Restrict Company Command To 'mechs Mounting A Command Console

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Restrict Company Command To 'mechs Mounting A Command Console (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Restrict CC to mechs with CC?

1. Yay (11 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Nay (13 votes [54.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

As the title suggests.

Currently the command console is rather useless for it's tonnage. If we restricted Company Command to 'mechs mounting it two things are likely to happen:

1 - 'Mechs start mounting the command console
2 - Company Commanders would become more effective;
i - Mechs taking company command would put more effort into commanding
ii - Other players would start listening to commanders more knowing they're making a dedicated effort to co-ordinate their team.

Note: Lance command is still available to every 'mech.

Now to address a couple of concerns:

Clanners don't have a Command Console - This is true. There are two ways to address this, adding equipment (whether it be fixed to specific command' mechs (akin to the B-2000) or mountable like the IS version is down to the devs), or we can just quirk it. Personally I'm in favour of fixed equipment on specific 'mechs... Kodiak-II anybody?

I don't want to lose the tonnage to command - This is the choice you must make. Do you invest the tonnage in your personal fire-power or in the co-ordinated fire-power of your team-mates. Remember, commanders aren't the primary direct damage dealers.

Lights and Mediums can no longer take company command - This is also true. But lights and mediums aren't really designed as command 'mechs in the first place. That said there is nothing stopping you calling targets and taking lance command.

What if nobody/everybody takes it? - If nobody takes it, so be it, if everybody a takes it, the first to click company command gets it. Think of the Highlander.

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

Edit: i misunderstood this thread for something else

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 24 October 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#3 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 23 October 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

As the title suggests.

Currently the command console is rather useless for it's tonnage. If we restricted Company Command to 'mechs mounting it two things are likely to happen:

ii - Other players would start listening to commanders more knowing they're making a dedicated effort to co-ordinate their team.

Clanners don't have a Command Console - This is true. There are two ways to address this, adding equipment (whether it be fixed to specific command' mechs (akin to the B-2000) or mountable like the IS version is down to the devs), or we can just quirk it. Personally I'm in favour of fixed equipment on specific 'mechs... Kodiak-II anybody?

I don't want to lose the tonnage to command - This is the choice you must make. Do you invest the tonnage in your personal fire-power or in the co-ordinated fire-power of your team-mates. Remember, commanders aren't the primary direct damage dealers.

Lights and Mediums can no longer take company command - This is also true. But lights and mediums aren't really designed as command 'mechs in the first place. That said there is nothing stopping you calling targets and taking lance command.

What if nobody/everybody takes it? - If nobody takes it, so be it, if everybody a takes it, the first to click company command gets it. Think of the Highlander.

Ah Why? It does not add to EXP or C bills. At the moment it is an un used and un necessary and some times annoying option.

#4 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 23 October 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

As the title suggests.

I have to disagree with your logic. If we made it so you could only command with the console equipped, I think people would just choose to coordinate over VOIP / Teamspeak or use the basic command wheel (i.e "Target Spotted!"). I think if you really want to make the console viable then it should either A. have the tonnage reduced or B. have added functionality to bring it more in line with the clan targeting computers.

#5 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

so let's leave all clan mechs out of this huh?

#6 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

If being commander gave you options to reward players who listened and sanction players who dont, that would make it worthwhile. but being "commander" is not only useless, its annoying if anyone actually does try to give the ingame commands. we have VOIP now, get a microphone and start telling people what to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users