For Qp, 2 Variant Drop Decks

21 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

So i was thinking about this, as i load up on to a map, and think about oh why didn't i click X mech instead of this. (leveling 2 different mechs and both are the only two mechs listed under heavy in my favs) I almost clicked the one that would of been better, but i changed my mind at the last second, because it needs more XP. Curses me!

So What about having 2 slots in QP, that you can put 2 different load outs of a mech. I'd say the only stipulation is they are different variants. This would also give reason in having more than one use-able variant right?

So, i can have 2 raven 3L and 4X, or maybe i'm running Stalker M and F, or i got my clan on for the Prime and C, Then once i know the map/mode, I can go with what i feel is better suited or my mood of which to try. People could have long range or medium or even short range builds. Would JJ's help me more this time, or maybe i want something that runs cold, or maybe even HOT!. Oh no I want ECM! Tons of variables on this, but 2 would give you a bit of option.

I am sure it would lead to a little more min-maxing naybe? It's not like you aren't dropping on teams with all long range, or tons of LRMs as it is. Might give ya the change to counter, like ECM, or JJ's or what ever might help you this time.

I think in the end it would even out, as every player, even new players will be getting 2 mechs of the same kind soon enough. And for those super new and in trials, i am not sure this would really make starting the game much harder. Perhaps it could even help. I can't count how many times i've need stuck in a brawler and not ever get into range because the entire match the closest any other member gets is 600M+. Or maybe that speedy build might work much better than a slow lumbering one.

Give everyone 2 bays, I'd also like to say, give us the option to buy 2 extra.. (my thinking is one for each game mode, but honestly not sure if that would go to far as the min/max thing goes) I think in the end it would help vet players be more useful no mater what the map, and even newer players will be leveling a mech soon enough and should have 2 viable builds to play with different types of set ups and start learning what works better for them on certain maps/modes.

I think this 2 variants optino is something the match maker could work with for solo QP with out any issues. And Group QP it should also work no problem. as you are basically playing the same mech. So weight is the same so no tonnage issue.

I know i've seen solo drop deck suggestions before, but i am not sure i have ever seen the Solo 2 variant idea before. Like R2 though, i have been known to make a mistake. :)

#2 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

I have thought about this too and seen others ask to be able to select a Mech after the map selection has been made. It would be kind of cool but there is also something to be said about being forced to optimize your play style and utilize the Mech load-out that you drop with to your best advantage.

I know I have groaned when I get Polar Highland and I am dropping with a SPL Nova or a AC-20 Hellbringer but I have learned to work around the Mech load-out and have become much more successful in contributing to the team and getting wins by playing to the strengths of the Mech and weapon systems. It has now become a fun part of the challenge to see if I can still get a win even win I drop with a Mech that is ill suited to the map that I am dropping on.

#3 vibrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 209 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

This idea scares the hell out of me... I can only imagine everyone turning up to Alpine Peaks armed with: LRMs, ER PPCs, ER large largers & large pulse lasers. And nothing else. Everyone will just hill-hump for 15 minutes, ending with only 3 people dead.

As much as I'd love to be able to tailor a mech to a specific map, I can forsee it'd lead to major gameplay issues. At least now, we all have to be somewhat... flexible... in our loadouts so that we can function on most (if not all) maps and game modes and gameplay styles.

Edited by vibrant, 27 October 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

More min/maxing is exactly what this game needs, amirite???

Drop decks for QP is a dumb idea unless PGI plans on rolling QP games into CW results somehow.

#5 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

No it would ruin the game

#6 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostKing Alen, on 27 October 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

Ironically, it would make it closer to BT lore fluff in the sense that you'd see less variation in loadouts on the battlefield.

#7 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 27 October 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Ironically, it would make it closer to BT lore fluff in the sense that you'd see less variation in loadouts on the battlefield.

Might be good for TT but it is very bad to see in a shooter.

#8 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

View PostKing Alen, on 27 October 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

Might be good for TT but it is very bad to see in a shooter.

