About Steam

12 replies to this topic

#1 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

The executable doesn't work, the repair tool doesn't work. I've lost one day trying to get all this crap to work and I've failed. So, I've lost still more time installing Steam.

Tell me that there is a way to use the existing installation of MWO and I don't need to reinstall the Steam version of the game and download all the patches again.

Edited by Vasili Kerensky, 19 October 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

Exactly what is the issue? You can reload the the game setup above in the upper right corner, point it to your MWO folder, install. Once it starts actually patching, stop the patching then run the Repair Tool to verify the files.

http://mwomercs.com/...client-missing/

Steam does not have the launchpad exe but it does have the actual client. The above will show you how to setup a bypass of the patcher, provided the game was patched yesterday.

Or if you have a customized user.cfg in your MWO folder, also rename it. At the same time, rename game.cfg that is located in your Saved Games, MWO folder.

Also, where is your MWO folder located? A number of players cured their issues by moving the folder from the default location (shudders) to a more customized location, ie c:\games then creating new shortcuts.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 October 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

Okay, more update from your posts in other subforums/threads. yeah!!!

View PostVasili Kerensky, on 19 October 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

The standard executable doesn't work since the last patch. The bootstrap sentinel appears on the Task Manager but does nothing.

I downloaded the patch files with direct download. Guess what? I can do nothing with them.
I ran the repair tool which took more than 7 hours to finish 'fixing' my installation which worked fine, by downloading and replacing most everything.
The standard executable still doesn't work.

What must I do in order for this game to work as it should? No, I don't want 'Steam' as an answer.

Okay, what version of Win10 are you running? Are you running Insider program/fast ring updates? The BUILD 14946 have caused some games to not launch. You may need to roll back to the previous version.

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

yea, i am at a loss of the issue.. You want to use steam? you have steam and cant load the game? You don't want to use steam? You want to use the stand-a-lone launcher?

did it once work and now it doesnt? if it once did, when was the last time you played? launcher and patcher have changed..

If things are really that screwed up, just uninstall, and either A reinstall steam, Or B, reinstall the launcher,, you shouldn't have issues.. Steam btw, doesn't use many resources, i've noticed zero change in FPS, or performance, and just the ease of steam patcher, and their repair tools work fine.

#5 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:16 AM

My issue is that nothing works as it should. The MechwarriorOnline.exe runs and does nothing. I can't download the patch, either through the patcher or manually because I don't have the ******* screen that has the gear at the top right. Since the last patch I've been running the game by firing up the client instead of the standard executable. The repair tool is another piece of crap that only wasted my time and did nothing.
I downloaded Steam. When I try to play the game through Steam, it begins to install the game. My question is how can I play the game using the existing installation and patch it through Steam without going through the ******* installation and multi-GB patching again?

I have Win8 because I didn't want to go though the myriad problems of Win10, as usual with every new Win version.

Edited by Vasili Kerensky, 20 October 2016 - 02:17 AM.

#6 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:43 AM

Right click on MWO in your steam games library, watch for local data and try to copy the files in there. I dont know if the steam version is the same though. You should check and ask support, MWO support that is. But easy way would be just to let steam download the whole game again it shouldnt take too long depending on your inet connection.

#7 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

It will take more than 4 hours of my life with my crap connection. Now, I'm trying to uninstall the game and even that fails! The state of this game has passed the ludicrous line and rapidly progresses to the F**k Off line.

Downloading the Steam version now, without having uninstalled the original installation - because it's ******* impossible to do so. 11 ******* hours of my life for this latest stupidity in my ongoing quest to make this ******* game work. If I'm not in the cockpit 5 minutes after this installation ends, I'm done with MWO and I'll wait for the BT game to come out.

Edited by Vasili Kerensky, 20 October 2016 - 03:05 AM.

#8 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:18 AM

Relax bro. Think of your healthPosted Image . I would recommend to play/do something else and try to calm down, because if you got unlucky and the first games are a loosing streak i would be concerned about your PCPosted Image . And to be honest i would wait for the BT gamePosted Image

#9 Jaguaar

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

Hey Vasili, It sucks to dload something huge like MWO with a not so great connection. I would suggest, if you ever have to do this again, do it before you go to bed. That way it should be done when you get up the next day. That's how I usually handle huge downloads if I am having issues. It will do a couple things for you... Mainly, keeping you sane and calm and when you get up, surprise, it's done. I hope this all works out for you but I would definitely suggest having some patience cause you will need it in game as well when you are first starting out.

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:28 AM

(Known Steam Hater)

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...lder-structure/

The thread will show how to copy the files from your stand alone to Steam, then steam can verify integrity of files (their repair tool version) and get you to the log in screen.

#12 Vasili Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thank you for the help. I endured another 13-hour download after a two-day fruitless quest to make the game work and in the end, the Steam installation worked as intended. I did indeed need patience but the problems came at a two-day period where work had f****d me up, so it was in short supply.

Tarl Cabot, for no reason at all (other than faulty coding and operation of both the standard executable and the repair tool) my original installation had become messed up and I didn't risk using those files for the Steam installation. The whole point was to replace the existing installation with the Steam one and thankfully, it was done successfully.

Edited by Vasili Kerensky, 21 October 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

I can understand the frak up work issues. FYI general settings and such are in the saved games\mwo\profile folders, which if something becomes corrupted can cause gaming issues at times.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 October 2016 - 04:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users