- - - - -

Best Assault Mech For Non-Assault Mech Pilots?

36 replies to this topic

#21 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 16 October 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

not on a sustainable level.
Straight line speed is not the only metric when it comes to mobility.

I agree that there is more to mobility than straight line speed. Because of this i wondered why you think that the MASC on the Spirit Bear is not on a sustainable level. What MASC really does for assaults is to give them it's hefty acceleration/deceleration boost, which helps in many situations just by tapping the MASC-button briefly.

And especially the Spirit Bear does not even need the speed boost permanently. It just needs to be long enough to get him from cover to cover until he can engage brawling, and that's exactly what MASC delivers.

BTW, we can all be glad that the KDK-3 does not have access to MASC. With it's high-mounted ACs it could hill-hump like a light mech without ever bringing his MASC into the red zone. Heck, it could even peek around corners without risking too much return-fire...

Edit:
Regarding the OP:

I'm a light/medium pilot myself and have a hard time piloting Assaults. I can only do well in the faster ones like the Kodiak. So my advice would be to stay far away from really slow mechs like the Dire Wolf.

And keep in mind that as an Assault pilot you often have the burden to lead the way and initiate pushes. So you need some strategic skill and map-awareness to know where and when to push.

Edited by Daggett, 17 October 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#22 Cat Kalasa

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:16 AM

I've had a terrible time with the champion stalker that's out now (4 ML, 4 LRM 10 + artemis), however, that's probably the loadout. I've seen some LL/ERLL variants that can rip.

#23 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:42 AM

I don't have one, but want 2, but I have heard good things about the Gargoyle
and not hard to get 2 in the drop deck, and still have a functional drop deck

#24 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

The Gargoyle isn't a "great" mech, but the Gar-D in particular can be a point-n-click brawler if allowed. 12spls (two firing groups) and running speed of ~90kph means with a little care you've got a good chance to get up close and personal and if you can hold your aim steady the SPLs cut through a section like a hot laser through butter.

#25 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

I just picked up the Cyclops it's pretty good at ~64 KPH and it has the added benefit of not being an Atlas. Which means it doesn't have a "Shoot me first" sign hung on it :)

#26 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

My Battlemaster feels "fast" even without XL.
STD 340, 2x LL, 3x MPL, 2x SRM6

BLR-2C

#27 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:30 AM

If you're not used to playing assaults, I'd recommend the cyclops when it comes out for bills or mauler.
Cyclops has the option of running fast as well as multiple bracket builds and a decent chassis for spreading damage. Heck, you could even use it as a sensor booster for a flank maneuver, getting you lrm support as you close in for the flank.
The mauler runs slower, but it's got great fire support capabilities that no other assaults other than the kdk 3 brings. Walk with your team and you could lay the hurt easily.
Clan assaults tend to move faster too, with the exception of the whale. Gargoyles have a better general speed that is faster than most IS heavies and the EXE has masc and JJ to get favourable positions faster. But these 2 tend to suffer from lack of weaponry

#28 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 18 October 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

My Battlemaster feels "fast" even without XL.
STD 340, 2x LL, 3x MPL, 2x SRM6

BLR-2C

This one is actually fast and has great weapon synergy.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...751b437a3bd652f

Though a std engine on a BLR-2C does make for a very tanky mech

#29 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostCatGalaxy, on 16 October 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

Howdy,

Looking at buying my first assault here after Mechtoberfest is over. I play primarily lights and mediums, as I prefer speed and agility over tanking damage.

Any recommendations on mechs? Or tips for non assault pilots?

I also find myself to be a Medium mech pilot, but like any good Mechwarrior, I also own a selection of Assault mechs.

Out of those assault mechs, I've really come to appreciate my EXE for it's agility, mobility and speed. The hardest part of it was finding a build that worked with it's limited pod space. I settled upon a dual ERLL and dual UAC5 build. I will state that the EXE is not a mech for everyone. It's a niche mech that doesn't fit well with most people's definition of what an Assault mech should do.

In regards to the Battlemaster, I find it is fast but when I last tested it, it was found to not be agile. There is a difference between agile is fast. The Battlemaster could travel at speeds of 80 KPH, but I found it was sluggish to take turns and come to a stop or start to move. It's a fine mech, but be aware that it is fast but not agile. On that note, the Awesome and Zeus also are rather fast assaults. I have not had as much experience in those mechs though, so I can't relay their agility.

I might even consider looking at the Gargoyle if you want a rather speedy assault. It's as fast as the Timberwolf and Nova, but carries about 5 less tons for weapons compared to the Timberwolf. I've never used a Gargoyle, but it seems like a reasonable fit for pilots more accustomed to speed and agility.

