Starting mech for House Steiner

175 replies to this topic

Poll: Assumption that there's other mechs than Atlas (737 member(s) have cast votes)

Starter mech for House Steiner (weight)

1. Assault (109 votes [14.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

2. Heavy (139 votes [18.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

3. Medium (162 votes [21.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.98%

4. Light (118 votes [16.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.01%

5. Voted There's other mechs than an Atlas? (149 votes [20.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.22%

6. Overlord Class Dropship (60 votes [8.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSummer, Skye Federation

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Fafnir...Assault all the way... ;)

#22 THE 3rdbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

Isn't this thread on a Steiner forum redundant?

Steiner #1: Do want to start with an Assault-class mech?
Steiner #2: You mean there are different weight classes?

#23 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostTHE 3rdbreed, on 21 January 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Let me enlighten you...

< 80 Tons = Battle Armor
80-90 Tons = Light Scout Mech
90-95 = Medium Scout Mech
100 = Heavy Scout Mech.

See

#24 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

If there were single starter mechs by weight class and they were Faction-oriented I would like to see the following:

LCAF:
Light: Commando 2D
Medium: Griffin 1N
Heavy: Flashman 7K
Assault: Zeus 6S

DCMS:
Light: Spider 5V
Medium: Hunchback 4G
Heavy: Catapult C1
Assault: Atlas 7D

CCAF:
Light: Stinger 3R
Medium: Blackjack 1
Heavy: Cataphract 1X
Assault: Thug 11E

FWLM:
Light: Hermes 1S
Medium: Scorpion 1N
Heavy: Orion 1K
Assault: Stalker 3F

AFFS:
Light: Valkyrie QA
Medium: Centurion 9A
Heavy: Rifleman 3C
Assault: Victor 9B

KungsArme:
Light: Panther 9R
Medium: Vulcan 2T
Heavy: Dragon 1N
Assault: Cyclops 10Z

This would give a total of 25 mechs in-game (Jenner not listed).
I also think that given the variety this spread of mechs would cover many options of playtypes in all weight classes
Of course all mechs would be purchaseable to all players.

Edited by Damocles, 23 January 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#25 Arro

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have to put my vote in for the Commando 2D. Sure it's 25 tons, but that's probably 5 tons more than any Locusts, Fleas or Stingers than anyone else will be getting to start with. Reasonable armour and massive firepower for such a small design, at the expense of mobility, and it's a pure Lyran design.

As for starter mechs in higher weight brackets, I guess a Hatchetman for mediums (45 tons so fairly light, not old but in high production throughout the 4th Succession War and thereafter), followed by the Thunderbolt (65 tons, versatile, mobile, a real solid workhorse) and the iconic Zeus for the assault class (80 tons, light but fast, a variety of weapons and again, pure Lyran design).

[EDIT]
-- Then again, the developers have already said they're staying away from physical attacks, right? I guess that rules out the Hatchetman and Axeman for now...

Edited by Arro, 23 January 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#26 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

The Hatchetman has two medium lasers and an AC-10. With jump jets. I think that's a decent loadout for a starting medium mech, even if its lugging around a useless hatchet.

In fact, if they make the hatchet big enough, it might work great as a shield.

Damocles--Great list. Very thorough. I think you nailed every starter mech perfectly--except for letting the Dracs start off in an Atlas. That's just wrong.

Then again, the DCMS is all about being horribly wrong, so maybe they need the enticement to get people to play them :).

#27 Leonardo Monteiro

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGalatea, Island of Skye

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

Start with Commando Battle Armor - only after you purchase your promotions can you get a batltlemech.

#28 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postrevanus, on 24 January 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Damocles--Great list. Very thorough. I think you nailed every starter mech perfectly--except for letting the Dracs start off in an Atlas. That's just wrong.

Then again, the DCMS is all about being horribly wrong, so maybe they need the enticement to get people to play them :).

