Ravens

19 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

So I bought the raven mastery pack (ecm one, huggin & 4x).

Maybe it was predictable, but the ecm one rocks, straight out of the box. The others though...

I built the huggin with 2 srm6. I forked out to upgrade to Artemis which seemed to help. I found it fun but really wasn't doing much damage. Flimsy little mech.
I also tried to build an a 5 version. I had grand ideas of hiding at 600m and the enemy mech not being able to find where I'm shooting from. Turns out this is pretty hard without ecm. And the one raven with ecm, has no ballistic hard point.
I'm wondering, will the module "radar deprivation" help? How similar is it to ecm? And is there any advice anyone can offer re: being sneakier with non-ecm ravens.
The 4x seems better than the huggin. Weird, why is it called a "hero"? Is there something I'm missing aside from the 30% bonus? Would srm4s and machine guns actually make it better?

Having said that, I didn't play the 4x much, as I need the c-bills to upgrade structure and engine. But thinking that large lasers, or pulse lasers will work well with the laser duration quirk.

#2 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:51 PM

The Huggin is all about the SRM4. It's inherent quirks plus any modules will throw out a ton of rockets fast. Backed up with 4 mgs you can open any can fast and shred it. The key, more than any other light I have found is patience. You are a heavy/assault murderer. Try fighting light and you are dead. Wait until battle is engaged, check targets, especially for open internals, then sweep in and unleash a ton of Jordans de at close range. Artemis isn't needed with srm4s. Set them to chain and I have caused heavies to back off from the flow of srms to the face.

The 3L is all about ERLL. Provide ECM cover for your team and help by picking away at those not paying attention.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostKen Harkin, on 25 October 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

The Huggin is all about the SRM4. It's inherent quirks plus any modules will throw out a ton of rockets fast. Backed up with 4 mgs you can open any can fast and shred it. The key, more than any other light I have found is patience. You are a heavy/assault murderer. Try fighting light and you are dead. Wait until battle is engaged, check targets, especially for open internals, then sweep in and unleash a ton of Jordans de at close range. Artemis isn't needed with srm4s. Set them to chain and I have caused heavies to back off from the flow of srms to the face.

The 3L is all about ERLL. Provide ECM cover for your team and help by picking away at those not paying attention.

Since the quirk change, 20 of the 25% cool down applies to any missiles so ASRM6s are probably the better choice now. Though, to be blunt, it's just not much good any more.

#4 Recon Strike

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBNC-3E cockpit

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

I sadly have to agree :(

Which sucks... because I loved my Huginn before the quirk change more than I like my Oxide now...

3L and 4X are still quite viable though. Just don't make the mistake to cross swords with an Arctic Cheeta...

#5 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

So, a week or so in, and I love my ravens!

Huggin is not so bad. It's really fun to play, certainly not the damage potential of the 3Lmwhich is easily the best of the bunch. But huggin pulls its weight in a swarm of lights, and finishes well. I've also had fun with it running a uac5 and kinda sniping.

But it does feel like a bit of a sick joke that the raven comes with an xl 280, and the max engine size of the 4x is 275. So I'm running the 4x with an xl220 and hat I had for my blackjacks. The speed makes a huge difference, and I think the 4x would be better faster. After experimenting, it goes alright with 2 large pulse lasers, supporting larger mechs. No-one seems to notice the little raven in a brawl, and I can target components and help out. Thing is, when I'm in trouble, 100kph seems too slow to get out!
So weighing up buying a bigger engine... I figure it could be a better version of huggin with the laser hardpoints....

I am seeking suggestions on builds, and advice on what engine to buy?

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 01 November 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

I am seeking suggestions on builds, and advice on what engine to buy?

The best build on the 4X uses a 255.

The best build on the 3L uses a 285, but no reason you can't use that 280 you have.

You can use that 280 on the Huginn, too.

#7 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostTercieI, on 01 November 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

The best build on the 4X uses a 255.

The best build on the 3L uses a 285, but no reason you can't use that 280 you have.

You can use that 280 on the Huginn, too.

