Inner Sphere 2016 Loyalty Mech First Impressions And Builds

7 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

So, I figured I'd share my first impressions and builds for the IS loyalty mechs. I haven't really messed around with the clan offerings too much yet, but the Summoner-F has been enjoyable.

Lets start with the Blackjack BJ-2. So far, my first impressions have more or less been along the lines of "get stuck in, then die instantly because the Blackjack isn't tough enough to run SRMs with an XL, but it's not fast enough to run SRMs with a STD." It usually pulls 300 damage pretty quickly though, so it's been an interesting experience so far and easily the most enjoyable of the lot. Running with 4x SRM4s, 2x MPLs, and 3 JJs on an XL235.

The Cataphract CTF-3L has probably been the second most enjoyable of the lot so far. MASC gives it a decent corner poke, but it's extremely tight on tonnage so it's not as strong of a brawler as other single-ballistic 'Phracts are, being limited to, at best, an AC10. You could work in a 20, but at that point you'd be better off with the 0XP or the 3D. Without the MASC, you're basically running a 1X so... I don't know. It's not bad, but MASC really isn't that useful. I suppose you could build an LL or PPC poke build, but that's an odd build for a Cataphract without JJs. Running with an LB10X and 5 MPLs on a STD 300.

The Stalker STK-3FB is an odd one and probably my least favorite, not because it's bad but because I dislike how easily the Stalker gets its STs blown off. ECM is nice though. Just wish it had a CT hardpoint so I could do some damage after I inevitably get my STs blown off. I'm not sure how well it would run the 6x LL build since it lacks quirks in general and doesn't really have a lot of tonnage for heat sinks, but it actually works pretty well as a mid-range support assault. 4x LRM5s, 2x LLs, and 4x MLs give it a nice amount of firepower and range spread and and STD 305 give it nice speed.

#2 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

View PostSidefire, on 19 October 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

The Stalker STK-3FB is an odd one and probably my least favorite, not because it's bad but because I dislike how easily the Stalker gets its STs blown off.

Welcome to every Stalker ever, still better than a easy center to core.

#3 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

the Cataphract is great http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=464&l=d6c68eca5e6a0aea47bdad8e7b14b7601a7ef992
try this build ... I have been punching out 500-800DMG on average. MASC works like a charm!

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostDanjo San, on 20 October 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

the Cataphract is great http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=464&l=d6c68eca5e6a0aea47bdad8e7b14b7601a7ef992
try this build ... I have been punching out 500-800DMG on average. MASC works like a charm!

You could be onto something there :-)
I tried the classic 3LPL&2ML laser vomit. It's nice but runs rather hot.

#5 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 20 October 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

You could be onto something there :-)
I tried the classic 3LPL&2ML laser vomit. It's nice but runs rather hot.

yeah, my initial thought was to run it with 3 LPL... however you end up using your high mounted torso lasers more often than you use your arm weapons ... so the switch to 2 LPL in the torsi and 3 MPL in the arms went quite easy... put the LPL on one weapon group and the MPL on the second... don't get me wrong ... the mech is toasty, but it works out fine if you refrain from firing the MPLs until you are sure you can use them to their full potential. BTW. Coolshots are a must!

#6 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

IDK... I do something similar but faster, with 3 LPLs + 2 ML, in a Jester. With better weapon mounts. And better quirks.
Without MASC, but fast enough anyway. Where is the advantage of the Cataphract?

#7 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostKuaron, on 20 October 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

IDK... I do something similar but faster, with 3 LPLs + 2 ML, in a Jester. With better weapon mounts. And better quirks.
Without MASC, but fast enough anyway. Where is the advantage of the Cataphract?

How about the extra 104 point of internal structure on the CTF?
Besides MASC is not only about speed, but acceleration and turn rate. Your Jester might be faster overall, but the CTF is able to poke and hide much quicker.

I currently run my CTF with 2 LPLs in the right arm and one in the right torso. Great for side-poking and shooting down UAVs. Bad for hill-humping. But I didn't buy XL340 just to stand behind a hill. I've got my Marauder just for that.

Edited by Kmieciu, 20 October 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#8 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostDanjo San, on 20 October 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

Generally dont do XL on heavies but this build is so much fun, feels like im in a medium but tankier, .thumbs up.

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 22 October 2016 - 08:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users