My Baby Done Died On Me. I Need Suggestions For A New Computer Now.

25 replies to this topic

#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostKurni, on 07 October 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

Search for "power supply efficiency curve"
Look at the curve below 50% load.

You're making the argument for him as most 750W-850W PSU's will be perfect to run at 50% load (drawing ~425W)

#22 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

Looking at your possible needs. May I suggest looking into a MSI Vortex? Which is definitely thinking about a desktop outside of the box, as the saying goes. Plus, it is light and portable. Given what you said about your laptop, and the issues with all laptops is heat. That Asus ROG based laptop looks wicked! But again it looks rather cumbersome as well, hence my suggestion for looking at the Vortex boxes.

I am still running MW:O and many of today's titles at max settings with my 3rd Gen i5-3570K overclocked via Asus Sabertooth Z77 auto - power settings, which has the CPU running at 4.2Ghz max. Anyhow, enough of my Desktop I built in 2012 that still runs today games and more under an upgraded EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0+ 4GB v-card (originally built with an EVGA GTX 670). Again, built in 2012 that runs MW:O, Division, COD3, and many more at ultimate with no FPS issues. I have not replaced any parts, albeit SSD or HDD running in RAID0 and RAID1 for SSD<< also had liquid cooling from start with Antek 920. I foresee this rig running for many more years if I so chose to keep it as is based in my previous builds. One is from 2002 that still runs just fine - only replaced the CPU. But it works for my wife's PC needs away from work, which are minimal. So, why change something that still does it's job?! It is all about starting with the CPU and sticking to it's QVL vendor qualified list of components. Which I do not buy low to medium grade components for... stick with Quality and high end components. Unless you prefer replacing said laptop/gaming PC often. Save up if need be, but it seems you don't need to, so please do not!

Here's a link to the Vortex, and its retail sellers are bountiful. The architecture beautiful and thinking outside the box unimaginable ... what a beast for the buck! Not to mention its upgradable and already 144 and VR ready!!! I may even grab one, but I am so find of building my own gaming rig, not to mention business rigs, since 1996.

https://us.msi.com/Vortexs

EDIT: but I am so find of building.... find = FOND of building my own gaming rigs...
Happy gaming, regardless!

Addendum: Please, excuse my ramblings. I don't think too much when replying or posting. My fingers hit the keyboard and away they go! :snicker snort: Cheers!

Edited by STR8-Eight, 08 October 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#23 Kurni

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 08 October 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

You're making the argument for him as most 750W-850W PSU's will be perfect to run at 50% load (drawing ~425W)

Did you read what I quoted?
Again:

Meaning: They are even more energy efficient at reduced loads.

And that is FALSE
¿Perfect run?
Yes
¿Ef?
yes... but only if most time is at these load, when browsing the ef. would be terrible (well, not terrible, but not as good...), with an adequate PSU you can use the extra money to choose a better PSU, or better ssd, or better...

Edited by Kurni, 08 October 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#24 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

As far as PSUs go, there is a point where going too big with too little hardware will result in reduced efficiency. That is usually around the 20% load mark, though. So If a system uses 100W at idle and you have a 1000W PSU, you're going to have reduced efficiency compared to if you're running at 500W load with the same 1000W PSU.

80PLUS requires that the PSU be tested at 20%, 50%, and 100% load and pass at least 80% efficiency marks to be certified, so if you're buying an 80PLUS-certified PSU then just know as long as it isn't ridiculously oversized for your system you'll be just fine.

Nitpickers like me, though, typically stick to a PSU about the size where we know our full load numbers will be around 65-80% of the PSU's capacity (depending on if we're thinking about adding the the system in the future or not).

Overall, the numbers game will almost always be in the favor of lower overall load. For instance, who cares if you're only getting 75% efficiency at idle? Nobody, that's who. Who cares if they're getting 82% efficiency at full load? A lot more people than nobody.

For bonus points, use a conditioning/filtering power strip.

#25 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Wow, lot of good advice, thank you all. I wasnt to sure what to do still, so i went to to my local frys and i asked them. One thing i did know for sure was that i would fix my laptop eventually, and get a desktop at the same time, that way i have a work computer and a gaming desktop. I went to frys and i dropped 3500$ on the whole system. I got a ROG moniter, an MSI desktop (he said it was the newest version available) and cloud headset and mike, with a glowin keyboard and gaming mouse.

#26 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

Best wishes unto you and your new system! I had another option which was the MSI backpack - but to be honest I am an ASUS fan for intel or AMD CPU's and build from there. So, it was good to see you at least grabbed a ROG monitor. Can not go wrong with ASUS and, or ROG plus MSI is making headway whereas they used to produce generic crap. Yet, that is not the case nowadays.

Anyhow, Cheers! And Happy Gaming, naterist <S>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users