Anyone Run A I5-2500K & Gtx 780?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

It's been a while Since I Played MWO I Still Hang around on the Forums though, Mainly here in the Hardware & Accessories section if someone needs suggestions for a Build or Upgrades. I'm Thinking about Getting a Upgrade in the Next Couple Weeks though & I'm thinking I Might come back to the Game After Upgrades. Here's my Current Setup:
AMD FX-4100 OCed to 4.7GHz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with 2 Failed RAM Slots, the Failed RAM Slots prevent me from Running Dual Channel so I'm Limited to Single Channel RAM.
4GB (2x2GB) G. Skill Ripsaws 1333MHz CL7 DDR3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Visiontek Radeon HD 6970 2GB w/ Reference Cooler.

For $335 CAD, Here's What I Could Have Delivered:
Intel Core i5-2500k with a ASRock Z68 Extreme Mobo ($150 Pick up or $160 Delivered)
GTX 780 (Non ti) 3GB For $175 Delivered (Could Either Get a Nvidia Reference or a ASUS Direct CU II OC)

I Have the Money Right Now to Get 1 or the Other, My Brother & His Wife owe me some money though so If they can pay me back This or Next Weekend I Should have both within the next 2 Weeks at least. I'm Just Curious if Someone is running a i5-2500k & GTX 780 & How it works for you.
Note Upgrades Won't Be Just For MWO, I Also Plan on some iRacing, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Planetside 2 (Would also Require a RAM Upgrade), Heroes & Generals (Maybe), War Thunder & Some other Games That Shouldn't be as Demanding. Note That 1 Reason I Decided to Go for Nvidia instead of AMD for GPU Despite Budget is that I Plan on Triple Screens in the Future & Nvidia don't have a Display Port Requirement while AMD Does, PhysX Would be a Bonus Also.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

I'd get the 2500K and mobo, that should be a massive upgrade compared to a 4100 that only uses singlechannel.

Gpu should be much faster too, not sure if it's a good deal. mwo and those other games are cpu hogs, should be playable with your current gpu.

Edited by Flapdrol, 12 October 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

I'd do it; I'd think about these cards first, but you are in good shape ether way.

#4 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

http://ca.pcpartpick...,7RKhP6,Ft7CmG/

a New 1060 6GB is Over Twice What I Could Pay for a Used GTX 780 Up here in Canada, & For How Much Improvement?
http://gpu.userbench...-780/3639vs2164

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

Well, the 1060 will perform like a 980. So if you can get a used 970 or 980 you'd be in excellent shape.

As far as the CPU goes, I used to run a 2600K and it was awesome. If you can get the 2500K in the 4.2-4.5GhZ range, you'll be pretty good off for at least medium particles and shadows and high environment settings.

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 12 October 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

a New 1060 6GB is Over Twice What I Could Pay for a Used GTX 780 Up here in Canada, & For How Much Improvement?

At $75, you'd do well to check the details; At $175? You get the the Kepler …

#7 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 12 October 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

The i5 (if its indeed a K version) and the z board will work nice
Should get an AiO for it and OC the sh*the out of it and call it a day ;-)

As for the graphics card
For now the old one would be fine I think

I was happy with my old gtx 780
In MWO and otherwise as well

That being said
There's some Nvidia features that might be interesting to multiple monitor setups in the new 10X0 cards

Tsk
For the moment I'd get the cpu upgrade and see how you're card performs in the game's you like the most

Again waiting longer will always make the price go down

Maybe you find a used 1060 in a while that's at a good price point

But also
A new graphics card is just a drop in replacement
Building a whole new system and testing it out (OC) takes a bit more time

Intel first

View PostLord Letto, on 12 October 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with 2 Failed RAM Slots, the Failed RAM Slots prevent me from Running Dual Channel so I'm Limited to Single Channel RAM.

