Remove Kill Counters From Game, Or Include Kc In All Game Modes

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Kill Counters (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What should happens to the KC?

1. Remove all indications on K/D from ingame, not summary (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Do not change anything (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Add KC to every game mode (9 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

Now you’re perhaps thinking, yikes, removing kill counters, that is insane!!! Well, consider what I suggest before you make the vote.

The reason for this vote is another vote on the forums that is very limiting in its approach, not considering more options, just wanting to add kill counters to conquest / domination. So, I made this new vote turning things a upside down, with more options. Not to steal his thread, but do discuss the topic as a whole.

First I want to say that I do see the benefits of the KC, and I also see how it could be a good thing to have in all game modes. Assuming we want this game to be a kinder garden game.

The counter is nice because you know the number of active enemies on the battlefield. But think about it, why is this a good thing if we consider the actual gameplay and game experience?

Let’s say one team have two and one team have four mechs left. Today, the four mech team can usually just stomp the last two unless they go in with no armor or weapons what so ever, and no rules without exceptions, but this is what usually happens. And they can do this because they know the number of enemy mechs. In conquest they would know splitting up in twos should be fairly safe if the enemy are capping two locations, and so on.

In short, in MWO the numbers are important, but in reality the KC have one function, to tell the team on top to push even harder and stomp.

So, why not just remove them all together? That’s right, you should not have any indications on how many enemies the team have killed besides manual counts. Remove the K/D from TAB-screen, remove kills from chat.

This would open the need for better communications and scouting throughout the entire match, and give some uncertainty to the battlefield. After an intense fight, the remaining four mechs above would perhaps not be that cocky in their approach if they were not 100% certain they have double the number of active mechs. This could give the remaining two on the other team some better odds.

This uncertainty would translate into a more exciting gameplay and the need for better communications and teamwork. And yes, people should be forced to use teamwork in every little way possible.

Edited by Serpentbane, 20 October 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#2 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:58 AM

This makes perfect sense. There's no Way the enemy team would know the numbers. Good call

#3 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

View PostLone Wanderer, on 21 October 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

This makes perfect sense. There's no Way the enemy team would know the numbers. Good call

I never said no way, I said need to count and communicate, and that it would be difficult to be sure without good communication. Main reason for my suggestion is to force better communication within the team for everyone to have a good overview of the battlefield.

#4 norokelt

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:51 AM

I fully agree with the topic main post.

one way or another but as it is now it sucks.

Either there should be no Kill Counters which would enhance the communication between the players, where they would need to "pay attention" if they actually did killed an enemy or not, reading their kills display (I am honestly wondering how many players actually know about such display being present in their cockpit)...

Or there should be a Kill Counter in every match type...
Since I really see absolutely no sense having to bring up the TAB score summary where the Kills are to be found.
When I can see them on that screen, why should they not be shown automaticaly ...
I mean... HONESTLY >>> WTF??? O_o

I can vote only on one option so I chose one, but I would welcome any of those 2 options... NONE AT ALL or FOR ALL ALWAYS.

#5 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:37 AM

Honestly, Battletech and Mechwarrior have always been military themed simulations. It's about "Completing the mission". What PGI have done is set the game up so that it's an e-sport. It only rewards killing - not teamwork. If I brave an entire 12-man in a Locust, pop a UAV, and narc half the team before running back out, I'm not rewarded even half as much as the guy who just takes a meta build Kodiak 3 and easy-modes his way through the enemy team. It rewards selfish play, and penalises teamwork outside of "Carry harder". We used to see way more focus on scouts scouting for the LRM boats in the early days of closed beta. Now, "Scouts" don't even exist. We've got two flavors of lights: Short ranged strikers, and ECM-LL ravens that run off and abandon the team.

Strip emphasis on "Get kills", Boost emphasis on "Complete the objectives". That's what a MechWarrior game should always be about, whether or not it's been perverted by an e-sports seduced dev team.

Edited by ice trey, 23 October 2016 - 04:40 AM.

#6 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

View Postice trey, on 23 October 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

Honestly, Battletech and Mechwarrior have always been military themed simulations. It's about "Completing the mission". What PGI have done is set the game up so that it's an e-sport. It only rewards killing - not teamwork. If I brave an entire 12-man in a Locust, pop a UAV, and narc half the team before running back out, I'm not rewarded even half as much as the guy who just takes a meta build Kodiak 3 and easy-modes his way through the enemy team. It rewards selfish play, and penalises teamwork outside of "Carry harder". We used to see way more focus on scouts scouting for the LRM boats in the early days of closed beta. Now, "Scouts" don't even exist. We've got two flavors of lights: Short ranged strikers, and ECM-LL ravens that run off and abandon the team.

Strip emphasis on "Get kills", Boost emphasis on "Complete the objectives". That's what a MechWarrior game should always be about, whether or not it's been perverted by an e-sports seduced dev team.

Hear hear. I think mech roles need to be reintroduced to this game, but for some reason lights needs to be balanced out to become the assault killers instead. Way to often lights ends up as the mechs having most kills and damage, and way to often those are the same builds. The other lighs set up to do what they are supposed to is not revarded at all, as you wrote. So why shold people bother to move away from their light assault mechs?

All this is the reason I made the thread in my signature. MWO need to change from this arcade robot game pumping out new builds to the Thinking persons shooter PGI promised us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users