Anyone Running A I-950 Or Similar Cpu Still?

6 replies to this topic

#1 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

Just wondering if anyone is still running one of the I-9xx series CPU's? If so what GPU are you using and how is your gaming experience in MWO?

I currently run a I-950 oc'd to 3.51ghz with a EVGA gtx770 and 12gb ram. I'm running everything on high @ 1080p and usually can keep above 50fps at all times. It works well for me and I'm still holding out on an upgrade for a while. Anyone have any advice on how to tweak my rig to get a little more out of it?

Thanks.

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

This game is CPU bound more so than GPU bound.
It loves 3 or more cores and clockspeed.

Your CPU sounds fine.

Try lowering your graphics settings and see how you like it. Higher FPS helps with gameplay more so than pretty graphics.

Try the following:

Switch off AA
Reduce all settings to low, except, Object Detail, Texturing and Environment Setting which you can set these to high or higher (check your Frame rate, press f9).

Hope this helps

#3 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

Your GPU is perfectly fine. I run a 770 classified + 6600k (OCed to 4.5ghz) and on high@1080 (no glass-PP on low) I'm 60fps-130fps. (I have logs if you want specifics)

My buddy runs a intel 960(?) with 2 GTX580s 3gb in SLI and it handles medium pretty well. I'm not sure what we have his cpu clocked at...

From those 2 system experiences id say the best thing you can do is crank up the overclock. Those processors are capable of some pretty crazy overclocking. http://www.overclock...read-first-post

#4 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:05 AM

upgrade your cpu to Intel Xeon X5687

that Xeon has a 32nm Westmere core and overclocks really well(easily to 4ghz),just make sure your motherboard supports westmere processors,the 980 and 990,and you should be good

#5 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of going with a Xeon CPU. I looked into the 980/990 CPU's but a good one is still pretty expensive. I'll look into the Xeon option. I don't really see the need to retire my rig quite yet. Still plays everything I want and it's been paid off for years. Just trying to find a way to tweak my current build to make it last as long as possible.

Thanks

#6 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostJSmith7784, on 25 October 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of going with a Xeon CPU. I looked into the 980/990 CPU's but a good one is still pretty expensive. I'll look into the Xeon option. I don't really see the need to retire my rig quite yet. Still plays everything I want and it's been paid off for years. Just trying to find a way to tweak my current build to make it last as long as possible.

Thanks

i7 980 and 990 are expensive,if you need 6 cores go for X5670 or W3680 Xeons,they can be had for 100-120 dollars,but that X5687 is only 4 cores but is usually a bit cheaper,70-80 dollars

#7 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostJSmith7784, on 25 October 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks

Maybe you get lucky on a used xeon like Rear Admiral said

Though you should know that a high clocking 4 core would be better suited for MWO than a lower clocking 6 core

Aside from the hardware
Mmm

Particles and environment have the biggest impact cpu wise (draw calls)

If you can live with at least particles on lowest then it might help you out a lot

Also since you didn't mention what os you're running

MASSIVE FPS IMPROVEMENT THROUGH ENABLING HPET IN BIOS AND WIN10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users