#21 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

Seems like a best time to use this gif....

#22 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:50 AM

Reply to OP's post:
1. Yes!! Additional modes would be welcome. For example a 'campaign mode' that is a remake of MW2 & Mercs where we players take the place of "a.'i'" mechs. Everyone has to play as a.i. in 10 games to unlock another mission in their own campaign (with some reasonable minimum score to ensure proper participation).

2. I honestly think they're fine the way they are. Reminiscent of both what I read in the BattleTech novels as well as (somewhat) MW2, which is still a great MW game.

3. I guess size/hardpoint restriction could apply to light mechs but can't see how it would ever apply to larger ones. Don't exactly find that fair though.
ED doesn't bug me. Just manage heat.

4. I run max graphics and get a steady 60 frames/second. I guess it's cause the graphics were 'downgraded?' Better graphics are always nice in my opinion. Not *top* priority, but a nice extra for sure.

View PostRestosIII, on 26 October 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

8 vs 8. God I miss that. I also wish River City's buildings didn't pop in and out as I turn my mech. It's disgusting.

8v8 optional PUG would be nice though I don't mind 12v12 at all.

I've never had that problem with building pop-in. Is it your computer settings (or computer)?

#23 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 October 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

agree with the general pgi bashing. but the op is just using the tried and true forumula: "this game sucks/is dieing/is on shakey footing" followed by "heres the stuff i want, implement it and the game will be saved!" no ones itemized list will save the game.

he does hit on one point though. the fastest/easiest way is not always the best way. they have proven time and time again that they just dont want to do the work. they are using what little talent they do have, the art department, to keep the game funded with mechpacks so they can all live out their fantasy of being game developers. what they dont seem to understand is that with slightly more effort and the right kind of people that fantasy can become a reality. instead of cut'n'paste shovelware they could make this game worthy of its title. instead of taking it as an insult, pgi should take it as a challenge to do better.

I like procedural maps as an excellent example of looking for an easy way that instead becomes the hard way, rather than just getting the job done. The result being the easiest way, is in fact the best way. Its a balance thing. Easiest way to judge this is if failure is an option or not. :) To some it is and others it is not. Again a balance thing.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 October 2016 - 06:29 AM.

#24 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 26 October 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

You know they had to dial it back due to people with potato computers.

That's nonsense
It's not a console game

What are they having those settings very low to very high for?
They just seem not to be able to optimize
Hell after the beautification of crimson I'm getting some microstutters even in testing grounds
All other maps are fine, testing grounds or live

#25 Ajantise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

The worst thing is the result of all the things that don´t work combined.
Average random battle looks like this...
Phase 1. Everybody is running NASCAR to find players that are to slow or don´t stick to lemming train. They die in 2 seconds
Phase 2. Contact is made between two Lemming trains. Everybody is hidden and pushing behind rocks and buildings like penguins in a snow storm.
Phase 3. Sniping and jumping with super alpha over heat weapons. Everybody is hidden. That goes for 2/3 of the game.
Here and there someone is bored and makes suicide attack, and is promptly killed in 2 seconds.
Phase 4. One team is leading and feels confident it will win by numbers. Attack is made, and lasts 30 seconds and all is over.
Phase 5. Hunting the last one of the losing team that wanted to flank but got separated by 50 meters and could not be there in those 30 seconds of the only Battle there was in the game.

So its 9/10 of the game in a average random battle is waiting and boredom, and 30 seconds of sex! Not enough for a good relationship i say ;-)

#26 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Yeah games Is pretty much meh right now.

Tier 1 is still 50% tier 6 and 50% exclusive meta farmers.

Armies of KDK-3s still relegate half my garage to cannon fodder status.

The points system promotes poor team work.

Half the maps promote the omnipresent nascar habit.

I remind you that clan ACs and LBX is still a thing.

all nonsensical quirks

the games general performance has only gotten worse over time

The monthly mech-pack drip feed with a price point comparable to a complete game is literally all there is to look forward to.

If people are annoyed, its not over nothing.

