101 replies to this topic

#61 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postphelanjkell, on 18 January 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Not to fuel the inferno rounds anymore, but NGNG will be covering the breakdown of the play testing in tonight's recording!!!

TrollMaster Paul , may his servos seize up in his old age, straight out and said so here http://mwomercs.com/...dpost__p__88827

Now the question is, did he give you a break down, some video, or is the Human Resource nightmare himself making an appearance?

Edited by Helmer, 18 January 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#62 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

View Postphelanjkell, on 18 January 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Not to fuel the inferno rounds anymore, but NGNG will be covering the breakdown of the play testing in tonight's recording!!!

That means you must put it up with much haste! Don't be influenced by all the trolling that goes on here iight? ;)

#63 statler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 18 January 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

<P>As a pilot becomes more experienced, he is sure to learn a little bit more about controlling a BattleMech as well as what to look out for. Now imagine if we apply this to the pilot’s situational awareness. A module could be implemented that plays off of this notion and increases the range of the pilot’s Anti-Missile System because he’s more aware of what to look out for. It’s like his mental/physical skills are embedded into a circuit in the form of a module, so the neurohelmet interface can take over, allowing the pilot to concentrate on other things. Neat huh?</P>

:/ so you are actually making levels improve the equipment.....that is not neat at all in my opinion. whos to say that a certain pilot will pick up on queues of incoming missiles quicker than another....actually, you can by putting it in the controls. how about missiles that come from an angle not seen by any pilot? suddenly they get shot down more because you are a higher imaginary level? also, you do realize that everybody will be max level shortly anyway right? at the very least concentrate much more on balancing the end game so that turns out right.

When we design a Module, we try to stay away from interfering with historical/canon abilities of the pilot/Mech but there are some cross over designs that may contradict this. An example would be what our modules may do that normally requires a C3 unit equipped to a BattleMech. Or maybe they won’t! ;)

and suddenly your mech is lighter just because of your experience. see comments above.

All players will be able to view the BattleGrid. Those with commander abilities will be able to issue orders through it, as well as receive more detailed information.

im not sure if "ability" here refers to a mech pod, experience based tree, or both. if pod: if base mechs can communicate and send distress signals etc, it doesnt make much sense in my opinion to take up a whole slot of other gear just to be able to command. also, just for game play reasons, i want people who want to command to not have to give up some actual ability of their mech. if ability: i dont want people giving up real skills for the chance at commanding, so i would hate to see this as part of an experience tree again. this is coming from someone that has no intention of ever commanding.

There will be no free roaming spectator mode. Dead players will likely see their destroyed ’Mech for a few seconds and then be able to cycle through the viewpoints of their living allies.
We’re very aware and concerned about spectator mode giving teams using Teamspeak like communications and advantage. More than likely we only allow spectators to view what the current target view (pilot) can see.

there have been questions from others, and concern from me, on just being able to communicate what killed you. that is enough to make a difference a lot of times. i would point to how i think i remember the old socom no respawns working....split the game based chat into two channels, dead and not dead, or with ejection in place...in mech and not in a mech. if you have a decent chat system in game, i doubt many will go around it to a third party team speak to get this minimal an advantage.

Most orders will only be able to be placed by those pilots who have invested in commander modules. The exception is that everyone will be able to issue basic commands such as “Help me! I’m under attack!” to all allies, and these will show up similar to orders from commanders.

thought i read the module thing....see comments above about commander modules taking up slots.

Can you tell us how many "tech-trees" are available for the pilots, if you have to upgrade the pilots to get special modules. –Grayson Pryde

Right now there are 3, but that may or may not change at launch.
More details about the pilot trees will be revealed during Role Warfare month.

please please please make them all purchasable by the same player with enough xp, and not a super crazy more amount of xp than just building up the 3 paths separately. why? because mech warrior is all about customizing mechs, and picking the right tool for the job in all aspects. if your character is permanently limited out of some roles, it limits the replayablitiy, the versatility of games you can be and feel fully effective in, and the flexibility you are willing to have with random groups.

