Weekly Review - July 20th

37 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Weekly Review – July 20th

And so this week comes to an end. We started with Ask The Devs 10 – Answers, before quickly moving on to Desktop Wallpaper 6. We continued letting everyone know (and encouraging you all to submit your entries to) the Nvidia MechWarrior Community Day, and Wednesday released the Here’s The Centurion video. A mere hour later we released the Spider ‘Mech image and story, which I hope you all enjoyed. We followed that up with our Weekly Screenshot 12, a (very) widescreen image for those of you who’ve been asking for one!

So there you have it, your busy week in review! Anyone here going to the Nvidia event? What are your thoughts on the Spider? How was the Centurion video? Could it have been 20% more awesome? Tell us how!

Thanks for tuning in, and we hope you all have a great weekend. We’ll see you again next week!

Cheers,

The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

More invites today? :blink:

#3 NWHHarrier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'll settle for #2 this time only!

#4 ElcomeSoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Despite my dislike of your new Centurion design it looks quite good and well animated. My only concern is that it looks quite plain compared to other mechs we have seen, in that it does not have much surface detail, decals and such.

Is this video representative of how you guys want the Centurion to look in-game or is it more of a work-in-progress which looks good for now but will look better in the future?

#5 Draco Harkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationIn the good part of Battletech, the tabletop.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

To be honest i was dissapointed with the light mech, i was expecting the Wolfhound or any other scout killer.

#6 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

You mean to tell me it's already been a week since the last weekly review? Feels like just yesterday!

#7 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Have the invites been all given for the Nvidia event? I'm still waiting for my reply :blink:

#8 HDMan

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Please give us poor PENDING folks another chance to play this weekend... "Pretty Please" :blink:

#9 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Except for a brief few seconds, more video could have been shown on how to properly utilize the shield arm of the centurion. Also the shield should be big enough to only merit a 45 degree twist instead of a full 90 degree twist which cuts off view, in order to use the arm in this way. 1:30 video mark centurion properly using its arm.

Edited by ManDaisy, 20 July 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#10 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

My concern is that some mechs have some very big limitations on their hardpoints. The stuff said in this Q&A may be outdated and changed by now, but if it ain't changed i'm worried about what it says near the bottom.
Community Q&A 6 - MechLab

I like the hardpoint system but you may have gone a bit too far in the limitations.

The Centurion not being able to mount anything in the left arm for example since it doesn't have any weapons mounted there. That's harsh.
The Spider 5V variant doesn't have any guns in the arms so the arms are useless in that variant? That's even harsher.

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

"Could it have been 20% more awesome?"

What a subtle way to mix in the brony vs antipony wars into your week review. :blink:

#12 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Spider was a welcome surprise.

Centurion was interesting, I liked the technical specs feel to the vid to round out the pretend 3049 salesperson pitch or intro to the game feel of some of the others. Showing off the sheild arm might have been a nice touch. It would also intro the unfamiliar to the concept of choosing where you let get hit based upon armour status & internal gear at risk.

Most importantly

More keys, please. Please? :-)

#13 Samson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationLow Geosynchronous Orbit

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

There is always room for 20% more awesome. You could easily make the next "Meet the..." video more awesome by letting us meet the Awesome. That would be awesome.

Now that I've said awesome way too many times, it was a good week overall. Keep those double wide screenshots coming.

#14 pingtoohuy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Could we have 3K keys for the weekend please, so we know what we will be doing Sat, Sun, instead of hitting F5? :blink:

#15 Rittermann

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I 2nd the Pending question....How about letting us pending get started this weekend....I want to see, if I decide to spend money on the founder's program, that it's going to be worth my time and money! Never did like buying a pig in a poke...

#16 Shadowstarr

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

How was the Centurion video? Could it have been 20% more awesome? Tell us how!

While the effort was nice i feel you guys could of gone more over the top with the presentation. If you intend a video for each mech then establish a fictional pitchman character. (<cough> Dunkin Fisher guy) Have the salesmen embellish insignificant feature as well as the important ones. The salesman in the firefly ep. "out of gas" might be a good starting point.

Along with the pitch man, cheesy graphics listing stupid stats like "10.5 percent more lrms then a dragon! with twice the ammo?!?!" maybe some short testimonials from "mechwarriors" kinda like you see on infomercials today.

-SS

#17 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I think centurion model could be better, but spider looks really nice in artwork. Problem is though i think too many differences between models and artwork.

#18 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I really enjoyed the autocannon effects in the Centurion video, both sound and graphics. I hope that was not just video editing embellishment, but actually looks and sounds like that ingame!

If it does, I am definitely seeing a pimped-out JägerMech in my future... ;)

#19 Tibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

love the spider is in game ... fast and nimble

#20 Kilo Papa Victor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:45 AM