Grab Bags: Odds Check (Event Over, Still Accepting Data!)

259 replies to this topic

#1 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:31 PM

4,700 LOOT BAGS RECORDED! THANKS GUYS!

Accepting New Users, New Loot Bags, and Stat Tracking Metric Suggestions! Will Remain Open Until 2000 EDT Wednesday 02, November 2016

Update: New 'Overall vs. User' Stat Page Available. Check It Out!

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Original Post Edited For Clarity! Original Text Spoilered!

I'm gathering grab bag information to track odds. Want to help? Whenever you like, either every day or once at the end of the event(Or anything in between), take a screenshot of your grab bag results (Or type out each individual result) and post it here. I'll put it into a Google Spreadsheet (Already up and tracking), and hopefully, we'll get a large enough sample size to accurately track the odds!

I appreciate anyone who's willing to help! You don't need to get every grab bag either - Just give me what you got! And you can start on any day, and end on any day!

Do keep in mind that I need all the results, not cherry picked 'best of' or totals. I'm tracking each individual loot bag, so I need everything.

Thanks in advance!

(48) People who are currently helping:
Spoiler

Current Grab Bags Tracked - 4,725

Early Sheet Version (Updated 11/02/2016 1153 EDT) : The following link has an overview of all collected data so far, and will automatically update as I introduce more spreadsheet info into the admin page. It is not, however, the final presentation. I'm working on a better formatted page. Any suggestions are welcome.

In addition, a new page has been added that compares a user with 120 loot bags gathered to the overall gathered average, to highlight how different a users experience can be from the 'true' odds.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Spoiler

Edited by Bombast, 02 November 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, sure why not.

Posted Image

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:59 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

So, anyone else going to work on getting those grab bags for a laugh? Or is it too much effort (Understandably. Seriously, should have allowed people to earn one for every 80 points gotten for match, 160=Two Bags, 240=Three bags)?

That will only encourage people to bring the biggest and killiest mechs. My Kodiak-3 usually get 600-700 match score per game. You want the event filled with KDK-3s?

Edited by El Bandito, 21 October 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#4 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 October 2016 - 01:59 AM, said:

That will only encourage people to bring the biggest and killiest mechs. My Kodiak-3 usually get 600-700 match score per game. You want the event filled with KDK-3s?

True (not that it needs even MORE encouragement) but they really should be fair to CW and give like 3-4 bags instead of just 1. Like maybe that suggested formula for CW matches only.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

Seriously, should have allowed people to earn one for every 80 points gotten for match, 160=Two Bags, 240=Three bags)?

The idea is to keep the player population high and active.

So it's not a bad idea in that respect.

I don't know whether I'll try for all 15 every day. I probably will, but I won't beat myself up if I miss some days/quotas.

Edited by Appogee, 21 October 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:30 AM

I doubt anyone at tier 1 would see a difference.

It's always filled with KDKs, when people aren't trying out newly released mechs. Posted Image

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

It seems like an over abundance of Kodiaks (Which is already the case, half of the time) is more ideal then people just throwing their hands up and not bothering, or possibly an increase in zooming and booming. Just seems like making 15 matches necessary is more likely to make matches worse then people going a bit heavy.

#8 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

I don't think it should have been 15 matches. Make it 5 or so and increase the rewards in each bag. I can probably do the 15/day, and I'll see when I get there, but it is a lot of time and I know a lot of people that either can't or won't. A reasonable number of matches still gets people on every day, but doesn't try to keep them on 3+ hours.

#9 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

The spirit of the Halloween collect-a-thon is alive and well.

This reminds me of how as kids we would always compare our hauls after trick or treating.

Edited by roboPrancer, 21 October 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostBombast, on 21 October 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

It seems like an over abundance of Kodiaks (Which is already the case, half of the time) is more ideal then people just throwing their hands up and not bothering, or possibly an increase in zooming and booming. Just seems like making 15 matches necessary is more likely to make matches worse then people going a bit heavy.

View PostBandilly, on 21 October 2016 - 05:48 AM, said:

I don't think it should have been 15 matches. Make it 5 or so and increase the rewards in each bag. I can probably do the 15/day, and I'll see when I get there, but it is a lot of time and I know a lot of people that either can't or won't. A reasonable number of matches still gets people on every day, but doesn't try to keep them on 3+ hours.

News flash: You don't have to do all 15 of them. Play at your own pace. The 15 match limit is designed to reward players who are willing to grind it out by putting some extra time for it. Don't complain about it if you are not willing to spend time for it. Just get the rewards that are appropriate to the time you have spent on the event, and be happy. They are free.

I would probably do 4-5 matches per day at most, even if I have the entire day for free. I am not suffering from some kind of OCD.

Edited by El Bandito, 21 October 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#11 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 October 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

I am not suffering from some kind of OCD.

What kind of poor excuse for an anti-social nerd are you? If the opportunity to get 15 bags a day is there and requires 15 matches, then we are positively obligated to play 15 matches a day, else we're not doing it right.

#12 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:33 AM

OP - Agreed. Already suggested this in another thread.