It's funny that since I switched to Intel I never had a hardware failure again
Ever

To this day every time I make a custom build there's this anxiety if the system will boot up
Thx AMD (hint; all Intel systems booted, always)
Sigh
I swear I never had an AMD system just boot up once I put it all together
Always had to hunt down an error and had to replace something

Probably just bad luck (still I also owned AMD graphics card with factory OC that I had to clock down for them to run stable)
But those things stick

Edited by Peter2k, 14 October 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#8 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

Id go with the cpu and mobo,
I personally could swear that the 6970 would see a huge boost from I5 2500K even with my old CPU clocked to 4.7 by me, lol, Lhetto buy that I5 + mobo i told ya..........theres probably 20% of your gpu that hasnt been uncorked......and you are still on single 1080P monitor.........buy the cpu+mobo and than well talk about getting your hands on that 8gb kit of gskill memory that matches the 4gb kit i sold you/

If your current setup plays 20-55 ish in MWO with decent setting @ 1080P you will bump the min. max and avg enough to notice feel and love the upgrade..........if your doubled your GPU power with a GTX970 Id bet that you would still see huge dips that kill the smoothness.... I would guess that the 2500K+6970 would spank a fx4100+GTX970............

been waiting for you to bring your rig to my basement of pc masterpieces/// would love to prove these theories.

#9 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 14 October 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

The i5 (if its indeed a K version) and the z board will work nice
Should get an AiO for it and OC the sh*the out of it and call it a day ;-)

As for the graphics card
For now the old one would be fine I think

I was happy with my old gtx 780
In MWO and otherwise as well

That being said
There's some Nvidia features that might be interesting to multiple monitor setups in the new 10X0 cards

Tsk
For the moment I'd get the cpu upgrade and see how you're card performs in the game's you like the most

Again waiting longer will always make the price go down

Maybe you find a used 1060 in a while that's at a good price point

But also
A new graphics card is just a drop in replacement
Building a whole new system and testing it out (OC) takes a bit more time

Intel first

It's funny that since I switched to Intel I never had a hardware failure again
Ever

To this day every time I make a custom build there's this anxiety if the system will boot up
Thx AMD (hint; all Intel systems booted, always)
Sigh
I swear I never had an AMD system just boot up once I put it all together
Always had to hunt down an error and had to replace something

Probably just bad luck (still I also owned AMD graphics card with factory OC that I had to clock down for them to run stable)
But those things stick

Funny, the only Amd system I ever had issues with was back on the first Phenom release, a 9550 i think? It turned out to be the Pos motherboard I went with, not the Phenom. Been so long I forget which one it was, but I picked up a better quality board and no issues since. Never had a Amd build not boot up since, and I have built many.

#10 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

Got the GTX 780 (ASUS Direct CU II OC) almost 2 weeks ago , it Works Good & I Noticed FPS Improvements In the Games I Tried with it so far (Even in iRacing that Apparently Requires a Good CPU, DX11 Likely helped though in my case compared to the old DX9 that's going to be gone for Good in the Next Big patch next month). Picked up a New HDD Today (1TB WD Blue (2012) to Replace my old WD Blue 250GB (2007)). I Should be Getting the i5-2500k & ASRock Z68 Extreme Friday Morning.

#11 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:44 AM

Well I Got The i5 & ASRock Mobo Today. To My Surprise it's the Extreme 7 Gen 3, I Was Expecting the Extreme 3 Gen 3:
Extreme 3: http://www.asrock.co...xtreme3%20Gen3/
Extreme 7: http://www.asrock.co...xtreme7%20Gen3/

CPU Already Installed with Stock Cooler (That's Fine as I Was Planing to start with it being stock anyway, Even at stock it should be better than my OCed FX-4100), Guy said Fresh Paste got put on 2 Months ago.

http://cpu.userbench...-4100/619vs2878
(Average User Bench of i5>Peak OC of FX-4100, Therefore I Think Should still be Better Stock than my OCed FX)

If I Were to attempt any OCing with Stock Cooler, It'd be Minor (Like +0.2 GHz to get it to the Stock 3.5GHz of Newer i5's, it's Turbo Speed is 3.7GHz so should be OK I Think?)

$160 Canadian Delivered, Not Bad I Think.

