#21 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostRayvn26, on 15 October 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm curious about some of the options available to some of my mechs, for instance my Atlas mechs, is there a reason not to use an XL engine or Endo-Steel or Ferro-Fibrous? I'm just starting to mess around with builds so any info will be appreciated.

The general rule for mechs is listed below:

On Light mechs:
Endo - Yes
FF - Yes
DHS - Yes
XL - Yes

This is due mostly to Light mechs being tonnage starved over critical spaces starved.

Mediums:
Endo - Yes
FF- Maybe, depends on crit spaces
DHS - Yes
XL - Yes, mostly

This is due to Mediums often being weight starved or hard point starved, this is also the first weight class that FF is an optional upgrade, sometimes it's worth it, other times it's not worth the crit space it takes up.

Heavies:
Endo - Yes
FF - Sometimes, if space allows
DHS - Yes
XL - On some

Heavies are the first weight class, where XL engines become more of an optional kit, this is largely due to Heavies having more of a cirt space problem rather than a weight problem.

Assault:
Endo - Yes
FF - Rarely
DHS - Yes
XL - Optional on some mechs

Assault mechs are the one weight class that is often crit space starved rather than payload weight starved and are often better served by running a standard engine and standard armour. How ever, that is not always the case, mechs like the Battle Master and Banshee (as well as all Clan Assaults) can (and often should) run XL engines and FF

#22 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

Meetus Regum has posted good rules of thumb, but those are not absolutes, some Light Mechs do not have space for Endo Fero and an XL engine (e.g. if talking lots of light weapons and you also want extra heatsinks on a Mech with lower arm and hand actuators), and some work better with standard engines than XL, and I have assault Mech builds with Endo, Fero and an XL engine (although I really hate being slow, so an 80kph+ assault Mech is a good assault Mech in my mind, and if you are running laser builds the XL400 with its 6 extra in engine heat sink slots can really help), it is completely dependant on what you want it to do with them.

#23 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostRayvn26, on 18 October 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

Seems too simple, but might work with my limited skill set right now.

http://BOAR'S HEAD

Make sure your head armor is always at 15 minimum. Though, tbh, the cockpit on the Atlas is so tiny, that a dual gauss will virtually never hit it. However, just in case, 15 armor minimum lets you survive a dual gauss shot to the noggin' Unless of course, the shot crits. Nothing can save you form that.

Also, for a remarkably accurate reference on the hitboxes for mechs in this game, I highly recommend this Hitbox Localization guide

#24 Rayvn26

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

Thank you all for the tips and especially on the hitbox location guides, these will help a lot. I recently upgraded my computer, yes 762 NATO I can actually play now, so I've been playing around with the academy and stuff learning the movements and how fast I can twist and such, and tossing in a game or two when my interwebs allow me. So in short I've been putting everything you guys/girls have been explaining to to me to use and in my last 4 games I've gotten 2 kills as opposed to 4 kills in 58 games, so I chock that up as a win.

Edited by Rayvn26, 19 October 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#25 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostRayvn26, on 19 October 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Thank you all for the tips and especially on the hitbox location guides, these will help a lot. I recently upgraded my computer, yes 762 NATO I can actually play now, so I've been playing around with the academy and stuff learning the movements and how fast I can twist and such, and tossing in a game or two when my interwebs allow me. So in short I've been putting everything you guys/girls have been explaining to to me to use and in my last 4 games I've gotten 2 kills as opposed to 4 kills in 58 games, so I chock that up as a win.

A big thing to remember is that twisting speed is tied to engine size, what this means is that a Centurion CN9-D with a 250 series engine will twist slower than a Centurion CN9-D with a 300 series engine, this is on top of the speed difference between the two.

I personally think that tethering twist speed to engine size was a bit short sighted on PGI's part, as it makes some mechs too agile while punishing others overly harshly due to engine size limitations.

Edit:

Looking at your Boar's Head build, might I offer this:
BOAR'S HEAD

This version downgrades the MPL's to MLas for better synergy with the AC/20, as the MLas and AC/20 both have an optimal range of 270m, this means at 270m you are getting full damage from all your weapons. The other thing that I did was adjust the armour balance a little and cram in a 375 series standard engine, it's not much of a change but it does get you over 60km/h before speed tweak.

Edited by Metus regem, 19 October 2016 - 10:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users