Official

167 replies to this topic

#21 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

yes, the module system leaves me at ease about how the mech lab is turning out.

#22 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yay, different visions. This feature was seen lastly in Mechwarrior 2. B)

Those modules are interesting, but that is about next Dev Blog. ^_^

P.S. Give us the leg at least on Q&A picture, or hand. ;)

#23 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 04 January 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

First. This is really nice reading. I'm very pleased with how you guys are planning it out. This will allow for some really awesome tactics and play. Secondly. When the mention C3. I don't think they mean in the same sense as how it works in TT, were you have the targeting modifier based on the spotter.

Well, according to Sarna, the C3 network "shares targetting data". In a real time, non-dice roll game, of course you can't represent that by a targetting modifier. However, the C3 network, because it shares targetting data, would allow you to get a target lock on enemies that you otherwise could not. In addition, remember that C3 networks let mechs with indirect fire weapons make those shots as if they had LOS to the mech (so long as an ally equipped with C3 can see that mech). So this is still quite a good translation of the TT rules for C3 into real time.

I think it basically means that unlike in previous MechWarrior games. If a scout spots the enemy where the rest of the company can't see them, these units will show up on everyones battlegrid, giving everyone on your team situational awareness.

That's how it was done in MW:LL. Each C3 equpped mech had a circle that emminated from them. If any other C3 equpped mech was in that circle and could also target an enemy, then any other C3 equpped mech would acquire that targetting data as well. You could potentiall target enemies on the exact other side of the map if you had your C3 network just so.

#24 Battlefield

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBerlin - Germany

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

WYSIWYG or what will get you ^_^ I just hope that there's an easy way for Mercs to get the right com module for the current team so we don't have to carry around both all the time to be able to share and receive intel.

#25 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thank you, Devs. I enjoyed the article. ECM is gonna rock (and my future Raven 'Mech I hope). I really like how MWO's paradigm is evolving so far. I would gladly buy any Special Edition Pre-Order of MWO to support so long expected game. BT fan since 1995.

#26 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 04 January 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Well, according to Sarna, the C3 network "shares targetting data". In a real time, non-dice roll game, of course you can't represent that by a targetting modifier. However, the C3 network, because it shares targetting data, would allow you to get a target lock on enemies that you otherwise could not. In addition, remember that C3 networks let mechs with indirect fire weapons make those shots as if they had LOS to the mech (so long as an ally equipped with C3 can see that mech). So this is still quite a good translation of the TT rules for C3 into real time.

The problem is that there was a trade off for gaining that ability. You had to invest the 1 ton/1 critical into having a C3 slave, and someone else had to invest in the C3 Master, which was... 5 tons? Something like that?

#27 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hmmm... Support Units. Does it mean non player vehicles, infantry, elems so forth, controlled by commander? Or just UAVs?

Edited by Glorius, 04 January 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#28 Naftalion

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

It should be great that a scout mech can illuminate an ennemy mech to allow longe range mech use LRM without sight of view. With a delay to avoid abused gameplay.

#29 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Good day to be a scout!

I can't wait to load up a light fast mech with all the jammers possible and go cause some mayhem!

#30 Glorius

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPesht, Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

I can't wait to see this little nasty scout in my reticule and smash him with a trio of PPCs. ^_^

Edited by Glorius, 04 January 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#31 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostDihm, on 04 January 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

The problem is that there was a trade off for gaining that ability. You had to invest the 1 ton/1 critical into having a C3 slave, and someone else had to invest in the C3 Master, which was... 5 tons? Something like that?

Yes, the C3 master is 5 tons and takes 1 critical.

This is why I'm interested in how the module system will work. Since it doesn't seem to take "slots" (they most likely mean critical slots) and tonnage, then can we destroy these systems? What kind of disadvantage would there to using them?

#32 Dragonis

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCentral United States

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

I'm not exactly sure myself about the (Modules System)
It may present more customizable Mechs, but it sounds too much like an (Eve Online Concept)
I have been a fan of MW since the SNES Game Platform Version.
One thing people took to heart was spending long periods of time, planning and scheming
out the best possible set up for their current weight limit Mech. I remember I could
customzie some Small Mechs to be as deadly as a 85-Ton Mech, or Vice Versa, I could
make some 85-100-Ton Mechs Very Manuverable and still capable of dealing out a large
amount of DPS without reaching Heat Sink Mass Critical.

I hope that they still make it to where you have class/module/weapon limitations,
while still allowing the player to completely strip down a mech and build it from
the ground up. Maybe even give it a custom color/paint/logo scheme.

Also I'd like to see Drop Ships, and Jump Ships have a large role in the game.
Not just background Cosmetic. Make the Ultimate Goal of an existing Clan, or
a fabricated Clan to have a Jump Ship with 4-Drop Ships. Make the Jump Ships
capable of traveling all over the Galaxy/Game Environment, make both Drop Ship, and
Jump Ship Buildable and Destructable on planets and in Space. So as to allow battles like
the rare one encountered in the MW2- Ghost Bears Legacy that had a small scale space battle.
The same concept blew away even avid Halo Players on the game Reach, where they could finally
fight in a Space Environment.

#33 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

C3 and mentioning MAD sensors, oh this will be good. I might actually pilot Light 'Mechs for a while just to get the feel of them again.

#34 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostAtlas3060, on 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

C3 and mentioning MAD sensors, oh this will be good. I might actually pilot Light 'Mechs for a while just to get the feel of them again.

MAD sensors?

#35 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

They told us we would be able to customize our cockpits, and now they're telling us that we will have a module system, each of which we can pick up and use based on skills we build, and to greater effect as we use the skills more. Knowing how modular the various cockpits of helicopters, especially the latest ones, can be, I can see this working really nicely.

#36 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 04 January 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

MAD sensors?

Magnetic anomaly detector I assume he is referring to.

A magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) is an instrument used to detect minute variations in the Earth's magnetic field. The term refers specifically to magnetometers used by military forces to detect submarines (a mass of ferromagnetic material creates a detectable disturbance in the magnetic field); the military MAD gear is a descendent of geomagnetic survey instruments used to search for minerals by the disturbance of the normal earth-field.

Edit: No clue what happened with the formatting there!

Edited by Dihm, 04 January 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#37 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

GJ guys!

It sounds interesting and im looking forward to test it on the battlefield. ^_^

#38 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is getting better by the week.
If these are beta ready concepts I expect that by march maybe May we may be playing this excellent game at least in a beta formal (I think the devs know what happens to studios that make a failwarrior title.)
Looking good.
To recap
YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW! -ominous lightning and thunder!-
Also punishment may or may bot be in the form of a million My Little Pony painted miniatures spam mailed to the devs.

#39 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostDihm, on 04 January 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Magnetic Anomoly Detector

Ah, then I assume he was talking about the "Magnetometer", which I guess is basically the "MagSec" that they describe in the novels..

#40 Evernigh

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just a quick thing about C3 guys im guessing it wont be in the initial release as long as they are sticking to Cannon as its not avaliable untill 3050 from the Draconis Combine (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/C3) so we will have to wait for then for them to introduce it to the game.

But appart from that looking forward to it an see their being a few problems maybe but know comstar will get this right ballance whise.

Edited by Evernigh, 04 January 2012 - 11:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users