Is V Clan Mechs?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Redneck_Red

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

I am a newly returning player. I actually left before any clan mechs had been released.

I am just wondering... is there a reason why almost all of the new mechs coming are clan?

Huntsman just arrived.... and in pre-order we have

Clan Heroes (Clan)
Bushwacker (IS)
Linebacker (Clan)
Marauder IIc (Clan)

and the newly announced Supernova (Clan).

This seems really heavily slated towards one side.

I mean, I know people will talk about clan mechs being better etc etc etc, but to be honest, I am not a fan of Omnimechs. Yea, that is my own issue.... but it seems like a really rotten time to want to play Inner Sphere.

Is there some explanation I have missed?

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

You might notice how many Clan chassis there are as opposed to the Inner Sphere.

Clans v. Inner Sphere are pretty balanced, but they've got a lot of catching up to do in order to give Clan players the same variety of choices the Inner Sphere enjoys - even accounting for Omni-pods. Even so, out of the last 14 'mechs released, 8 have been Inner Sphere 'mechs (because they finally solved the Unseen/Reseen issues with the Robotech-derived Battlemechs,) so we're well overdue for more Clan offerings.

Edited by Void Angel, 19 October 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#3 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 October 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

You might notice how many Clan chassis there are as opposed to the Inner Sphere.

Clans v. Inner Sphere are pretty balanced, but they've got a lot of catching up to do in order to give Clan players the same variety of choices the Inner Sphere enjoys - even accounting for Omni-pods.

Yup, it's catchup.

#4 Redneck_Red

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Right. Thank you for the replies.

I guess that makes sense... just poor timing for coming back to the IS at the moment.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

No, it is a great time to come in as an IS player. Almost every good IS mech can be purchased for c-bills now, no real money required.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Or you can still buy the mech packs without the preorder goodies - depending on your budget, it may be worth it to you. Some of them aren't as good as the others (e.g. the Archer isn't much seen, while the Marauder is a great 'mech,) so ask around before you go that route.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostRedneck_Red, on 19 October 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I mean, I know people will talk about clan mechs being better etc etc etc, but to be honest, I am not a fan of Omnimechs. Yea, that is my own issue.... but it seems like a really rotten time to want to play Inner Sphere.

IMO there are tons of good IS mechs.. IS mechs have been around lots longer, so there are tons of um.. Besides last year when this new way of selling started it was all IS mechs, so while lately there are more clan mechs coming, they are still catching up..

Clans are a bit more flexible because of omni system, you can make more builds with a few mechs, but tend to run hotter. the heavy/.assault tend to be a bit more mobile. More clans can run the "glass cannon builds"

IS mechs, run a bit cooler, and hit harder because of shorter duration or single slugs. You also would need more mechs to cover the same number of builds. Mediums/lights on IS are a bit more mobile. IS when built with STD engines and structure/armor quirks are a bit more tanky

This is purely for pugs, and of course there are exceptions to those rules.. but it kinda sums them up if you wanna lump um all together.

Comp players might say something different, but even watching the tournaments, there seams to be a good combo of IS and clan..

I like both, But if you want to just get a few mechs, with a limited number of bays, 3-4 clan chassis can do a ton.. IS on the other hand, you need many more mechs, But they can be cheaper if you swap parts, and just want to level one of the set. It's all in kinda how you look at it..

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

In terms of costs,
an Inner Sphere Mech tends to be (relitavely) cheep to purchase but expensive to outfit.
A Clan Omnimech tends to be expensive to purchase but (relitavely) cheep to outfit due to the locked engine, and not having the Endo, DHS or Fero upgrades available
A Clan Battlemech (anything with IIC at the end of its name or the Kodiak) tends to be cheaper than a comparable omnimech to purchase but more expensive to outfit than an omni
Ether way you end up paying about the same to buy and outfit a single Mech.
Where Battlemechs (mostly IS Mechs)work out cheeper is that if you want to use an XL engine costing 4-6 million you can just swap that between Mechs but every variant of a Clan Omnimech will include the cost of that expensive engine

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 October 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#9 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

Didnt inner sphere have like 4 heavies back to back last year? And before that, had a resistance pack with 4 inner shere mechs?

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 20 October 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Didnt inner sphere have like 4 heavies back to back last year? And before that, had a resistance pack with 4 inner shere mechs?

But we want MOAR!

Actually I could go for a new light mech already.

#11 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 20 October 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

But we want MOAR!

Actually I could go for a new light mech already.

Posted Image

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostRedneck_Red, on 19 October 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I am a newly returning player. I actually left before any clan mechs had been released.

I am just wondering... is there a reason why almost all of the new mechs coming are clan?

Just prior to those mechs, we had...
(not in order)
Marauder, Rifleman, Warhammer, Archer, Phoenix Hawk.. (all IS mechs)

and we've had IS heroes for almost 4 years with no Clan heroes.

Next one should be an IS if the packages are going in order, but largely we do have deficiency in Clan mechs.
Side note:
With Super Nova and Kodiak and Dire Wolf, Clans have 3 one hundred ton mechs.
IS needs another one.

#13 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 October 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Side note:
With Super Nova and Kodiak and Dire Wolf, Clans have 3 one hundred ton mechs.
IS needs another one.

Supernova is a 90 ton mech.

#14 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 October 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Just prior to those mechs, we had...
(not in order)
Marauder, Rifleman, Warhammer, Archer, Phoenix Hawk.. (all IS mechs)

You forgot about Origins IIC. 4 Clan Mechs. And I agree that clans need more chassis to get near the variety of IS chassis.

Unfortunately, lots of IS Mechs are not up to date in terms of quirk/hardpoint balance. New mechs get lots of hardpoints most of the time while old ones are stuck with fewer hardpoints. And I'm not only talking about Zeus, Dragon, Highlander or Victor.

#15 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostExard3k, on 20 October 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

You forgot about Origins IIC. 4 Clan Mechs. And I agree that clans need more chassis to get near the variety of IS chassis.

Unfortunately, lots of IS Mechs are not up to date in terms of quirk/hardpoint balance. New mechs get lots of hardpoints most of the time while old ones are stuck with fewer hardpoints. And I'm not only talking about Zeus, Dragon, Highlander or Victor.

Well, that's coming if you look at the packages. Clans just recently got the Viper, Night Gyr, and Huntsman and by the end of the year you'll get the Linebacker, Clan Heroes on the same day, and Marauder IIC. Start of next year the IS gets the Bushwacker, and then the Clans get the Supernova. Plus the loyalty rewards dropped two new Summoners which are pretty good, so once they come out for everyone else the Summoner should see a nice revitalization. I do wish they'd release more packs of 4 mechs instead of a slow trickle of one mech at a time. At least it means we get new stompy robbits every month though.

I think you're pretty spot on about the limited hardpoints. A good number of old IS mechs are locked to a handful of hardpoints, which can suck pretty hard when the meta these days is all about how many UACs or LPLs you can boat.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostExard3k, on 20 October 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Waves 1-3
versus Phoenix, Resistance 1-3
So they were do another "wave".

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

View PostRuccus, on 20 October 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Supernova is a 90 ton mech.

You're right.

In which case the IS and Clan are kinda balancing out then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users