Logan Nine Fingers, on 31 July 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:
Great modeling going on here! Like it!
RotS Targe, on 31 July 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:
very nice, I'll be watching this with interest. Which Program are you using?
Truespace 6.6 for this model. You can download v7.6 for free.
Bishop Steiner, on 31 July 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:
not 100% sold on the shoulder light (where you go from here though could make or break it) but love the "belly flood" on the lower dome. A very useful and sensible set up, even if the pilot is likely to spend half his income replacing them, lol!
The searchlight in this regard is supposed to be a noticable, but minor detail in the grand scheme of things. As for the belly lights, I generally try to add spots or floods on my 'mech designs. It's that little extra detail that adds a touch of realism to a build. If it's done sensibly.
Both the Destroid and BattleMech have similar details on the back so fusing the styles here was pretty easy. I had to use low rez, fuzzy screens of the back side of a Reseen Whammy courtesy of Camospecs.com. An invaluable source for people doing 'mech designs.
And what did I do? Lets start with the top. The SRM6 seemed set too low and no amount of adjusting and fenagling seemed to work. Plus the entry point for the ammo feed wasn't lined up with the lower most missile tube. So I added a mounting bracket which allowed me to reliably place the SRM over the shoulder like in the unseen version. I also built in a feed port into the shoulder so the belt doesn't look like it was just stuck on there. Now it appears that the feed belt actually dips down into the ammo stores. I also added some antennae mounts and grabbed my whip antenna that I use in nearly every war machine I build.
Moving to the back, I wanted to go with something that looked solid, yet functional. I've seen people paint the hemispherical part with radiation warning signs, so I suppose that would be the fusion core access. Considering where the SRM ammo is stored, I'd guess that's what the other side is protecting. Added some exhaust vents, heat exchangers and all the things necessary to bleed heat and keep the 'mech running cool. And to give the unit some utility, a couple of tow rings.
I didn't save any progress shots this time, so here's a full blown, completed rear torso.