8 replies to this topic

#1 SunTzu

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hello,

Considering matchmaker uses weights as one factor to balance can't you shuffle the process around slightly? You're the systems man so please take a sec to read this. Can't we just be locked into a match based on selected mech weight, with 10 or so seconds after map chosen to pick a different mech of exact same weight? The more diversity in builds and maps lends to a more 'middle road' approach to what works and what doesn't. Force composition is sometimes just terrible because of luck of the draw.

"I may be in my Hunch IIC-A with LPL, but as it's Terra and I haven't played my dakka hunch today, I'd like to have been in that or maybe my 4sp instead." <- Thought train.

This is a Mil Sim afterall, which military commander doesn't look at the theater they are operating in prior to deploying troops?

"Oh it's the rainforest, that's okay the arctic jackets will protect against the nasty wasps, don't worry about heat strokes or the fact that you're bright white."

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

Going to play devils advocate here.

Gameplay: this would lead to less diversity, not more. Dakka builds on hot maps, LRMs on open maps, laser on cold maps. Locked mechs prior to lnowing maps is the reason we see a variety of playstyles on every map. Give us chance to change mech after knowing a map, and majority will pick a playstyle best suited for the map.

"Realism": BT lore has space travel take a extended amount of time. By the time a force arrives at a planet, the front lines could have shifted from the desert of a planet to the cold tundra. So, a force prepping to leave can not know for sure what terrain it will fight on.

#3 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

I'm not really looking for diversity. I'm looking for good fit for planetary situation. A lance of laserboats on Terra Therma would be like an NFL team facing an opponent that defends well against the pass but not against the run, and choosing to pass. That would be a bad choice, and they would deserve the defeat they get. Matching chassis to environment should be part of the game.

#4 SunTzu

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

I get what you're saying Dracol, but that's to some degree how CW already is so the concept is not outrageous. I bring different mechs on Boreal than I do on Sulfurous. Theoretically Battletech was somewhat fleshed out without some very real tactical aspects being considered, and some things that made big differences in that 'world' aren't in MWO. Instead it's a FPS reiteration, so visual contact matters which is why hardpoint placement plays such a huge role too. I mean sure for TT it sounds great having your unit look flashy with it's bright red paint but that's like Soviet tanks being painted bright red with golden sickles on them during WWII instead of camo patterns appropriate for the theater they're fighting in. I'm not military but I'm assuming fluid mixtures for planes in the arctic aren't exactly the same as planes operating in a desert, stuff like that. I get that TT and lore kind of threw some those things out of the window, but I feel it's unrealistic to assume a commander wouldn't have his crews try to fit out mechs slightly better suited for where they're about to drop or the mission. Quick hit and run on a super hot planet might not need the extra ammo but the heatsinks would be amazing.

#5 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Could be neat. Sign up as a heavy or assault or light or medium, but don't pick mech until in the drop que.
Shame the suggestions form is a giant idea graveyard.

#6 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

Y'all addressed the lore aspect... but what about the gameplay aspect?

Do you really only want to see dakka builds on hot maps, brawlers on mining, LRMs on polar, lasers on cold maps?

Right now, there is an interesting mix in the solo queue due to not knowing what map you'll be on. Sometimes a pilot is challenged if they specialized and the wrong map comes up. Other times they have the advantage. Less specific builds benifit from by not being has hindered.

Give everyone the option to pick mechs specific to a map, like CW allows if one is quick enough, and each game will start playing out the same, even more so then what we have now.

#7 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

**** lore. I just want to not be locked into a **** mech for a **** map.

#8 JadeWolf01

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

How about being able to assign paint jobs by map. A function of the camo section that allows a player to select each map and then customize the camo pattern.

#9 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Was thinking about this last night.
What none of these suggestions account for is people gaming or abusing the system to get an advantage.

What about instead of by weight class, choose instead by variant of your chassis?
Dropdown selection in your chassis field in the Ready screen.
Join match with a TBR. Don't have any other TBRs? too bad.

This way it won't throw off the matchmaker by weight (front loading a baby assault mech and then changing it to a kodiak)
Also encourages players to get and master variants of mechs.

That said, I'm not really on one side or the other. I just think the suggestion could be fixed up a bit.

Edited by ScottAleric, 26 October 2016 - 11:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users