I also really like the 4X as an ER Sniper. The duration means you can poke and fade faster, and while you don't have ECM, if you have a Radar Derp you should be able to have some fun with it and not have to worry too much about LRMs, etc. At ERLL ranges you can also start working on calling things at a comfortable distance, if you have trouble using coms and brawling.

It also helps when people don't expect ravens from so high up to poke at extreme ranges.

Feel free to tweak between "enough" speed and JJ's, and other options like BAP, etc...

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostBlind Baku, on 08 November 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

I also really like the 4X as an ER Sniper. The duration means you can poke and fade faster, and while you don't have ECM, if you have a Radar Derp you should be able to have some fun with it and not have to worry too much about LRMs, etc. At ERLL ranges you can also start working on calling things at a comfortable distance, if you have trouble using coms and brawling.

It also helps when people don't expect ravens from so high up to poke at extreme ranges.

Feel free to tweak between "enough" speed and JJ's, and other options like BAP, etc...

The 4X works for ERLLs, too, for sure. I have one built each way. But since it lost its incredible range quirk, it's not the standout it was vs the 3L.

#9 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

3L is also good with NARC, it has very good quirks.

#10 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

View Postinvernomuto, on 08 November 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

3L is also good with NARC, it has very good quirks.

Oh man, I dropped in a match where a guy named NARCBAIT was on the red team... in his 3L. I don't know narcbait personally, but holy MVP, that dude can snapshot narc with precision! That one mech collapsed my team into a gibbering mess of "Ermagerd! Sermberdy git the RVN!" It was a mess.

Never under estimate the power of well place narc spam.

#11 Arkama

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Kind of an older post, but it's still on the front page...
No mention of the 2X?
I run mine with an XL 250 and three Large Lasers and it does work.

#12 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

The Huginn is actually pretty fun again! Since the Machine Gun ROF buff, I switched back to ASRM4s and put 4x MGs on it. You will probably run out of ammo for everything by the end of the match, but it's pretty tanky for a RVN and a great harrasser now. You want to engage after a little trading has occurred, so hopefully they have an open section or two, and if you can hit your shots, you will be pretty deadly! It also has JJs, so your movement options aren't as limited as the 3L.

#13 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Try the 2X with XL255 and 2 PPCs (not ERPPCs). You'd be surprised at what you can get out of them with a little bit of work on your aim. With the lower heat of the standard PPCs and the heat reduction of the 2X, you can actually pull off a LOT of damage before having to back off and cool down.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 05 February 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#14 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

I'm just gonna leave this here.

All hail BoomBird. It never, ever gets old.

#15 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostArkama, on 20 January 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Kind of an older post, but it's still on the front page...
No mention of the 2X?
I run mine with an XL 250 and three Large Lasers and it does work.

2LL+2ML+3DHS.
3LL are too hot.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

View PostKuaron, on 07 February 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

2LL+2ML+3DHS.
3LL are too hot.

No, not really. It's an alpha build anyway, not a DPS build. You want each shot to happen, count and let you move. 3LL is very manageable and quite decent. On a cold map, even 3ERLL is fine (have used in comp). 2&2 is ok but the mediums aren't adding anything at the range you should be playing at, so you're just a weak 3L a lot of the time.

#17 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Idk, maybe I was a potato back then and failed at sustaining my distance, but when I was trying the builds, the 2+2 one worked very much better.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostKuaron, on 07 February 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Idk, maybe I was a potato back then and failed at sustaining my distance, but when I was trying the builds, the 2+2 one worked very much better.

I had very much the opposite result. The 2&2 just wasn't good at anything, being only ok at a couple things. I don't hate it, but think the 3(ER)LL is generally a much better build.

#19 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

I have to correct something:
My 2+2 build had max engine, not 3 DHS.
I tried 3LL now one more time and at least it worked quite well in this one match. I'd have to compare one more time, I guess.

#20 A_Velociraptor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

I have my 4X built with 2 MPL and an SRM 6, it used ot have MG's but i liked the idea of upgrading to a 6 and adding more ammo. The build is almost heat neutral on the neutral heat maps and on cold maps there is no risk of overheating. While not the highest damage build alpha wise you can very easily outlast nearly every other light mech build out there. The Duration quirks also mean the MPL's fire super fast and deal damage super fast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users