I agree...customization is king here and there would be less build diversity if people knew what maps they'd be dropping on and had a chance to switch mechs beforehand.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

Ever since I bought the KDK-3, I stopped caring about which map I drop into. :P

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:01 AM

The sim almost demands this like it or not. For faction play its almost unthinkable that mechs would be dropping completely unprepared mechs into battle.

How ever faction play is done and quick play, its not an easy thing to work everything into the mix.

Edited by Johnny Z, 28 October 2016 - 01:02 AM.

#11 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 28 October 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

The sim almost demands this like it or not. For faction play its almost unthinkable that mechs would be dropping completely unprepared mechs into battle.

How ever faction play is done and quick play, its not an easy thing to work everything into the mix.

But you can already figure out where you're dropping in CW. Doing it in QP would be a different story.

Does everything have to be about min/maxing? And if you don't think knowing the level in advance is about min/maxing, then what is it really about?

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostKing Alen, on 27 October 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

More than when people drop on a map with a mech they don't like and then strait away run into the enemy die, and DC from the game? I see this happen all the time. And you know it is exactly what is happening, when you see the same people do the same thing, on the same map over and over.. But a map they want to play, they play, and report does nothing, because no way to prove they are doing it on purpose.

Maybe people would be much more likely to actually stay and play if their choice didn't screw um for said match.

I know, I like many, play lots of different kinds of builds, and some will just suck on certain maps. So what happens is less variation because you don't like to play those unique builds that would be great on one map, but put your team down on another. Or you just run meta mechs, or load up large pulse lasers.. Now that's variation!

Oh no, LRM's on polar.. Well mabey more people run an ECM set up, to counter that. Or maybe they run faster mechs with killer short ranged to take um down before they can do damage.

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 October 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

Ever since I bought the KDK-3, I stopped caring about which map I drop into. Posted Image

Yea no kidding.. One mech to rule them all in PUG'.. I think this could help change that.. Unlike the last leader board event that had, I think 5 or so mechs that werent kodiaks on the assault list, and the lights, having locusts, ARC, and Jenner IIC's with i think 3 other lights out of 75?

To the other folks,,

I think people are missing,, It is only 2 mechs.. of the same mech.. How exactly is loading up a catapult C4 and a jester.. Or a Raven 2X vrs 3L, or Blackjack 1x vrs 1j be this huge game breaker? Sure some clanners would have a bit bigger of a difference, but at the same time, it is typically just a choice. I really don't see how this would be such a game breaker that some are thinking.. No worse than it is now if all the mechs loaded up on one side sink up well and the others don't..

How many times have you been on alpine and the other team was nothing but LRM's and snipers with a narcer.. and your team doesn't even have ECM? Boy those matches are lots of fun amirite??

this isn't group play where your team always works together.. Its a QP pug, and sometimes the best way to have a better match is when your in a mech that fits the map well.. Otherwise you are in a crap shoot 50% if not more.. yay my mech sucks on this map or maybe it doesn't but does because the team wants to play a completely different style. Guess my team is down a man this match. No a choice of 2 variants wouldn't fit every circumstance by far.. But could let you be slightly more flexible in the builds you wanna play. . But i guess you can always just hope that you luck out and the other team will have a KDR-3 DC... Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 October 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#13 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:45 AM

No.

This would make Alpine, Polar and Caustic unplayable for brawlers. I don't want to have to setup an LRM mech just so I have a fighting chance on those three maps.

Dropping in Terra Therma with a laser boat is how you get good at heat management. Everyone would switch to autocannons, gauss or missiles every time.

The only thing I would like about this is the chance to swap out of my Atlas on a Caustic pick/drop because the Nascar is deadly more often than not, but with this it also wouldn't be able to get into range of the LRM boats at all.

#14 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 28 October 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

More than when people drop on a map with a mech they don't like and then strait away run into the enemy die, and DC from the game? I see this happen all the time. And you know it is exactly what is happening, when you see the same people do the same thing, on the same map over and over.. But a map they want to play, they play, and report does nothing, because no way to prove they are doing it on purpose.

Maybe people would be much more likely to actually stay and play if their choice didn't screw um for said match.

