Another Pug Rant

55 replies to this topic

#1 Dueliest

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:31 AM

I'm not sure where this topic belongs so here we go.

Warning: If you are easily offended, this post is not for you.

I am trying to stay active in this game but PUGS are so intolerable! I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I blame certain types of people, certain age groups, specific times of day where the online experience of this game is night and day. People who know what I am talking about have written various PUG guides, ( I made sure to study before writing this) they share the theme "pugs are useless, don't rely on them, play the meta".

I have played countless matches. I can tell how most games will turnout within the first 30 seconds, no joke. I don't know, maybe it is a COD generation who all thinks they are super heroes, or maybe people just don't care. It begs the question: Does the pilot skill rating have any affect on match making? I liken solo que on any given evening to elo hell. This is where I watch my pilot rating yoyo day and night simply because theses matches spin wildly out of control.

I will break it down for the noobs:

Your don't get more kills by trying to get more kills.

Leaving a man behind means you might as well shoot them your self (hey almost sounds like a real battle! imagine that)

"Stick together" does not mean tripping over one another aimlessly following the fastest mech towards the least secure location possible, (blob-the-middle, choke-point, exposed low ground)

Its not that pugs wouldn't know strategy if it hit them in the face, but pride! So many kids with something to prove and no time to listen. Theses things I've talked about are not even on peoples radar, and they are just the tip of the iceberg! After playing with people on this game for oh, two years I can say that with some confidence. I will honor the outliers, not all rounds are bad, I do from time to time come out happy with a pug well played even if I did poorly.

I say this here because it too much to say mid game, lol, and frankly because it needs to be said. There is something wrong with the pug experience that drives me (possibly allot more) away from this game not towards it. You gotta ask your self, is it us, or the game?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

Not me. I live and breathe the puglife, and accept the good with the bad. I try to take the reins of the pugs as often as possible using VOIP, but I also understand that pugs gotta pug.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 October 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#3 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:18 AM

Potato tells other potatoes to stop being potato

#4 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:27 AM

Its a problem that is not exclusive to this game. Most games have a large percentage of people that never learn and are not interested in learning. They only want to play in their set way regardless of the consequences to everyone else. However I am rather suspicious of someone complaining about being left behind, that usually means they are in a 54 kph lrm boat assault that thinks that the rest of the team is their personal meatshield

#5 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 October 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

Not me. I live and breathe the puglife, and accept the good with the bad. I try to take the reins of the pugs as often as possible using VOIP, but I also understand that pugs gotta pug.

There is a certain satisfaction to be found within the chaos that is puglife. I embrace it and bask in the mayhem.

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:49 AM

There are two true certainties of life, and pug games are no exception.

Posted Image

Honestly, the only way I stay sane playing is by fully grabbing onto being a terrible person and RPing a Clan Diamond Shark sales representative, and if I am not performing a right of zellbrigen with someone, I am attempting to sell them something, all while in lore loadouts. It... is surprisingly fun, actually.

(For those of you that have met me recently in game, I have been distracted IRL recently and am low on new sales pitches, so that is why my matches have been mostly quiet)

#7 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:49 AM

i find saying things a certain way helps to break that kind of behavior.

like instead of saying "alpha lance, if you keep running off by yourselves, you're gonna be ez kills.",
instead say "it's been nice knowing you alpha lance."

instead of saying "can someone help me take out these lights poking our bumbums at the end of this ridiculous nascar?",
instead say "once these enemy lights take out our assaults, you mediums can go take them on 6v12 like heroes."

the demographic you're talking about kinda finds a perverse joy in doing what you tell them not to. so just make it sound as if you've already given up and resign them to their fate. they'll somehow do the opposite (which is exactly what you needed in the first place).

i also find saying funny stuff helps.

like, if your team is far to fanned out, say something stupid like "we're spread wider than kim kardashian's thighs." people will laugh and come together. or if your assaults are cowering behind a rock, say "assaults please be the tip of the spear, not the butt."

#8 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

Pug life is not so bad if you understand the following..

MWO is a game it is not real life and if it is affecting your real life to the point of needing medication you should seek professional help immediately!.....

Not saying for OP, just a generalized statement..