The satellite scan will be like a radar sweep of the map, revealing information about enemy positions, but this information will quickly decay. We have not yet decided if or how a ’Mech can escape detection (other than taking shelter in a covered area like a cave) but there will likely be methods of doing so. This is more likely to be true if we implement different kinds of satellite sweeps (i.e. thermal, magnetic, etc.).

i said this in another post, but please dont make this easy. like you have to own the well established base being attacked, or other significant reasoning. if a module on your mech can do it, it is way way too powerful, even if limited duration and any other trades you want to throw at it. UAV that you are basically leaving yourself open to pilot, are basically like this, but with enough of a downside, and enough limitations on visibility and ample risk to make it a reasonable trade off on both sides of it.

Edited by statler, 18 January 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#64 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

statler,

I think you're reading into... well... actually I'm not sure what you're reading into. Suffice it to say, you're way off base with your assumptions and thoughts of how the game mechanics work. Unfortunately, that's the result of not being able to tell everyone the direct specifics of the Module system. We do these information releases so you know what to expect in a broad sense so when you get to set your foot into a MWO BattleMech, you'll be semi-at home instead of a deer in headlights.

Just stay tuned and more will come to light as we release more information.

-Paul

#65 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 18 January 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

statler,

I think you're reading into... well... actually I'm not sure what you're reading into. Suffice it to say, you're way off base with your assumptions and thoughts of how the game mechanics work. Unfortunately, that's the result of not being able to tell everyone the direct specifics of the Module system. We do these information releases so you know what to expect in a broad sense so when you get to set your foot into a MWO BattleMech, you'll be semi-at home instead of a deer in headlights.

-Paul

Well... there's a really great and easy way to handle that particular quandry... ¬_¬

*coughsAlphaReleasecoughs*

#66 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Awesome info here guys! Thanks! One of my concerns with this information is with the command modules. Will there be limits set on how many commanders are in a battle? Have one scout and then seven commanders in lrm boats or assaults just calling in strikes over and over I think would be a little over powering.

#67 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

[MATT N] Hula Girls are a cosmetic item only. However they will give you a +10 happiness boost IRL

Advanced hula girl physics are in! Yaaay!

Jokes aside, thanks guys, great bunch of info there. Looking forward to more details on electronic warfare.

#68 statler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

statler,

-Paul

if most/all of those concerns are unfounded and off base, well awesome. much of the wording leads me to think that a lot is still a bit up in the air, so trying to be constructive = criticism and concern in the hopes that you might not have considered one of these in the planning process. in agreement or not. anyway, hope the tone isnt too harsh.

Edited by statler, 18 January 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#69 Win44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCT, USA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

statler,

-Paul

Good catch Paul, I think the information releases are a great way to feed the fan base and bring the community with you through the development. Unfortunately I have to admit I'm fighting the same troll instinct as statler. In that I'm reading every post with such a rabid curiosity that it becomes easy to infer or guess at the picture behind the curtain. That's not a knock on you guys though, love what you're doing!

View Poststatler, on 18 January 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

if most/all of those concerns are unfounded and off base, well awesome. much of the wording leads me to think that a lot is still a bit up in the air, so trying to be constructive = criticism and concern in the hopes that you might not have considered one of these in the planning process. in agreement or not. anyway, hope the tone isnt too harsh.

Statler, the game is being developed before our very eyes. It's hard not to get worked up about it and I know where your coming from. I've been guilty of it myself. By all means be constructive but we all have to try not to assume we know the whole construction when we are being shown mere pieces.

#70 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Just a heads up that podcast #11 has been recorded and the special thing is in it close to the beginning so keep your eyes on our site for it to go up sometime tomorrow! (hopefully!)

#71 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Now that we know that the game is single spawn/match, the real question is, what is there to prevent it every map from turning into an epic camp fest?

I'm worried we are going to have a dozen assault players for every light. No one wants to go out and search for the enemy, for its safer to hide behind hills waiting for the enemy to come to them.

