ISN News Flash

19 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Tues. Dec 20, 3048: Magistracy of Canopus remembers the fourth anniversary of the death of Magestrix Kyalla Centrella.

#2 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image

Kyalla Centrella was elected to become the Magistracy of Canopus's Magestrix after the death of her mother, Tamara, in 3012. Once in office, she pushed for far-reaching social and economic reforms. She adopted a "service for a service" reciprocity as her foreign policy. This allowed an influx of skilled technicians and scientists and stimulated her nation's economy.
Despite her political successes, Centrella's record was not entirely spotless. An ill-advised alliance with Andurien in an attempt to join the two nations resulted in the disastrous Andurien Secession Crisis. After being soundly defeated in that conflict due to terrible strategic decisions, Centrella's mental state slowly deteriorated into paranoia. She began suspecting her daughter of treason, and ordered her arrest and execution. Fortunately, her daughter escaped and mounted a coup with forces pledging their support for her. Magestrix Centrella was deposed on May 8th, 3040 and passed away four years later.

Edited by Ghost, 20 December 2011 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

pretty cool there going to add the magistracy of canopus lore to the game.

#4 Alexei Karnov

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Always good to remember what's going on out on the fringe, both past and present

#5 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 20 December 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

pretty cool there going to add the magistracy of canopus lore to the game.

Thiis is fluff. While it's cool too see, it doesn't mean the MOC will be added to the game. Please not, I'm not against that. However mentioning of something that happens in the background doesn't mean it's part of the game ie fight for or against them. I would take the mentions fo various mech types or weapons as more likely, though still not a guarantee.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

I would imagine, despite the reams of history and fluff available in the game, it's really difficult to come up with daily news bits for us, so I would imagine that Mr. Bills, since he's the one making and transmitting these news bites, is creating much of this from scratch. Doing quite well, also.

#7 Rakett

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Going OOC here against my usual preference. I imagine it's quite the opposite. If you can't come up with a single line blurb a day from the wealth of background dressing available in the Battletech universe then, frankly, you have no business being in the creative writing game. What I imagine is quite different... I picture the author pulling a random sourcebook off a random shelf, opening it to a random page and blindly stabbing their finger down upon a random paragraph. Then, they create a bit of news loosely related to whatever subject they find there. I suppose you could consider that one method of "thumbnailing" the goings-on in the setting. (har, har...eh, ehem...right).

#8 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

View PostRakett, on 21 December 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Going OOC here against my usual preference. I imagine it's quite the opposite. If you can't come up with a single line blurb a day from the wealth of background dressing available in the Battletech universe then, frankly, you have no business being in the creative writing game. What I imagine is quite different... I picture the author pulling a random sourcebook off a random shelf, opening it to a random page and blindly stabbing their finger down upon a random paragraph. Then, they create a bit of news loosely related to whatever subject they find there. I suppose you could consider that one method of "thumbnailing" the goings-on in the setting. (har, har...eh, ehem...right).

I wouldn't say it's purely random. A lot of the time I get to the item in question in my own books or read up on it somewhere, and I'm honestly impressed someone out there has gone to all the trouble of hunting down every single 3048/3049 reference in Battletech, and if that wasn't enough, calling out other events that happened in the "past" that have had significant impacts on the "future" of the Inner Sphere. Add that to showcasing 'Mechs and weapon systems and you're getting what I would call a fairly effective day-to-day briefing on what Battletech is and where it is going for the uninitiated and the veteran alike. If you add Randall Bills on top of that sundae, you're getting what is essentially an unprecedented canon timeline accurate-(ish) to the day.

(Disclaimer: I'm totally a history geek.)

#9 Rakett

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I suspect the reality is a blend of by-design and random injections (<--good spontaneous band name there). Bits that will appear in the game will be highlighted in passing via blurb-o-vision. The rest (and probably majority) is pulled totally from the ether. And actually...the fact that some of this stuff is so obscure is exactly why I think some of it is found with the pull and point method. Other than by random accident, how ~would~ anyone come up with some of this specific subject matter. However it's done...I find it highly entertaining and I hope they keep up the pace. In the meantime I will continue to take great pleasure in RP'ing my replies to the posts and now and then take small liberties with the storyline. It pleases me to add my small fingerprint to the setting and to date no ROM agents have shown up at my doorstep, nor have any of my pets disappeared. Keep up the good work guys!

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostRakett, on 21 December 2011 - 09:08 AM, said:

random injections (<--good spontaneous band name there)

Random aside: my band name when Rock Band came out was Enhanced Interrogation. I'm surprised I haven't seen it used by a real band yet.

Edited by Dihm, 21 December 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#11 Rakett

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

LoL...our band name was Fivemileladder, which I named after a particularly ridiculous session of AD&D from ages ago (the 90's) where we were trapped far underground. Our GM eventually took pity on us and allowed us to escape to safety via...well...you get it. Sillyness Maximus.

#12 Bruce Adders

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

Glory to the Magestrix!

Magistracy of Canopus is by far the realm you'd actually want to live in, were you a resident of the Battletech universe. I doubt they'll become a faction you can play for though.... but I want that, all the same.

So seeing as how that's unlikely to be available, I went with House Liao - underdogs, a small but elite military, service in return for free education and health care - a better deal than being born a peasant in the Federated Suns.

As for the Clans, what nasty fascists! They keep slaves, ugh.

Mercenaries - McCarron's Armoured Cavalry. Elite heavy regiments just made to take worlds off House Davion's hands.

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostRakett, on 21 December 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

LoL...our band name was Fivemileladder, which I named after a particularly ridiculous session of AD&D from ages ago (the 90's) where we were trapped far underground. Our GM eventually took pity on us and allowed us to escape to safety via...well...you get it. Sillyness Maximus.

The 90's was ages ago ! try the 60's or the Dark Ages ;)

#14 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostBruce Adders, on 08 October 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Glory to the Magestrix!

Magistracy of Canopus is by far the realm you'd actually want to live in, were you a resident of the Battletech universe. I doubt they'll become a faction you can play for though.... but I want that, all the same.

So seeing as how that's unlikely to be available, I went with House Liao - underdogs, a small but elite military, service in return for free education and health care - a better deal than being born a peasant in the Federated Suns.

As for the Clans, what nasty fascists! They keep slaves, ugh.

Mercenaries - McCarron's Armoured Cavalry. Elite heavy regiments just made to take worlds off House Davion's hands.

I hadn't thought about that, my objection has allways been based on, it was a sad marketing ploy that people got sucked into wanting the bestest..so they could play roll the dice and win.

but clan do mirror hitlers/himmlers racial purity and sub human culture, badly hidden behind effiency, and honour

#15 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Zombie thread... holy moley, hehe. Anyone bring the shotguns and hatchets?

#16 Alpha087

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I miss the ISN News stuff...

#17 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

I saw this thread as the most recent posted to in Announcements and freaked out, I thought it was back. But alas ;)

Edited by Rizzelbizzeg, 08 October 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#18 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Wow, is this what this community's hope has dipped to?

#19 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Cool story... honestly did not know it

#20 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hey everybody! Do you miss ISN news flashes? You're not alone!

http://mwomercs.com/...isn-news-flash/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users