I know, I like many, play lots of different kinds of builds, and some will just suck on certain maps. So what happens is less variation because you don't like to play those unique builds that would be great on one map, but put your team down on another. Or you just run meta mechs, or load up large pulse lasers.. Now that's variation!

Yes more then people quitting just because they dont like a map or a mode. I run every mech I have on every map and mode. I would also rather have random maps and gamemodes. I almost never run meta and I do just fine.

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

Why don't we just stop skirting around the issue and just ask PGI to let us pick map, mech, and mode before we drop? That's what people seem to want...

#16 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostDavers, on 28 October 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

Why don't we just stop skirting around the issue and just ask PGI to let us pick map, mech, and mode before we drop? That's what people seem to want...

Some people...

#17 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostDavers, on 28 October 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

I don't want it at all, maps and modes need to be random. Learn to play all maps with all Mechs.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostXetelian, on 28 October 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

No.

This would make Alpine, Polar and Caustic unplayable for brawlers. I don't want to have to setup an LRM mech just so I have a fighting chance on those three maps.

Dropping in Terra Therma with a laser boat is how you get good at heat management. Everyone would switch to autocannons, gauss or missiles every time.

The only thing I would like about this is the chance to swap out of my Atlas on a Caustic pick/drop because the Nascar is deadly more often than not, but with this it also wouldn't be able to get into range of the LRM boats at all.

Ok... so i have 3 mechs that i am leveling.. 3 crabs, they are 3 ERLL, 5 MPL, 2 LPL+3MPL... Please tell me how picking which mech i wanna play on which map, is going to ruin the game?

as it is now,,. I just drop in the game with each map and half the time with the team and play style typically because of the game mode/map it makes either mech have an advantage. So some times i have a bonus, and others i am screwed..

Polar/dom...

Yea this is exactly what i am talking about... How many times do you get stuck on this map in a brawler ne never have the team get closer than 600M? so if you want a long range mech, and a short range, you could do that, and honestly, for a bunch of mechs i have i would.. But a good 50% are similar builds, Large lasers,, large pulse.. AC5's or PPCs.. ect.. Most variants play similar. Yea, i realize clan mechs can be different, and a few of mine i play differently.. but even so, my storm crows are typically medium range,,, my assault is exe is a mid range, Ok so my nova is a short or long... Well that is one... and so is my crab builds, i have a short, medium, long.. But come on are you really afraid of my Uber crab?

But yea.. If i dropped on polar, and i happen to be playijng my catapults, I would much rather drop in my K2 over my jester.. Are you afraid that my K2 will own you? Cause honestly, if you are you have bigger problems.

IMO if you could choose, it would make having more than one load out of a mech much more viable. And i really think you would see many more builds, on maps verse people playing mechs that just fit most maps. I think it would lead to much more variety over all. and Yes it would make maps play different, and if they slanted towards one kinda play Cool.... it would be far better than peak and poke on HPG

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostKing Alen, on 28 October 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yes more then people quitting just because they dont like a map or a mode. I run every mech I have on every map and mode. I would also rather have random maps and game modes. I almost never run meta and I do just fine.

are you telling me that you never see the same people quit just because they drop on a map/mode they don't like? I will not name and shame.. BUt i can tell you i have seen it so many times it is not even funny,.. On load screen i see a name, and i know they don't like the map.. and they either kill themselves in the first 20 secs.. Or run right into the enemy and die... Yet on maps they like, i see them play totally different.

and that is pretty much my point.. Have you ever leveled 3 mechs at the same time and run 3 different builds? Half the time you get a map that one works better on.. What is wrong with wanting to run a mech that works well on the map/mode you are playing?

#20 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

The double edged sword is the speed that folks move to tier 3 (if they do not know how to avoid this).

You could see more items MM does not consider like multiple elited mechs and OP loadouts and especially multiple modules. Also alt accts already have an easier time, but they would gain a major advantage.

The other edge is that PGI may have to figure out a way to separate the tiers more and/or add other factors to the balancing mechanics for MM (not holding breath)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users