#27 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostAjantise, on 27 October 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

The worst thing is the result of all the things that don´t work combined.
Average random battle looks like this...
Phase 1. Everybody is running NASCAR to find players that are to slow or don´t stick to lemming train. They die in 2 seconds
Phase 2. Contact is made between two Lemming trains. Everybody is hidden and pushing behind rocks and buildings like penguins in a snow storm.
Phase 3. Sniping and jumping with super alpha over heat weapons. Everybody is hidden. That goes for 2/3 of the game.
Here and there someone is bored and makes suicide attack, and is promptly killed in 2 seconds.
Phase 4. One team is leading and feels confident it will win by numbers. Attack is made, and lasts 30 seconds and all is over.
Phase 5. Hunting the last one of the losing team that wanted to flank but got separated by 50 meters and could not be there in those 30 seconds of the only Battle there was in the game.

So its 9/10 of the game in a average random battle is waiting and boredom, and 30 seconds of sex! Not enough for a good relationship i say ;-)

This is accurate.

Plus the players that only run their mastered OP mechs telling people in CTFs and basic level DWFs to get good after they probably got mowed down in the first lap.

#28 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 27 October 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

That's nonsense
It's not a console game

What are they having those settings very low to very high for?
They just seem not to be able to optimize
Hell after the beautification of crimson I'm getting some microstutters even in testing grounds
All other maps are fine, testing grounds or live

As far as I can tell the biggest issue is they cannot optimize properly while maintaining DX9 support. I am not a code guru so that's just my general understanding. You either drop the support for old tech or straddle the two without getting 100% out of the new tech. Personally the game looks awesome for me, but that is mostly because I went to 4k and that brute forced up the graphics.

Overall I get the complaints and would like to see improvements but PGI is who they are. They aren't about to change pace because they aren't about to attract and hire super Amadeus programmers. They will continue their slow iterative process which has made progress if at a snails pace and a shoestring budget.

Stopping the sale of mech packs isn't going to solve anything. Unless of course you are advocating a mega kickstarter-esque crowd funding effort to attract and hire the talent and the risk of refocusing.

#29 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostLone Wanderer, on 27 October 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

8v8 optional PUG would be nice though I don't mind 12v12 at all.

I've never had that problem with building pop-in. Is it your computer settings (or computer)?

I run everything on medium-high settings, and I've done it with 2 different computers, both of which had buildings disappearing and suddenly reappearing if I turn my mech quickly. I have a feeling it was a way to get around the "large" amount of buildings on the map and had them stop visually loading if you don't have LoS, but River City still chugs for me and, due to the buildings popping in and out, is one of the ugliest maps I've ever played on in a video game.

#30 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

MWO is indeed in a trap.

They are hung up on the "We need to sell another mech pack to bring in money!" schtick. Apparently they don't have much resources left after making the next mech pack to actually work on improving the game.

All your other points are at best debatable, and mostly just not what the game actually needs.

#31 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

PGI adds bling and chrome, meanwhile there is an oil leak. The breaks need service, the tire tread is marginal.

#32 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 27 October 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

I run everything on medium-high settings, and I've done it with 2 different computers, both of which had buildings disappearing and suddenly reappearing if I turn my mech quickly. I have a feeling it was a way to get around the "large" amount of buildings on the map and had them stop visually loading if you don't have LoS, but River City still chugs for me and, due to the buildings popping in and out, is one of the ugliest maps I've ever played on in a video game.

It appears your computer is in need of an upgrade. I have read in these forums that turning some of the settings to medium or low makes it so some objects (i.e. buildings and other geometry based environment objects) are not drawn.
It was in a forum post here about people who would quickly change the settings based upon the map so they could see far away opponents through objects for 'info warfare' purposes. I prefer good SFX over 'info warfare' though.

Anyhow...I hope you can get an upgrade sooner or later!

#33 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostLone Wanderer, on 27 October 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

It appears your computer is in need of an upgrade. I have read in these forums that turning some of the settings to medium or low makes it so some objects (i.e. buildings and other geometry based environment objects) are not drawn.
It was in a forum post here about people who would quickly change the settings based upon the map so they could see far away opponents through objects for 'info warfare' purposes. I prefer good SFX over 'info warfare' though.

Anyhow...I hope you can get an upgrade sooner or later!

It's not my computer. Trust me. If you had actually read what I said, it is something that I have seen happen on multiple different rigs that run modern games on high settings with locked 60 FPS. And there's a difference between the settings for your maximum draw distance and buildings 5 feet away disappearing when you turn your mech. If someone were to tell me how to get shadowplay to work for once, I'd upload a video of it next time I am forced to go there.

