My Baby Done Died On Me. I Need Suggestions For A New Computer Now.

25 replies to this topic

#1 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Ok guys, heres the situation.

2 years ago i bought an asus laptop that i thought would flawlessly run any game, forever, no consequences, and for the low price of ~1k dollars. This, i learned today, was a fairytale id been telling myself. The computer clicked its last click immediatly after the pts client finished downloading, so sad :,(

A moment of silence for my fallen companion.

Ok moving on. I forsaw this a short while ago, so i have been saving. I have 2-3 grand (7.5 grand but id rather not blow that all at once if i can avoid it) that i am willing to drop on a new rig.

Problem, i dont know jack all about hardware.

So, my question is, what should i buy?

My ideal computer is a laptop that can run mwo perfectly at the highest setting, and still have enough juice left that i could have wow and maplestory open in the background simultaneously (not that i will, but i want that much wiggle room so that i wont have to worry about the computers survival in a normal game like my last one.

Auxillary features arent as inportant to me, but let me tell you about the environment this laptop will have to survive, my garage. Im in S. California so it gets upwards of 110-130 degrees farenheit in my garage. Also, i smoke, a lot, while piloting my mech. I cant imagine the ash and smoke are great for my computers interior. It will also need to be sturdy, because it will be traveling with me to and from school in my backpack.

I am vaguely open to suggestions for desktops, however i hate the fact that it doesnt travel, so if you insist that desktops are the only things that can perform at the capacity i want, and in the garage environment i described, then please suggest litterally THE most bad*** desktop that you can think of, because otherwise, i probably wont even consider it.

If accessories are required i will gladly get them if its in budget.

Now i know what yall are are thinking, "wow naterist, your asking a lot." Yes, i am, and im sorry about that.. I was hoping to be able to do the research myself, however, im not to bright computerwise, and my current class on computer software isnt helping much either because its a 101 class, and my teacher doesnt keep up with new hardware. Hes still stuck in the 90's when computers were the size of a little girls doll house. And last request, id like to buy the computer, ready to be turned on and played on. I dont understand computer upgrades and i dont trust myself enough to try with upwards of 2000 dollars worth of equipment.

Thank you, please help me :')

Edit: shoutout to the mwo technical rep who originally forsaw problems with my laptop, i actually thought i was hunky dory and the servers were glitching out until he walked me through everything and explained it. I forsaw nothing, he knew everything.

Edited by naterist, 06 October 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#2 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

The word now in that topic name makes it sound so demanding, i didnt read it that way when wrote it. Thats more totally a request, not an instant demand. Sorry.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

ugggh, wrote a long response and lost it.

Sum is this

Desktop > laptop
Build > buy

Laptop only wins for portability that is it.

price for performance, reliability, options etc etc desktop wins.

Plenty of resources to help you build.

logical increments.com
pcppartpicker.com

Also, do not blow smoke into your computer, or any electronics.

#4 Doughbag

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Things that run mwo propped within your budget are:
Intel I7
Nvidia GeForce gtx1070 or gtx 1080
16 gb ram
If desktop:
a decent 850-1000watt power supply, don't skimp on that
Extra fans
alternatively water cooling for cpu
If laptop:
Cooling pad

Optional stuff:
Ssd - makes rebooting and loading faster

Desktop is more powerfull at lower prices....never mind it being more robust.
Laptop has the only advantage of being portable....... downsides of laptops are being more expensive, slower and less durable.

If you don't want to build one yourself, go to your local computer store fixer guy, he'll gladly take your money to build one of these monsters for you.

#5 Dariq Sayid

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

1500$ will get you an excellent desktop for playing games etc. In your case don't skimp on the cooling/fans/filters of the case. Yes you could easily spend more, especially depending on GPU and Monitor, but there is no real need to.

Take the other 500-1000 get a decent "work" laptop.

If you really want a bad *** lappie though, look into the Sager ones that come with desktop grade CPUs and GPUs.

It's a much better expenditure of your money to get both a desktop and the laptop, and eliminates the "single point of failure" aspect of having one computer do everything.

Edited by Dariq Sayid, 06 October 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#6 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostDariq Sayid, on 06 October 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

It's a much better expenditure of your money to get both a desktop and the laptop, and eliminates the "single point of failure" aspect of having one computer do everything.

This. Unless you plan on playing mwo outside of your garage. The laptop may not be as powerful but it will prolly be hella lighter!

Edited by MovinTarget, 06 October 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#7 V A N T H

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 5
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

you don't need to know much about hardware
building is easy, you just need good guidance
boogie mentioned https://pcpartpicker.com/ and he's right it will not steer you wrong

#8 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 562 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostDoughbag, on 06 October 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

a decent 850-1000watt power supply, don't skimp on that

A decent PSU, ok. But why this wattage? You planning some dual / tripple GPU build? For MW:O? Come on.

nota bene: the more watts a PSU consumes, the more heat it generates, most times becoming energy inefficient. Meaning: first you pay more for a big PSU, then you pay more for feeding it. A PSU needs to be efficient and match your requirements, not oversized.

My PC:

MB: Gigabyte H77-D3H
CPU: i5 3450 @ stock (3.1GHz) w/ Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 (Rev.2)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
SSD: mSATA Crucial MX200 (250GB)
HDD: 2 x 3,5" (500 + 1000 GB)
PSU: bequiet 430W (Pure Power L7)

Edited by latinisator, 06 October 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

This might be a good place to start.

http://www.xoticpc.c...customization=1

Add the overclockable CPU, copper cooling option, and a good notebook cooler for maximum enjoyment.

