Why Is Hpg So Popular?

72 replies to this topic

#1 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

Okay, I have a problem at the moment and it is the popularity of a certain map. HPG manifold is taking over the game and, in my opinion, it is not a good thing.
Now, I understand that people like this map. I like it too, and I do find it enjoyable to play on a few times every now and again. But after two days where an average of 8 to 9 out of 10 games I have had have been on this map it is only understandable to expect that I am getting a little tired of it.
I say a little, but some people will forever know me as the Korean dog eating player.

What I want to know is: why does this map appeal to so many players? It has quite a bland playstyle and it ends up being quite boring to play on, especially after the hundredth round of "push the top deck, brawl in the basement and flank on the slope". It gets boring quite fast and I have reached the point where I just play stupid and suicide early on to get out of this match.

As a side note, I am also losing hope of completing the Terra Therma challenge done as almost every time it comes up almost everyone selects HPG "boring COD-esque playstyle" Manifold.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Because they can see what they are shooting at from across the map.

#3 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 27 October 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Because they can see what they are shooting at from across the map.

I.e... Minimal effort / easy mode. Posted Image

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

It's a small map that can be abused by brawlers and snipers. It's one of the maps where you can ignore objectives 99% of the time in favor of mindlessly bashing against each other, and it's easy to play Ring Around the Rosie on.

Also, I think the MWO community has a fetish for mono-color maps.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

One of the non-shite maps, a list which unfortunately is getting smaller

#6 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for asking the question, OP.
I, too, have wondered the same thing for ages.

On a related tangent... I'd post the same question about Canyon. Seems it's either HPG or Canyon a high majority of the time (canyon seems to beat out hpg when both are up).

Anyhow, back to the OP... the previous answers I see the technical logic and guess it makes sense to me. But then the followup question to me becomes "WHY do you want a repetitive, lower challenge match, drop after drop and not mix things up with some alternate styles?" (this assumes the previous answers above hold true). Never understand why people are so opposed to using some tactics and strategy you can deploy on larger maps, instead it's all about how you can have the shortest match.

#shrug

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

Well, you can do overwatch on the walls or the catwalks and suppress players into that bottom hole made for some movement and the occasional brawling.

The game tends to be over once people hide out in the basement.

Vision is pretty good on the map, but I guess that'll change when it gets "touched up" by PGI.

#8 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 October 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Vision is pretty good on the map, but I guess that'll change when it gets "touched up" by PGI.

One can only hope! :)

#9 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

It is the last remaining map to avoid a "remake/update" from pgi. It's fairly small but allows all three types of game play for the snipers-on-the-wall, the lrm boat walking along the "ring" around the center, and the brawlers can go fight on the ramps,on the upper platform or they can brawl in basement.

As soon as pgi does anything to this map expect it to do the way of the dodo to the land of hated and unseen maps.

#10 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

A change to that map would be an utter relief.

I still want to know what is wrong with the other maps, and why people seem to shy away from diverse playstyles and challenges. HPG is boring and almost always plays out the same way, and yet almost everyone seems to rush towards it. I just got yet another HPG match, and I couldnt take it. I suicided my Jenner and quo the game for the night. 26 games played today out of which two where not HPG. It is sickening.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostMorggo, on 27 October 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

On a related tangent... I'd post the same question about Canyon. Seems it's either HPG or Canyon a high majority of the time (canyon seems to beat out hpg when both are up).

Canyon is pretty good. It has trench movement reasonable enough for brawlers with a sniping overwatch given any higher level terrain and no visual BS like fog.

The problem is that it is kinda limited on C2/D2/Kappa side of things and the map is a bit small to a degree (which I honestly hope they don't make it Frozen City 2.0).

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

I appreciate the aesthetic value of the newer maps, I really do. That said, I like being able to see what I am doing.
Call it easy mode or what have you, but I like seeing the mechs I am aiming at. Seeing fuzzy blobs with heat vison or night vision...and only if they are a few hundred meters away...sucks. I like HPG, for the same reason I like mining. I CAN SEE.