TL;DR: PGI, fix your game.

#34 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 27 October 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

It's not my computer. Trust me. If you had actually read what I said, it is something that I have seen happen on multiple different rigs that run modern games on high settings with locked 60 FPS. And there's a difference between the settings for your maximum draw distance and buildings 5 feet away disappearing when you turn your mech. If someone were to tell me how to get shadowplay to work for once, I'd upload a video of it next time I am forced to go there.

TL;DR: PGI, fix your game.

Are you running an AMD GPU or Nvidia?

I have not noticed that issue on my GeForce system but to be honest I haven't run MWO on my AMD rig for about two years.
I'm just wondering if it's an AMD issue?

Edited: some of Siri is stupid typos

Edited by Lone Wanderer, 27 October 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#35 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

well energy draw is just a name for revised heat system

but a true energy draw system based on not heat but be energy produced and or expended by the reactor could work

revised hard point system could work

almost every weapons platform (in real life) had a hard point system from the war ships of the 1700's to the Mig 29

both of the recommendations could be made to work (a lot of work)

the real problem is the constant complaining so if you took 4 years to develop a new system after a year you would
have the same amount of complaints as you have now

and I bet it would be the same people crying

#36 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 27 October 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

well energy draw is just a name for revised heat system

but a true energy draw system based on not heat but be energy produced and or expended by the reactor could work

revised hard point system could work

almost every weapons platform (in real life) had a hard point system from the war ships of the 1700's to the Mig 29

both of the recommendations could be made to work (a lot of work)

the real problem is the constant complaining so if you took 4 years to develop a new system after a year you would
have the same amount of complaints as you have now

and I bet it would be the same people crying

Right. The same players crying about circling combat/nascar are the same complaining about the faction play maps that prohibit it. Wont get a straight response or opinion from some whos only goal is to trash the game.

Some who are complaining about performance or optimization, again are not being legit, I have used 3 computers, from a really bad computer to a really good computer and the game has always performed very well.

The entire game is very well done and the only problems are missing features and content. Game play is excellent.

So there are legit complaints. But rarely is anyone actually mentioning those. Although some do.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 October 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#37 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostLone Wanderer, on 27 October 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Are you running an AMD GPU or Nvidia?

I have not noticed that issue on my GeForce system but to be honest I haven't run MWO on my AMD rig for about two years.
I'm just wondering if it's an AMD issue?

Edited: some of Siri is stupid typos

Running a GTX 760 on my current rig. I've checked running at minimum settings before, same issue. And before you ask, IIRC (can't check, on my phone ATM) I'm running a FX-8300 CPU. This idiocy on River City has been around for a long time, and until PGI can learn how to optimize their game, I have no hopes for it being fixed.

#38 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 27 October 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Running a GTX 760 on my current rig. I've checked running at minimum settings before, same issue. And before you ask, IIRC (can't check, on my phone ATM) I'm running a FX-8300 CPU. This idiocy on River City has been around for a long time, and until PGI can learn how to optimize their game, I have no hopes for it being fixed.

Have you experimented by setting objects and/or environment to high?
I always have those at high or ultra on my 980M and i dont have that pop in.

#39 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 27 October 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

Have you experimented by setting objects and/or environment to high?
I always have those at high or ultra on my 980M and i dont have that pop in.

Yes, IIRC I am running on high right now. I just know that I've had to deal with buildings suddenly appearing in the corner of my eye for a long time now, and it makes the map really painful to play on.

#40 Ajantise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 October 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

Right. The same players crying about circling combat/nascar are the same complaining about the faction play maps that prohibit it. Wont get a straight response or opinion from some whos only goal is to trash the game.

Some who are complaining about performance or optimization, again are not being legit, I have used 3 computers, from a really bad computer to a really good computer and the game has always performed very well.

The entire game is very well done and the only problems are missing features and content. Game play is excellent.

So there are legit complaints. But rarely is anyone actually mentioning those. Although some do.

I think i was quite clear that i think random battles are 9/10 boring hiding (look at my post 25). I have i7 and gtx970 and there are performance drops in combat, and on big maps because of bad LOD. I dont have those drops in Witcher 3 or WOT or Total war games....
The game has many problems and they cant be solved with tweaks. There has to be hard work. There has to be risks taken.
Bottom line is that Gameplay is now bad and boring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users