As a side note: you're not running at the highest settings and getting 60+fps. The CPU-bound nature of MWO is ridiculous so I highly recommend keeping particles, shadows, and environment at lower settings than "very high" (maybe medium particles, high shadows, high environment? you'll need to fiddle to your own liking).

#10 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

View Postlatinisator, on 06 October 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

A decent PSU, ok. But why this wattage? You planning some dual / tripple GPU build? For MW:O? Come on.

nota bene: the more watts a PSU consumes, the more heat it generates, most times becoming energy inefficient. Meaning: first you pay more for a big PSU, then you pay more for feeding it. A PSU needs to be efficient and match your requirements, not oversized.

This is such a strange misconception to me. A power supply with watts to spare does not generate more heat nor does it cost more to operate than a standard power supply. Infact when one looks at power supply energy ratings like "gold" or "Platinum" those are ratings at full load. Meaning: They are even more energy efficient at reduced loads.

The only downside to larger than spec power supplies is initial cost and physical space. If one has the cash extra head room is always nice. Though, with the focus being on energy consumption these days this is becoming less important.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Small? Portable? Powerful?

Here you go.

Posted Image

<Disclaimer: I make no claims to the actual quality of this product.>

#12 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:49 AM

Ok, im feeling somewhat good about the fang battlebox suggested above. Is there a concensus that this is a good product or am i not thinking straight? Because it looks like it has everything described by the desktop supporters, and mobility.

#13 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:16 AM

If you're willing to lug that thing around, be my guest. When people say portable, though, typically they're looking for something a lot lighter. When traveling for work, I got tired of taking my work machine and my personal machine with me, which combined still weigh less than that BattleBox. It honestly seems niche and excessive, especially when you can get something 95% as fast in notebook form that weighs 50% as much (or maybe even less than that). Even with a big notebook cooler like one of the nice Cooler Master ones, you're still looking at the BattleBox taking more space and weighing more. The BattleBox is nice for its niche, but it's not something I personally would take with me on business trips.

Edited by xWiredx, 07 October 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#14 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:30 AM

basically you want a DDR4 ,PCIE3 motherboard and the latest intel cpu,(AMD AM4 boards and cpus dont come out till Feb. iirc)
both intel and amd have new video cards out with newer chips (AMD has an 8g vid card for under $300)

#15 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

For a Laptop, How big of a Screen do you Want?
Here's a Sager 17.3" for $2779: http://www.xoticpc.c...vo-p870dm3.html

To Get a Similar Desktop Build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Reeven Brontes RC-1001b 30.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($644.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.70 @ My Choice Software)
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1940.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-07 13:35 EDT-0400

#16 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

Ok, to clarify my definition of portable, im looking for something that fits in my car. After further consideration, im dropping the x amount of money to fix my dead asus, i can really see the wisdom of two computers, however i do like to bring my computer to friends houses for beer and games night.

Another important question, how do i know what equipment is superior to other equipment? I know amd and radeon are brands, but is there a trick for knowing what the numbers after mean related to power of the equipment?

#17 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 562 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:57 PM

Number mean nothing at most times.

True till now for most of the time:

CPU: Intel > AMD (esp. in terms of MW:O)
GPU: nVIDIA > AMD, depending on the game, though.

#18 Kurni

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

View PostKaptain, on 06 October 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

This is such a strange misconception to me. A power supply with watts to spare does not generate more heat nor does it cost more to operate than a standard power supply. Infact when one looks at power supply energy ratings like "gold" or "Platinum" those are ratings at full load. Meaning: They are even more energy efficient at reduced loads.

Search for "power supply efficiency curve"
Look at the curve below 50% load.

#19 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

View Postnaterist, on 07 October 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Ok, to clarify my definition of portable, im looking for something that fits in my car. After further consideration, im dropping the x amount of money to fix my dead asus, i can really see the wisdom of two computers, however i do like to bring my computer to friends houses for beer and games night.

Another important question, how do i know what equipment is superior to other equipment? I know amd and radeon are brands, but is there a trick for knowing what the numbers after mean related to power of the equipment?

Asus ROG GX800VH Specs:
Intel Core i7-6820HK (OC up to 4.4GHz)
64GB DDR4 (OC up to 2800MHz)
2x GTX 1080 8GB in SLI (read again 2 1080 GTX's)
18.4" 4K IPS G-Sync Display
Raid 0 Toshiba NVMe PCIe SSDs (3 Toshiba NVMe drives in RAID 0)
Asus MechTAG Mechanical keyboard
Dual radiator liquid cooling dock (yep watercooled)

price should be terrible
but then building a desktop with an 6700K, 2 GTX 1080, 3 PCIe SSDs, rest of the components would net me
grumble grumble
maybe 3000$? maybe 3500?

so price should be really terrible cramming all that in a mobile format

I bet I could build a small form factor PC (micro ATX) with great CPU and Graphics, nice SSD and RAM
strap it to the back of a monitor (small size) and call it a day for much less Posted Image

add wireless mouse and keyboard and youre mobile as much as a laptop
(just need to carry around the power cables, just like with a notebook)

btw
Intel>AMD
Nvidia>AMD

#20 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

View Postnaterist, on 07 October 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Since you're looking for a powerful laptop intel cpu and nvidia gpu will be your only choice.

I'd look for laptops with an nvidia 1080, 1070 or 1060 gpu, that's the latest series, very power efficient, which is important with laptops.

Edited by Flapdrol, 08 October 2016 - 09:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users