Also.... PUG ranting about hating PUGS... lol... thanks I needed a good laugh this morning :)

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:07 AM

View Postlegatoblues, on 24 October 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

There is a certain satisfaction to be found within the chaos that is puglife. I embrace it and bask in the mayhem.

Obligatory:

Posted Image

#10 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:08 AM

Is what it is. If you expect PGI to somehow wake up one morning with the ability to separate people by skill, you're going to be very, very disappointed.

Whatever convoluted thing they've come up with....is based on a population that PGI can only fantasize about.

#11 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:19 AM

This.

I love the solo queue for its chaos. Learn to harness it instead of fighting it, and you find success.

And everyone, remember, when you're in the solo queue, you're a PUG too. It's not you, surrounded by pugs.

#12 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:21 AM

People play for fun, not to win. Some people likes not playing the meta, some like to yolo alone in brawlers, and some gamble with theyr possitions for high dmg scores. And they gonna keep doing it no mather what you say about how the game should be played. So stop crying about it

Edited by radiv, 24 October 2016 - 03:21 AM.

#13 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:37 AM

With that "if you are easily offended", I expected something stupid (because most of the time, stupid people use it to substitute proper arguments), but I was rather positively surprised.

Yes, PUGs tend to be be uncoordinated. Obviously.

Maybe some of my observations can help you ease your mind ;)

There are a lot of different reasons for them being uncoordinated.
Like:
- Just trying something out and not caring much about the match outcome
- Being distracted (Gf, wife, kids, TV)
- Being rather young
- Not paying attention (I once almost "watched" myself just stomping forward to die because I was deep in thought...)
- Having other goals than winning (I admit it! I more less suicided yesterday to get that ONE huntsman down after my 5 match or so. Epic battle. 1vs5. And yes, he died. Didn't even check if we won or lost, though, sorry)

- And above all: even a simple game like MWO is too complex for a bunch of random people to act tactically wise without coordination. Everyone has a tactical idea on his own and most of them could actually work. But everyone has a different idea, so it's chaos pretty fast.

I used to rage in a similar way, but then I realized:

We base our rage on the assumption that the team is some military organization or a corp or team, that has a common goal and a duty to work for it.
This is not the case.
QuickPlay is more like a sandbox. You can come there and play. Nothing more. No strings attached, no obligations.

It's like said in the comic strip above: it is chaos.
If you don't want to play in a chaotic sandbox, you should not come to the sandbox of chaos.

That being said:
Pugs CAN play coordinated if someone coordinates them.
I coordinated Pug drops in FW to beat premades (sometimes, not most of the time).
It can work and it is not that hard.
It's not "leading" like being that super respected leader.
It's giving short, sound tactical advice. Like "don't split up to cap or we lose the fight" or "wait for assaults. no one wins 8vs12".
Without spite, without insult, without arrogance.
BEFORE the actual fighting. Not during and not afterwards.
Then (most) people will listen and will play together.

#14 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:02 AM

Ahhh another one of these threads, as old as internet gaming.

99% 100% of the time from a sour grape OP that either has unrealistic expectations on how the game should be played and/or misguided opinion of his own value and skill. In this case I'm curious how the OP's scores do stack up against his horribly unorganized and unskilled pug team mates.

There is something wrong with the pug experience that drives me (possibly allot more) away from this game not towards it. You gotta ask your self, is it us, or the game?

Its probably you. But luckily you have some solutions available. 1) form a group, for what its worth there is a lfg tool. or even better 2) join a unit that will rescue you from the pug experience.

#15 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:25 AM

Kind of tough not to potato when more than half your team potato's.

It happens. On to the next match.

#16 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

If you can't survive pug life then you definitely won't survive group drops.

#17 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

Tier rank conspicuously absent...

#18 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

View PostDueliest, on 24 October 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

You gotta ask your self, is it us, or the game?

It's us. Because this is the experience of every single F2P, and possibly every multiplayer, game, ever. WoT, WarThunder, LoL... All of them.

#19 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

I can attest to this. El Bandito sounds funny on comm.

#20 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 24 October 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

I can attest to this. El Bandito sounds funny on comm.

And to top it off, he has good advice .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users