Edited by Lord Letto, 04 November 2016 - 04:47 AM.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 04 November 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

Well I Got The i5 & ASRock Mobo Today. To My Surprise it's the Extreme 7 Gen 3, I Was Expecting the Extreme 3 Gen 3:
Extreme 3: http://www.asrock.co...xtreme3%20Gen3/
Extreme 7: http://www.asrock.co...xtreme7%20Gen3/

CPU Already Installed with Stock Cooler (That's Fine as I Was Planing to start with it being stock anyway, Even at stock it should be better than my OCed FX-4100), Guy said Fresh Paste got put on 2 Months ago.

http://cpu.userbench...-4100/619vs2878
(Average User Bench of i5>Peak OC of FX-4100, Therefore I Think Should still be Better Stock than my OCed FX)

If I Were to attempt any OCing with Stock Cooler, It'd be Minor (Like +0.2 GHz to get it to the Stock 3.5GHz of Newer i5's, it's Turbo Speed is 3.7GHz so should be OK I Think?)

$160 Canadian Delivered, Not Bad I Think.

Not bad indeed. I seem to recall on stock coolers people were originally getting 3.8-4.0GhZ without much of a fuss. Once you put nice cooling on it, 4.4GhZ seemed to be a pretty common overclock. Unlike the i7s, though, the Sandy Bridge i5s tended to hit a brick wall before they could touch 5.0GhZ (I say this because I had many friends looking for the "budget 5GhZ" and never achieving it, while my i7 2600K his 5.05GhZ with a Corsair H50 and very little tweaking).

#13 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

Everything Installed & Appears to work OK right now. All I Need to do is Get Some Drivers & Stuff Like D3D Before I start doing any Gaming to Test & See how it Performs.
And Yes, The CPU is Indeed a i5-2500K, not a Non K Chip:
Posted Image

Edited by Lord Letto, 08 November 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#14 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

You were running win 7 64 bit along time ago, did u get the free win 10 upgrade? or hold tight with win 7? either way should be a nice snappy fast system....

#15 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 08 November 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

You were running win 7 64 bit along time ago, did u get the free win 10 upgrade? or hold tight with win 7? either way should be a nice snappy fast system....

Windows 7 still. Edited Post Put a Pic of my System Screen showing it's W7HPSP1 64Bit, i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.90GB Useable). Windows System Rating was 5.9, as Follows:
Processor: 7.5
RAM: 5.9
Graphics & Gaming Graphics: 7.9 (7.9 is the Max Score, 1 is Minimum)
Primary HD: 5.9

so My RAM & HDD is Holding me back from Getting a Higher Score.

#16 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 08 November 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Windows 7 still. Edited Post Put a Pic of my System Screen showing it's W7HPSP1 64Bit, i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.90GB Useable). Windows System Rating was 5.9, as Follows:
Processor: 7.5
RAM: 5.9
Primary HD: 5.9

so My RAM & HDD is Holding me back from Getting a Higher Score.

Well, unless you plug 16GB of really fast DDR3 in there the RAM score won't change. I don't know what an SSD would change the HDD score to, but I'm assuming it would be in the 7.5-7.9 range. Not sure if they factor drive capacity into the score of it its only speed, though. Either way, on Win10 the WIE score isn't even a thing.

#17 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 08 November 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Yeah: M$ abandoned the system, after saying they could extend it at any time after release …

I've forgotten what going from DDR3-1333-triple to DDR3-1866-triple netted me … But it was worth ~10 fps, IIRC.

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and "winsat formal -restart clean" are two thinks you keep in touch with …

#18 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

Just Wondering, What's the Best (Free) Way to Log FPS While Playing MWO? I Got It up & Running & I'd Like to Log my FPS if Possible.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

FRAPS, or MSI Afterburner (monitoring tab) or EVGA Precision or ASUS GPU Tweak

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 November 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#20 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

us in this hardware forum had been using fraps to log frame times and such back in the day when I was putting together the fx lineup cnfg files and thread affinity jibberish..... You can really see how it averages out when you look @ the frametime files with a viewer. Twas the reason I went Intel side of things.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 09 November 2016 - 09:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users