#72 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Cattra posted that at 12:01 am on Thursday morning . Does he mean we have to wait till Friday ? Is *HE* Trolling us now too ? Aaaaggg Paul has gotten to them too! He's a unstoppable Trolling force!

;)

Thanks guys , can't wait

#73 LazyDayz

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

how do i play?

#74 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostLazyDayz, on 18 January 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

how do i play?

The game is not out yet, my good sir. Its estimated to release some time this summer.

#75 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

Q: Do factions have access to unique mechs or weapons?

A: No. Prices may vary, but everyone has equal access to items.

Thats good to hear. But does it mean that you will not introduce mechs that are in canon limited to a faction or unit (for example Albatross, MenShen, Toyama, etc.)?

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 19 January 2012 - 02:44 AM.

#76 Pave Low

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSydney (Australia)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

Wonder other modules there are apart from Radar / Recon & Targeting?
Weapons modules? Engine Modules? Heat mngt. Modules ??

Love the direction this game is going!!

#77 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostHelmer, on 18 January 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Cattra posted that at 12:01 am on Thursday morning . Does he mean we have to wait till Friday ? Is *HE* Trolling us now too ? Aaaaggg Paul has gotten to them too! He's a unstoppable Trolling force!

;)

Thanks guys , can't wait

Probleeeeem officer? *awesomeface.jpg*

No but in all seriousness, our over seas drinking engineer is working to get it up ASAP and hopefully tonight.

#78 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostLazyDayz, on 18 January 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

how do i play?

Wait until summer..

OR

Be like a few of us and bug the crap out of the Devs until they give you a Closed Alpha invite.. (Which BTW from the looks of it hasn't worked yet ;), but it hasn't kept us from trying )

Edited by Chuckie, 19 January 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#79 Redburn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

Retorical Response.....

MODULES:
So, I'm sitting in my mech and on the left console is a panel called "Modules".  There are 'x' number of slots depending on the mech.  As I traverse the "pilot tech tree" in skill levels, I have the opportunity to "acquire" modules that can plug into those slots.  I see these modules as something akin to SIM cards (like what I use in my camera...), each containing additional programming that has recorded my "learned-additional skill" experience.  These SIM modules enhance and translate the learned pilot skill into functions (programming) that can be used by the mech to augment existing systems and reduce pilot workload.  Kool.  I'm in with that.  It bridges the gap between my pilot skills and my mech capabilities - as both will have XP.

BATTTLEGRID:
So, you Mechwarriors out there who "run" your House/Merc Units and 'say' your the "Commander", are going to have to 'step it up' in the pilot tech tree skill training areas and achieve the in-game "Commander" skills to support your position.  That's Kool too; though, I see some bruised ego's when the so-called House/Merc Unit "Commander" can't complete the "commander tech tree" and someone else (heaven forbid, a lowly mechwarrior) is able to do just that and get the responsibility in-game.  I see this going hand in hand with Role Warfare......

BASIC COMMANDS:
I see a long list of "Wingman" commands bound to keystrokes....time to fire up the Touchbuddy software and do some touchscreen layouts and dig out those Thrustmaster MFD's for additional programmable keys.

PILOT TECH TREES:
Just 3?  I can think of a half dozen just off the top of my head....

FACTION MECHS AND COMPONENTS:
That's good news.  That DRAGON might only cost 2.5M C-Bills for the Dracs, but cost 3.25M C-Bills for the Fedscum....

SATELITE/RADAR:
Ooooooo...... Caves!  I thought I spotted what looked like caves in that "Winter Scenery" artwork.

MAP RELATED INTEL:
"Location objectives".... Mission goals...not just mech slugfests/matches - more confirmation.

Great stuff guys.....really starting to grasp the picture.....

#80 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

They mentioned protomechs...sorry guys...
Posted Image

edit: yes I realize the irony of that coming from a Jaguar, but those were horrible.

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 19 January 2012 - 08:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users