Microphone capability for MWO?

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Should MWO have Microphones capabilites (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO have Microphone capability?

1. Yes: Easier to coordinate with other team mates (29 votes [69.05%])

Percentage of vote: 69.05%

2. No: Virgin ears might be prone to "trolldom" and "mic spamming" (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. No: Players need to adapt to typing (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes (other reason) (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

5. No (other reason) (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TrunksMaxamillan

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvannia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Since the MWO is a game more dependent on good team work, should they implement microphone capabilities so players can relay commands and control their mechs at the same time? Please comment below.

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

mic communication would be essential for complex tactical gameplay, especially since there is a dedicated "commander" role for the game. Also, it would be a little difficult to type "HELP, there's an atlas bearing down on me I need support!" while an atlas is bearing down on you and you're trying to maneuver away.

#3 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think VOIP has been mentioned a fair bit. Myself I could do without this. Some peoples kids belong in rubber rooms not on comms. Not that they would listen anyways. Organized houses will have Ventrillo, Teamspeak or that mumbleserver thing going anyways. Its a better option. You can kick/ban the rowdy kids if needed.

#4 TrunksMaxamillan

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

I agree. Since i am used to playing games like Left 4 dead, where its more reliant on team work over single elite players, i would prefer a mic. The issue with trolling and mic spamming can be solved with a voting system to silence a player.

#5 LordDread

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

i like the way WOT handles this, its built into the game, but u can only utilize it to take to your platoon or company, stops the general idiots form spamming rubbish.

That said our "clan" uses ventrilo most of the time anyway :)

though as long as they incorporate a fast and easy mute system then maybe a game wide voice thing could work, though i'd rather it stay in the lance/company style.

Edited by LordDread, 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#6 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think there should be voice chat in game, sure Merc corps might use 3rd party programs but we maybe find our selves in mixed matches where we're not all in the same corp. But we will still need to communicate with each other. As for the "you're not good enough for me to hear your voice" crowd,get over your self.

#7 empath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUTC - 3:30

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Posted Image

This has been hashed out several times already:

http://mwomercs.com/...me-voip-a-poll/

http://mwomercs.com/...voip-a-mistake/

Perhaps the devs - after launch has been completed and things settle down a little - will consider adding more load to the engine with this additional feature. As for now, they're focusing on getting the CORE elements of the game functioning in time for launch.

#8 TrunksMaxamillan

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postempath, on 21 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

This has been hashed out several times already:

http://mwomercs.com/...me-voip-a-poll/

http://mwomercs.com/...voip-a-mistake/

Perhaps the devs - after launch has been completed and things settle down a little - will consider adding more load to the engine with this additional feature. As for now, they're focusing on getting the CORE elements of the game functioning in time for launch.

Lol, sorry, did not realize there as a thread. Hell, there are 280 pages worth of threads. I am too lazy to read every single one. :P Plus, who reads threads past page 2. :D

#9 empath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUTC - 3:30

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

*shrug* That's why I offered the links. :P

(also, there's a "Search" feature right a the top-right of the page, too; it's how I got just these two older threads from a cursory query)

#10 Stripes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNizhny Novgorod, Russia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

In my opinion, with so many voice chat programs - building one ingame pointless waste of time. Have exp. with that in SC2 - very quickly muted it.
People (read - exp. players) who want voice chat - wil just use RC\Mumble\TS anyway - innate VC or not.

#11 Grey Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationToledo,OH

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostStripes, on 21 July 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

In my opinion, with so many voice chat programs - building one ingame pointless waste of time. Have exp. with that in SC2 - very quickly muted it.
People (read - exp. players) who want voice chat - wil just use RC\Mumble\TS anyway - innate VC or not.

This exactly. Thanks for saving me the time of rehashing it.

#12 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostTrunksMaxamillan, on 21 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Lol, sorry, did not realize there as a thread. Hell, there are 280 pages worth of threads. I am too lazy to read every single one. :P Plus, who reads threads past page 2. :D

me

#13 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

Why? there is

Teamspeak
mumble
ventrillo

and that are just those that come to my mind I am sure experts know more alternatives...

From the above I would say Teamspeak has currently the best quality *Flame war on*

#14 Ouster

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

Integrated voice chat programs can do thing no out of game chat program can. They can do things like positional audio with environmental effects. They can tell you who is taking without causing overlay issues. They can auto connect you to other players without having to give out room info. They can mute chat if game mechanics dictate that you go silent. They can even coordinate tiered communication within a team structure without you having to configure it yourself in your 3rd party program. This can enable way easy play for pug groups by enable features that only coordinated guilds would normally have or even take the time to setup.

Whinny players is an over rated problem. The game can always remember who you mute or it could take the halo reach approach. If you get muted to much your default muted for every one after that. When I started playing reach it was like Xbox live had started to become civilized place and that saying a lot.

I have still been waiting to see a game implement Dolby Axon that I actual play. That thing support supports just about every feature I mentioned. Not sure about tiered communication though.

There probably limited use for environmental effect in mech warrior but if you wanted to go the extra mille I am sure you could put in some acoustic effect due to the shape of the cockpit. But positional audio would be really useful and its only implemented by a hand full of chat programs. The key advantage of position audio within in game is you can accurate tell where people are by the sound of your voice. It also enables people to franticly yell over each other since you ears can use the brains innate sound filtering ability to home in on the conversation you want to hear. When directional data is lost everything blurs together.

The biggest thing is a game company should never implement their own from scratch system without real experts. Every time this happens they implement something with horrible voice quality. Voice clarity is the most important feature. Without that no one will even give it a chance.

Edited by Ouster, 22 July 2012 - 02:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users