499 replies to this topic

#321 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

I too love lights, the best a premade group can get for a Light wolf pack is 3 Lights and a Cicada, since 3/3/3/3 went in you cannot launch in a group with more than 3 lights, and as p4r4g0n said it is highly unlikely you will end up with more than 3 lights. you can SLIGHTLY improve the odds by having 2 groups with 2 or more lights drop at the same time (synch drop) however it is still pretty unlikely, from my experience about 1 time in 10 you will end up in the same match on different sides, about 1 in 20 you will end up on the same team.

#322 Zalmoxas

Banned - Cheating

• 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 19 March 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

I too love lights, the best a premade group can get for a Light wolf pack is 3 Lights and a Cicada, since 3/3/3/3 went in you cannot launch in a group with more than 3 lights, and as p4r4g0n said it is highly unlikely you will end up with more than 3 lights. you can SLIGHTLY improve the odds by having 2 groups with 2 or more lights drop at the same time (synch drop) however it is still pretty unlikely, from my experience about 1 time in 10 you will end up in the same match on different sides, about 1 in 20 you will end up on the same team.

Thanks for the info guys I suspected there was a system for limiting numbers of weight classes but I didn't know specifically until now!

#323 Razorfire

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

Just got my first two jenners (an Fc and an Oxide) up to Elite this week, and I'm looking to take my game to the next level - which is clearly to team up. Having spotty luck with the teamspeak server. Anyone out there looking to take a relative noob for a ride?

#324 P a r i a h

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:28 AM

Hi Mechwarriors
My first post and my first (two) quick questions:
1. Is it wise to spend cadet bonus money to buy Timberwolf as first own mech? I feel good in heavy class, love MadCat but im not sure if I wont struggle with money for upgrades/upkeep etc.
2. Can someone link me to some tutorial about all this faction "thingies" as I can't find it? I joined 7 day contract with Wolf Clan but I instantly got lost in all that tab with planets, missions etc.
Sorry for such noobie questions and thx in advance.

#325 Super Trooper

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostP a r i a h, on 10 April 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Hi Mechwarriors
1. Is it wise to spend cadet bonus money to buy Timberwolf as first own mech? I feel good in heavy class, love MadCat but im not sure if I wont struggle with money for upgrades/upkeep etc.

Thing to remember with clan mechs, there are no armor, heat sink, engine upgrades like IS mechs. Once you have the mech all you do is buy the weapons loadout you want and you are set. As you play more you can worry about modules down the road.

#326 ProtonSmasher

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

I am a old timer from MW4 Mercs in the past +. We progressed different back in the late early 2000s to now. It seems the mouse in this game is the way to go for targeting. Back then it was the torso twist with the sidewinders. We were teached to rotate and counter rotate when one on one as needed for the arms. It was slower but fun. Lately I have yet to get a grip on what is shown on the Youtube Vids and application with MWO. My damage ability is low in comparison. Not sure how to progress.

#327 Aethelred Kell

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

I joined the TS3 channel looking for some help, but there was no one there. I'm going to sit in it a while and hope that someone appears.

#328 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostP a r i a h, on 10 April 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Hi Mechwarriors
2. Can someone link me to some tutorial about all this faction "thingies" as I can't find it? I joined 7 day contract with Wolf Clan but I instantly got lost in all that tab with planets, missions etc.
Sorry for such noobie questions and thx in advance.

I dunno if you figured it out or not... For actual questions it's easier to get answers in the main new player thread with a topic. This is sort of the entry level "Looking for friends" sort of thread.

1) You can. But Timber Wolves are pretty up there in funds. I prefer mediums as a starting point, though my personal starting point was a Jenner, then a Catapult, and I found my calling between the Hunchback and Catapult (but at the time there was 4 'Mechs available...lol.)

2) Factions at the moment don't matter beyond whether you can use Clans or IS 'Mechs. Again, at the moment. Click the Faction tab.

On the right hand side is a planet list. The rest is just for show though like Windows, you can do just about everything here in several different ways.
Posted Image

Choose a planet that is close to intervals of "12" to "12." So 24/24, 36/36, 48/48 for fast matches. Close to but not exact (so 11/10 is good, 12/12 is likely to cop out because it's already full).

Make sure you have a dropdeck of 160 to 240 (or 250) tons with 4 mechs.
Posted Image
Enjoy!

#329 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostAethelred Kell, on 02 May 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

I joined the TS3 channel looking for some help, but there was no one there. I'm going to sit in it a while and hope that someone appears.

What TS3 channel?

I recommend the TS channel found on this website. It'll auto log you in once you click "join our teamspeak."

#330 Aethelred Kell

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

I was using the Comstar North America one. I will try that one now.