#30 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

Keep in mind that the Kodiak is currently not available for c-bills. Before a mech becomes available for c-bills PGI usually hits it with the nerf bat. Buyer beware.

That being said, I'll also recommend the Battlemaster. I found it to be fairly agile for an Assault. No Assault-class mech will ever be agile when compared to a quick Medium-class mech. But when compared to other Assaults, the Battlemaster is agile. I got my Johnny 5 achievement award in a Battlemaster trial champion with a bunch of LPL's (yes, the mech ran hot, and I needed to employ heat management/firing discipline).

Edited by bar10jim, 18 October 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#31 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

View Postbar10jim, on 18 October 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the Kodiak is currently not available for c-bills. Before a mech becomes available for c-bills PGI usually hits it with the nerf bat. Buyer beware.

That being said, I'll also recommend the Battlemaster. I found it to be fairly agile for an Assault. No Assault-class mech will ever be agile when compared to a quick Medium-class mech. But when compared to other Assaults, the Battlemaster is agile. I got my Johnny 5 achievement award in a Battlemaster trial champion with a bunch of LPL's (yes, the mech ran hot, and I needed to employ heat management/firing discipline).

Kodiak is available for C-bills last I recalled.Wasn't that a couple patches ago?

As for agility, I'm talking not just speed, but how it turns, twists, starts and stops. The Battlemaster is fast, but not overly agile. It takes a long while for it to get to speed and for it to stop. It doesn't twist very fast and many of them don't even twist much. They also take a bit to turn, meaning for sharp turns you may need to slow down to not bypass the turn.

You are correct that most any assault wont compare to a light's or medium's agility. I found the EXE to fulfill the agility ranks well. It's able to stop and start quickly, as well as twists and turns with good speeds. For a 95 ton mech, it's like playing a large medium in my opinion.

Of course, this is my opinion.

#32 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

As most others have said I would go for a Battlemaster for your first. I personally got the King Crab as my first Assault and when your that slow it takes a while to get used to it.

Battlemaster has good variety over its variants, with one missile-heavy one dakka-heavy and the rest more of a blend. The 2C has a lot of structure quirks making it tough, and can hold 2 AMS, the 1G is good if you like ballistics and also has great ML quirks.

Otherwise i could also say go for the Zeus, its fairly fast and has good variety as well, but i dont think its as good as an all rounder like the Battlemaster.

My favourite assault is definitely the Highlander, but its not the best mech at all. They added faction camo for it though so i can finally do it up with Kurita camo.

Edited: one other piece of advice, the most important thing with assaults is positioning, with mediums or even heavies you often get multiple chances to choose a spot to try attack from, in an assault you really only get one chance as your too slow to reposition. Map awareness is key.

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 18 October 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#33 ConfettiHunter

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

Buy a KDK 3 With 4 UAC 10s or 2UAC10s and 2 UAC5s. and you will win every fight ever

#34 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

From my experience (I pilot assaults 80% of the time.) Id say either a Battlemaster or a Kodiak. The Battlemaster has a good variety of hard points and abilities to give you anything you are looking for while still having some of the speed and maneuverability that you are used to. The Kodiak is fast for an assault but you will likely not enjoy the hitboxes as its chest is almost always exposed.
Its a tough jump to go from a super fast mech to a slow beast but you will enjoy the firepower that an assault brings to the table. Still that adds to the problem as well because you will have to manage heat more with more weapons and you will have to set up your fire controls properly when you go from a few weapons to lots and lots.

#35 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

If you're new to assaults... personal opinion is don't get a kodiak. It's good but you are always the priority target so you don't might not survive well while learning about assaults

#36 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

I have a few Zeus'. I don't hate them, but they are not an optimal choice (hardpoint locations etc...), that said they're "Fast" for an assault (I have mediums that are slower :( ) so they work for me as a "Quick" assault. Just play them like a bloated heavy because they are volumetirically larger than heavies.

#37 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

View PostBlind Baku, on 27 October 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

I have a few Zeus'. I don't hate them, but they are not an optimal choice (hardpoint locations etc...), that said they're "Fast" for an assault. Just play them like a bloated heavy because they are volumetirically larger than heavies.

Aye, the Zeus is perhaps not a meta mech but it does work well all things considered. If you go with a STD engine it's a bit light on guns but it's also not a prime target, meaning you can get into position and use your guns better than some guy in a "KILL IT NOW" Stalker or Dire Wolf.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users