Thanks.
That was kinda my thoughts. Really the Atlas isn't totally OP compared to what the other houses' assault mechs would have.

I considered giving them the Mauler but I just don't see that as being very common. Hatamoto-Chi weapon spread is covered by the Thug, and I wanted to avoid Unseen as much as possible so no Battlemaster.

Edited by Damocles, 25 January 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#29 konstrukt

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I've always been partial to the Warhammer, but they were primarily used by Kurita, though Karensky's Warhammer with the Dragoons was probably my favorite.

#30 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

If light and within proper time frame, wolfhound. Commando if not. If we get to customize our mechs then any 35 ton chassis will suit me.
Does anyone really know about starting out? Will we be assigned to one of the Houses or the hiring hall?

#31 TekFan

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think in either way it should be impossible to start in something heavy from the start.

If you're a lonewolf, you might not have the money for that size of mech.
If you're piloting for a faction, you should need to prove yourself before getting to control something that expensive.

Medium-Mechs are more likely: Quite a punch and quite manuverable for a managable price.
They offer a bit for players who prefer Light-Mechs and for players whose mech-tonnage will rise fast.

#32 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well given that it looks like you can start in any weight class.

Light - Comando (the only choice really, the signature light Steiner 'mech of the last 700 years)
Medium - Shadowhawk (This was a tough one the only medium 'mech that Stiener is really associated with is the Hatchetman and that shouldn't be a starting 'mech)
Heavy - Crusader (they produce and use more of these then anyone else)
Assault - Zeus (once a quintessential Steiner design)

#33 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

"There is no bigger fist than that of an Atlas"

#34 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostTHE 3rdbreed, on 21 January 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

LOL...well you know, sometimes certain folks need a quick - severe kick to the nutz to shake em outta that fog! :D

#35 Wild Hog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Those only look like assault mechs from your view, ground level! When you've ejected and are running for your life amid the rubble that was once your lance, I can see why you think my Dragon is an Atlas. :P

#36 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostWraith-1, on 09 January 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

It should be like in Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, where you start out on foot and later acquire a Commando Battle Armor.

Ah, not so. You can actually escape in the Chameleon when the Kuritans arrive by sticking to the left of the battle yard and running from their mechs. Playing the game with a 50 ton starting mech was much easier.

#37 Gwenaelle Focht

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPlanet Wyatt, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Since I selected 'heavy' (as that may increase my chances of getting accepted in Comstar later on) I will be hoping to start with a Grashopper, Ostsol or Crusader.

However, I also figured that one will have to be realistic and therefore, it it unlikely that one will be rewarded with high firepower/armour at the start of the game. Thus, I reckon old-fashioned 20 to 30 ton mechs (not a fancy 35 ton model such as the Firestarter, Jenner, Wolfhound, Panther, Ostscout or Raven) may have to be sufficient in the beginning ... and then my choice would be either a Falcon or a Valkyrie (the Hussar is obviously not an option keeping the timeline in mind).

#38 Morgan the Bear

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

No one should 'start' in an assault mech. We should all start in light mechs and earn the privelllidge to pilot heavier and more powerful mechs, maybe linked to character progression?

In the theme, spirit and fluff of the mechwarrior/battletech world, a newbie starting off in an Atlas is a joke.

#39 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

Since medium Mechs are the "light Mechs" by Steiner it should be no light Mech. I would go with medium or heavy, defininetly not Assault, because there should still be a way up ;-)

#40 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostMorgan the Bear, on 03 February 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

No one should 'start' in an assault mech. We should all start in light mechs and earn the privelllidge to pilot heavier and more powerful mechs, maybe linked to character progression?

In the theme, spirit and fluff of the mechwarrior/battletech world, a newbie starting off in an Atlas is a joke.

Unless, their family owned that particular BattleMech or they tested better at a certain platform while in the academy. Let's not forget having rich parents even without a mech. This is Steiner, we buy what we feel we deserve. Alternatively, stock Banshee.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users