Who are they, really? Where are they from? Where did all that hardware come from? What's with the employer hopping?
There have been tons of theories put out there, ever since the Dragoons first appeared. Some are more outlandish than others, some just are off-the-wall crazy. Let's talk about some of those theories, and I'll see what I can do to debunk a few of them.
* "They're just Periphery scum that got lucky, and found the mother of all Lostech caches."
This one is one of earliest theories, and was strongest back when the Dragoons were an unknown quantity. First off, let me say that your writer is a tiny bit biased on this one. I've had the honor of working with the Dragoons in the past, and I've gotta say; If they're just mercs or pirates from out in the periphery, they're the best behaved, most organized, and most honorable 'Scum' I've ever heard of.
* "They're genetically engineered beings, created to look like us, by a hyper-advanced alien civilization, to act as spies, and as the vanguard of an invasion!"
Ok, this one is pretty crazy, but it's been repeated often, and needs to be discussed. For starters, if this turns out to be true, I'll eat my own shoes, uncooked, and without any kind of condiments or seasoning(presumably right before the aliens devour my brains). There's all kinds of problems with this theory, first of which is; If there were some kind of advanced non-human civilization out there, don't you think we'd have seen or heard something by now(Kind of depressing, really, that as far as we know, us apes are all alone out here in galaxy.). Second problem is this: If the Dragoons were really spies or a vanguard, where's the invasion? Should'nt our alien overlords have stomped our worlds flat, and made off with our women by now?
* "The Dragoons are actually shape-changing aliens here to steal our worlds, our mechs, and our women"
See above. Whoever came up with this one needs to either lay off the good stuff, or start sharing.
* "They're lost time-travellers from the Star-League Era and/or the Future."
Pretty crazy, but less crazy than the "Brain sucking aliens here to steal our women"
* "They're from a lost colony in the deep periphery, and that colony is a Motherload"
This one you usually hear from pirates and mercs, especially ones from out by Antallos, for whatever reason. While the idea of a lost colony way out there in Periphery, overflowing with lostech is pretty outlandish, it's hardly impossible. But again, not much evidence to support this one.
Now, my favorite theory. "The Dragoons are somehow connected with the lost SLDF, and Kerensky"
There are multiple versions of this theory that I've heard, some of which are pretty depressing.
* The SLDF left, established a colony(or colonies) old man Kerensky died, the infighting starts, and after many generations of said infighting, the Dragoons are all that's left. There was nothing left for them out there, so the survivors returned to the Sphere to make a living as mercs. This is particularly depressing because it suggests that the exodus of the SLDF was all for naught and that they left the Sphere only to find more war.
* The SLDF left, ran into some kind of alien enemy, and the Dragoons are the only survivors. If this were true, would'nt the Dragoons be screaming "The Aliens are coming, the Aliens are coming!" off every mountaintop, and telling all who would listen?
* The SLDF left, formed their own civilization, and the Dragoons are exiles. This one is one of the more plausible theories. It also raises lots of questions. If they're a exiles, why were they cast out? They certainly don't fit the bill of 'violent criminals exiled for the common good'. Could they be political dissidents? A rogue military unit on the run? A religious sect cast out for their beliefs?
So, there you have it, the thoughts of a humble Mechwarrior on the so-called 'Dragoon Mystery'. Thanks for reading, folks.
Edited by Paul Inouye, 19 December 2011 - 02:22 PM.
Try not to cuss in the titles of threads. :)