Edit: Canyon too.

Edited by Bud Crue, 27 October 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#13 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 27 October 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I still want to know what is wrong with the other maps, and why people seem to shy away from diverse playstyles and challenges. HPG is boring and almost always plays out the same way, and yet almost everyone seems to rush towards it. I just got yet another HPG match, and I couldnt take it. I suicided my Jenner and quo the game for the night. 26 games played today out of which two where not HPG. It is sickening.

To clarify my thoughts
1. I agree totally with you it gets picked waaayyyy to often.
2. I share your puzzlement why people shy away from the other maps, most of which I am in a minority that believe they got better after remakes.
3. I must disagree with your tendency to do a quick suicide. Sure, the map is hard to take that 20th time, but ya still gotta play the match and do your best to help the other 11 folks in my opinion.

Otherwise, right there with ya.

#14 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

But...It's in space!

sort of.

Still a fav map for me, and the sound effects make a nice change. It's also one of the least demanding of hardware so you can expect a better FPS. Guns run cooler too.

I would absolutely adore a new map of the HPG moonscape, the size of Polar Highlands. It cant be that hard to do, what with no atmosphere effects and that.

BTW, that's a new map PGI, not a 'new' HPG.

#15 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

Arena map for the arena shooter game. Small and simple. Not surprised it's popular.

I never disliked it, but like old Frozen City, I'm growing incredibly tired of playing it.

I'd also love a second (but much larger) map based on the basic art assets of that map and a zero-atmosphere feel. The vibe on that map is really cool.

Edited by jss78, 27 October 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostThe Lobsters, on 27 October 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

But...It's in space!

sort of.

Still a fav map for me, and the sound effects make a nice change. It's also one of the least demanding of hardware so you can expect a better FPS. Guns run cooler too.

I would absolutely adore a new map of the HPG moonscape, the size of Polar Highlands. It cant be that hard to do, what with no atmosphere effects and that.

BTW, that's a new map PGI, not a 'new' HPG.

I forgot about the sound. I love the way clan lasers have that crackle burn sound. PPCs sound sweet too. The top and bottom both provide LRM cover. Lots of places to hide all over. Walls are sniper heaven. The outside (conquest and assault) a light can be a nightmare. Bottom is also brawler paradise, and the central structure's tiers make a jump capable mech worthwhile. More I think about it, HPG has everything for everybody and every style of play.

Ask not (in an exasperated tone) why people like HPG, rather ask why we don't have more maps like HPG.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

View Postjss78, on 27 October 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I'd also love a second (but much larger) game based on the basic art assets of that map and a zero-atmosphere feel. The vibe on that map is really cool.

Idea: A map on a small moon. Very, VERY low gravity, no atmosphere. Which translates to:

- Reduced heat loss (No gas to shed heat into)
- Increased efficiency of jump jets (Can jump higher)
- Max speed is increased, but going over engine rated max speed damages legs

Based in small parts off of my memory of Aiden Pryde's bloodname trials.

#18 Cox Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationTryhard dimension

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Nascar friendly, obviously. :)

#19 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

View Postjss78, on 27 October 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

Arena map for the arena shooter game. Small and simple. Not surprised it's popular.

I never disliked it, but like old Frozen City, I'm growing incredibly tired of playing it.

I'd also love a second (but much larger) game based on the basic art assets of that map and a zero-atmosphere feel. The vibe on that map is really cool.

Take Polar and imagine the surrounding mountains as the top of a massive crater rim, with loads of wee and not so wee craters within. Chuck in a central peak/meteor remains, a bit of moon mining infrastructure, small spaceport, a few rocks, pretty stars, a gas giant or the lights of an inhabited planet for a skybox.

#spunkpants

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 27 October 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

One of the non-shite maps, a list which unfortunately is getting smaller

I think you meant "one of the special snowflake maps for my special snowflake 'Mech using a special snowflake loadout". Posted Image

View PostBlood Rose, on 27 October 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

See above.

Edited by Mystere, 27 October 2016 - 10:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users