Bandito - You are worried about people taking nothing but KDK-3s? Hate to tell you, but you are going to see nothing but bruiser mechs anyway. Here is how it's going to play out.

People will ready up 3-4 heavy alpha mechs (read anything that can take multiple UAC10s and lasers) and only enough ammo to last until they get about 250 damage. Drop, rush the enemy, pile on the damage and maybe even kill one mech (effectively getting 80 match score win or loss), disconnect, repeat. They will do that JUST so they can get the 15 grab bag items each day.

You know this is true. Going to mean a lot of crap games next week, even worse than what we are seeing now.

Now, if PGI started the event earlier, and/or let it last a bit longer (say Thursday the 4th), and also set the grab bags limit to 10 per day...maybe we won't see such behavior. Or, do what OP suggests. Which we know won't happen because we know that is out of their programming ability.

Edit: Just want to add that we know you won't do that, Bandito, and I probably will not either (unless I don't get the Zombie mech early, kinda want that). But, YOU KNOW enough will to make games worse.

Edited by KodiakGW, 21 October 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 21 October 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

OP - Agreed. Already suggested this in another thread.

Bandito - You are worried about people taking nothing but KDK-3s? Hate to tell you, but you are going to see nothing but bruiser mechs anyway. Here is how it's going to play out.

People will ready up 3-4 heavy alpha mechs (read anything that can take multiple UAC10s and lasers) and only enough ammo to last until they get about 250 damage. Drop, rush the enemy, pile on the damage and maybe even kill one mech (effectively getting 80 match score win or loss), disconnect, repeat. They will do that JUST so they can get the 15 grab bag items each day.

You know this is true. Going to mean a lot of crap games next week, even worse than what we are seeing now.

Now, if PGI started the event earlier, and/or let it last a bit longer (say Thursday the 4th), and also set the grab bags limit to 10 per day...maybe we won't see such behavior. Or, do what OP suggests. Which we know won't happen because we know that is out of their programming ability.

I do doubt what you stated is going to be the case. Sure, there will be suicidal farmers, but it won't be that rampant. Mostly they will be players who had been playing in such scumbag way from the beginning.

Either way, my KDK-3 is gonna have fun blowing up everyone. Even if I play only 4-5 matches per day.

#14 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

Checking out the prizes, I'm going for the MC dailies and luckily I've only needed 2 games/day so far to get the match score needed while leveling Adders. Whatever else I pick up in the process is cool, I appreciate that free stuff is free, but honestly, I'm not going out of my way for any of the other prizes this time around. 17 day events are too long, I have to take breaks from MWO or I'll completely burn out and quit for months on end again.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 October 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

I do doubt what you stated is going to be the case. Sure, there will be suicidal farmers, but it won't be that rampant. Mostly they will be players who had been playing in such scumbag way from the beginning.

Either way, my KDK-3 is gonna have fun blowing up everyone. Even if I play only 4-5 matches per day.

Posted Image

It seems a bit weird to criticize an idea because it may give an incentive to play heavy... while bragging about how you're going to be playing heavy throughout the entire event. Surely if you are going to be doing it regardless of the rules, most others will as well.

And your own arguments could easily be turned around.

'I do doubt what you stated is going to be the case. Sure, there will be an over abundance of assault mechs, but it won't be that rampant. Mostly they will be players who had been playing a disproportionate amount of Kodiaks/Assaults from the beginning.'

To clarify, I'm not saying my idea is objectively better then what we got - It was just something I thought of as I was reading the rules of the current event. I'm just finding most of the 'opposition' to it in this thread bizarre, from you complaining about how it will make other players play exactly like you do like it's a bad thing, to the insinuation that voicing a negative opinion is somehow an objectively bad thing and everyone should just shut up and deal without whatever comes.

Just weird all around.

Anyway... just one person so far willing to check the odds with me. Can't say I'm surprised. And everyone here is willing to agree to, it's a brutal event, whether you think it should be changed or not.

Also, another clarification, as I'm aware it wasn't 100% clear in the original post - My primary objection to the 15 match method isn't the 15 matches itself and the time involved, but that it gives people a good excuse to play badly.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Why not just buy all the Clan Hero mechs for the small sum of $140 and you get 100 grab bags for free?

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 October 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

Why not just buy all the Clan Hero mechs for the small sum of $140 and you get 100 grab bags for free?

Posted Image

#18 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

The wife and I kinda like opening our bags as we go each day or so... we can send you our stats if helpful but do we have to wait til the last day? I'm guessing it may mess with the odd/stats to spread the openings over time is your thought?

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostMorggo, on 21 October 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

The wife and I kinda like opening our bags as we go each day or so... we can send you our stats if helpful but do we have to wait til the last day? I'm guessing it may mess with the odd/stats to spread the openings over time is your thought?

As long as you screenshot them as you go, no. The 'all at once' bit isn't as important as getting enough grab bags logged to have a statistically relevant sample size, and screenshots to verify.

#20 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

Well I have a few freebie bags coming, I'll try to open them plus my day one bags together to get a decent idea of odds early.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users