#331 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

I will be helping anyone this weekend if, and only if, anyone shows up :)

check around 9:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

#332 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

I hat=ve TS3, but unfortunately I am not used to it all that much since I only just started sing it about 2 weeks ago, and since i am not in any Unit, I am unsure how to use it in conjuncture with MWO groups, when i have no idea which section in MEchWarrior to choose. But I am getting better every time I play a drop match, and am on LFG pretty much all the time (mostly in the morning (Australian Eastern Standard Time) so if anyone sees me in reguar match queues, feel free to ad me any time.
I really need to get beter at group outfit sisteadof always playing solo :-(

#333 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 05 May 2015 - 03:31 AM, said:

I hat=ve TS3, but unfortunately I am not used to it all that much since I only just started sing it about 2 weeks ago, and since i am not in any Unit, I am unsure how to use it in conjuncture with MWO groups, when i have no idea which section in MEchWarrior to choose. But I am getting better every time I play a drop match, and am on LFG pretty much all the time (mostly in the morning (Australian Eastern Standard Time) so if anyone sees me in reguar match queues, feel free to ad me any time.
I really need to get beter at group outfit sisteadof always playing solo :-(

I saw you in a few matches last night (from Australia), and you were pretty quiet on VOIP. You need to speak up mate, don't be shy.

#334 SandMarauder

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hi..I have played almost all the mechwarriors, but it has been awhile. Where is a good place to start or get advice?

#335 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostSandMarauder, on 06 May 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hi..I have played almost all the mechwarriors, but it has been awhile. Where is a good place to start or get advice?

You're in the right place.

This forum, and especially the new player help section, are the best place to look for advice.

Any questions you have, we'd be happy to help.

#336 SandMarauder

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thank you for the quick response. Is there someplace that you recommend that I start looking or just dive in and hope for the best

#337 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostSandMarauder, on 06 May 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

Thank you for the quick response. Is there someplace that you recommend that I start looking or just dive in and hope for the best

New player help section, and since I'm here, ask right here, or PM me.
Short Question, Short Answer thread is another great resource.

The problem is that this game has no real tutorial, or guide. It's baptism by fire all the way through. Plus the learning curve is the about as forgiving as the west side of mount Thor (pic related)

Posted Image

Do you need an explanation of some of the basic mechanics, or something more specific?

Also, this thread is not just for mentoring advice/appointments, you can also ask questions here.

#338 SandMarauder

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Nope you answered what i was needing to know. Thank you. Baptism by fire is the best way to start

#339 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostSandMarauder, on 06 May 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

Nope you answered what i was needing to know. Thank you. Baptism by fire is the best way to start

LOL, that's a healthy attitude. I would also advise you to watch some MWO gameplay footage or Youtube tutorials to help you get the hang of things.

http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds

Three warnings:

1- Your first 25 matches you will receive an increased stipend of C-Bills (in-game currency. Which btw, you can play this game completely for free, and not worry about a thing, there is no Pay to win) Spend NONE of it, until you finish all 25 matches, then come to the new player help section, and talk with the veterans about what your first mech should be (the consensus has generally been a medium, either the Hunchback, Centurion, or Shadowhawk.), it's one of the most common questions asked there, and we'll be able to give you the best choice to start with, depending on your playstyle, since we've got it nailed down to a science.

2- This is not like the other Mechwarrior games you've played. There are several differences. For example, we can aim our arms separate from our torso weapons (make sure "arm lock" is disabled in the in-game options menu)

3- DO NOT be the first one the enemy sees, they will lock on to you (with the all important "R" key), they will shoot you, and all of them will chase you until you die.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 06 May 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#340 SandMarauder

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:53 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 May 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

LOL, that's a healthy attitude. I would also advise you to watch some MWO gameplay footage or Youtube tutorials to help you get the hang of things.

http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds

Three warnings:

1- Your first 25 matches you will receive an increased stipend of C-Bills (in-game currency. Which btw, you can play this game completely for free, and not worry about a thing, there is no Pay to win) Spend NONE of it, until you finish all 25 matches, then come to the new player help section, and talk with the veterans about what your first mech should be (the consensus has generally been a medium, either the Hunchback, Centurion, or Shadowhawk.), it's one of the most common questions asked there, and we'll be able to give you the best choice to start with, depending on your playstyle, since we've got it nailed down to a science.

2- This is not like the other Mechwarrior games you've played. There are several differences. For example, we can aim our arms separate from our torso weapons (make sure "arm lock" is disabled in the in-game options menu)

3- DO NOT be the first one the enemy sees, they will lock on to you (with the all important "R" key), they will shoot you, and all of them will chase you until you die.

Number 3 worked excellently for the other team. This will take some getting used to. This has a large learning curve. Thanks for the advice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users