise it's terrible, its not just the weapons either, as a good pilot can still get some good scores with it, even though with a meta build its alot easier and will do better if only.

The LBX10 and the LRM15 could carry more than one ton or ammo for each weapon, I have to admit when I started moving pods back I thought ammo starved but come ON! seriously, just one ton ...

That's right one ton, and that's not with a full armour load out either..and one ton of that is for a lrm15..even if you drop to a lrm 10 you get a whole extra ton of ammo..whoopie!

This thing needs some serious help, it really does need help badly, and the only way to make it useful is to do what others have said for years, unlock the JJ's or change the Ferro to Endo for some extra weight to play with.

Canon, lore pha ! there are lots of mechs that sit out side it, and each time people mod a mech outside its lore config then that is lore ignored. so why not the Summoner.

If you doubled its quirks it would remain useless.

I'm no clan fan though I own most of the mechs, but for the love of what's holy, find a way to give it more weight to play with when building..

2 tons of LRM15 ammo, stock, actually.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=187&l=stock

Which makes less sense in TT.... since the point of the LB-X is switchable ammo,which by TT rules has to be used in full 1 ton allotments.....
Plus just about every other mech of the initial 16 only packed a single ton for the LRM launcher, but the SMN-Prime packs 2?

BTW... welcome to hipster land, I've been running mine stock since the Invasion. It's actually surprisingly durable with stock armor, if you like to twist and shout. But once you run out of ammo, things do start to feel a little desperate.

Imagine what some Endosteel could do for our girl? (Oh look, I lust fouund 3.5 tons.... lets add a ton and a half of LB-X ammo, and 2 tons of armor........)

Also, you think it's tough sledding now? Should have been running it stock when that AC10 actually only packed 10 shots. Yeesh.

#19 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:46 AM

I've always preferred running it as a large, jump jetting Hunchback. 1*CUAC20, 4*ERML. Works a treat.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

I've gotten good results from ERPPC, UAC10, and SSRM4 with CAP. Seen plenty get good results from 5xASRM6. I've had good experiences with 5xSRM4 with a UAC10. The twin ERPPC builds can put out monstrous numbers if you use them right.

Don't play the Summoner like a typical heavy, play it like a tanky medium.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users