• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

That truly is the question...

MechWarrior 4 really had this unbreakable hold on people that would quit to play the latest greatest only to come back after the hype died. MWO just hasn't been on that same level of replayability and holding interest for me.

I've not played a meaningful MWO drop in almost 2 years (meaningful being with friends intently to win and dominate drops). I have however dropped in maybe half a dozen times in that time frame.

I've patched up, and am debating is it worth it to come back or should I let this stew for a bit longer?

Onnie

Edited by OnLashoc, 15 October 2016 - 07:13 AM.

#2 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I play MWO mostly because I don't know where most people play mw4 these days. Where do they play?

As for MWO, if you are patched up, it probably won't hurt doing the odd drop or two every once in a while.

#3 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

Ill give it a go to at least see all the new toys since I last played I think like 6 months ago or so.

I keep holding on to this install to see it maybe become as awesome as it could have been. It's not that it was awful (though some of the things the way they were implemented were) it was just for some of us who were here since closed beta it got repetitive and bland.

Have they brought back knock downs yet?

Edited by OnLashoc, 15 October 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#4 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

No knockdowns unfortunately, and the game play is still largely the same. There are a lot of new mechs though.

#5 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

Mech Con in december is when any big announcements involving this game will be dropped.

If not now, in 2 months after mech con announcements, might be the best time to return.

If PGI announces solaris, PvE or something big people might get enthusiastic & be active again.

#6 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:20 AM

I consider MWO game play to be better. The difference that you are having is that it's designed to have shorter matches. With shorter matches means that there is much less risk involved for each match. Winning doesn't matter as much in this game, that's all.

I have different priorities when it comes to playing a mech game which is probably why I enjoy it. If someone plays MWO to get the same experience they had in other mechwarrior tiles, then they are probably going to be dissapointed. MWO is a different game and It has to be a different game when a different group of people design it.

So either play MWO for what it is, instead of what it isn't. Or you can move onto something else. The rest is up to you. It's unlikely the situation is going to change that much.

Edited by Livaria, 16 October 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#7 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

So 4 games in I'm 3-1 and 8 kills to 1 death.

The maps are much better and overall the experience was much more enjoyable. I really like the leaderboard as well, really feels like you're kinda fighting for something now.

I imagine it will only get better.

#8 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

^

I'm really glad someone is having a positive experience.

Rather than using the game and PGI as punching bags, the way some try to do.

Posted Image

#9 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:59 AM

I got back after 2 years like you.
Glad i did it!

I left the game in blind rage...trees that does not fall, poptarts everywhere, awful mechlab and a lot more bad things.

I think that every player like me and you should give a second try to MWO. It was so bad when we left that now (even if still quite far from being a "good" game) it is very entertaining and fun!

#10 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

2 days in and what's really stuck out that has needed improvement is the teammates you're paired with.

I remember ELO or MMR or whatever they call it I remember being tweaked so games are more competitive.

I am I believe 7-5, 4 of my wins were decisive within first 4 minutes of the game, the other 3 were close.

Of my 5 losses 3 were decided in the first 4 minutes, and 2 came down to the last couple mechs on each side squaring off.

Hopefully they continue to tweak the matchmaking, but it's definitely better than when I last played. Before it was damn near ever game a complete blow out, you either won handily 12-2 or you lost by the same measure.

Personally in the 12 games I've climbed to 986 in ranking of average match score and I believe top 800 of meds... hmmm.

#11 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

Don't overlook the fact that we now have in-game comms. If only 2 or 3 people use them on the team, at leaast the ones that don't have some idea of what teammates are thinking..

#12 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

Yea I definitely noticed that being use way more, and very efficiently in the games I've played.

I'll keep playing I've definitely been encouraged by the progress made. I'm just sad it's taken this long. I applaud those that have stuck through this long process just to get to this point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users