Your history as a Mechwarrior player.

129 replies to this topic

#21 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

I don't know why a lot of MW4 players call MW4 a FPS(first person shooter). To me it's a simulator. Try to imagine a flight simulator that has like a ton of controls but instead you're in a battle tank that walks instead of rolls. Joystick/throddle kits are common for MW players. I've almost always played with a combination of a joystick and a keyboard myself.

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 20 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#22 Rabbit Blacksun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 664 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAround the world ...

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

umm... all of the mw games ...
plus robotech
and BT table top
plus the only offline games as well.

So yeah i been hooked for almost 25 yrs much to my fathers aggrevation when i killed his TT figures for some game i was playing XD

still play most of them ... though not its down to an emulator so i can run cresent hawk and CH revenge T.T

#23 Jane Curlile

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

It's all my husbands fault.

I'm a roleplayer. D&D, Pathfinder, Deadlands, Star (Wars or Trek, I go both ways), and Vampire were (and are) part of my life. It's where I met the fella anyways. So first he puts me in the seat of an X-wing (Xwing vs Tie fighter) and made me good at it. Then he pulled out Mech 3.

It wasn't until Mech 4 that the lan parties started and my love of roleplaying and blowing stuff up got married.

We roleplayed being a stable of pilots on Solaris. So we'd have the paper characters, but when it got time for the matches we all scrambled to our machines and let the games begin!

Rhinehart here is the one I'm wed too, btw. I'm sad that this will just be fighting without any rpg component but I'll live. That's what the headset is for.

#24 Bostaf

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Starting playing when Mechwarrior 2 came out, seen the pics on the box and thought what the hell i'll try it out, and couldn't turn it off. Never got 3, but played mechcommander 1 and 2. Got MW4 mercs as soon as it came out and started playing a little online.

Not been near any MW stuff in the last few years until I started playing playing mechcommander 2 at the start of the year for some reason, and started lamenting over the fun I had with MW2 and found the free download of MW4 mercs, then found this forum which has re-ignited my love for MW. Now reading the novels and can't wait to try MWO!

#25 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Old school here. Played Btech since 87 or so...also Mechwarrior RPG. I Dont do any of that anymore (aside from buying the books and etc to stay current) but thats what introduced me to the world of btech.

As far a PC games and etc, I started out playing Mechwarrior by Activision on my brothers IBM PS2 and was hooked. I then found out about MPBT on the old GEnie dial-up service which was by far the best Mechwarrior/Btech "Universe" game to date. Played all of the Mechwarrior PC games after that. not much MWLL play or MechTek as I dont have the PC to do so. I will make sure that I will have enough PC for MWO though <EG>

#26 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Started on MPBT a long time ago .........in a galaxy far far away.......lol

#27 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am 19, and was initiated into MechWarrior at a summer camp wen I was 9, A friend I made there just so happened to have these cool miniatures and a MechWarrior: Dark Age novel novel sporting 'Mechs in fierce combat on the front. Unsurprisingly, I was mesmerized. I still remember the majority of the 3-way battle we fought on the floor of the dorm with his miniatures. I remember Marksman and Behemoth II tanks, Pegasus, J110 Recovery Vehicles and laser and missile fire filling my imagination. After I managed to bring down his 'Unique' Jupiter with my tank supported Shockwave, I was hooked (the game never finished, as he claimed to have a "headache" when his previously-undefeated Jupiter fell). Soon after, I began buying my own small collection of miniatures with the pathetic amounts of money I could save up, blowing everything I had on a Starter set and Death From Above boosters. I remember my disappointment of opening one of my booster packs, eager to get my hands on the swarms of assault and heavy Battlemechs in my mind... and pulling out a Koshi. Hahaha I think I nearly cried! But since then, my love of everything MechWarrior has driven me to buy some 20+ novels, more miniatures, MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, and (unfortunately) Mech Assault 2. Over the past 10 years, I do not know how many days or weeks I have thrown into Mercs, but I know it was enough to become highly proficient at the controls of Battlemechs!

I look forward to meeting you all on the field of battle, in the name of glorious combat. Long live Clan Wolf, and good luck Freebirth scum!

#28 Vincent Hall

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

MechWarrior2: 31st Century Combat - played and beat (both sides) when I was younger
MechWarrior2: Mercenaries - played but I don't think i beat it until I replayed it again when I was older, I did instant action a LOT as a kid
MechWarrior2: Ghost Bears Legacy - played this one the most but never beat due to that underwater level (you know the one)
MechWarrior3 - Played about half the campain but this was the first I could play online and I could not stop playing in online for months and months.
MechCommander - Played and managed to somehow beat this when I was younger
MechWarrior4 - Did not care much for vengeance and black knight, but I played through the Mercenaries campain a bunch
MechAssault - I know I played and beat it but i dont remember much of it.
MechAssault2 - Forced myself to play through it once and never touched it again.
MechCommander2 - Destroyed it many times, was fun but nowhere near as hard as the first
MechCommander Gold - Didn't really get a chance to play it till it went free, then I did and managed to beat it...Barely.

#29 Max Power

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSmall haven of semi-sanity in the bible belt

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

I've played pretty much everything on the pc since MW2, including mech paks:

MW2
MW2: Ghostbear
MW2: Mercs
MW3
MW3: Pirates Moon
MW4:
MW4: Black Knight
MW4: Mercs
MechCommander 1 & 2
MechAssault 1 & 2 (xbox)

Neverplayed the paper game.

I played online for 3&4. I didn't like how one of them, I forget which, just turned into a battle of jumping LRM boats. That was kinda boring.

In a previous thread, I saw someone talking about "lag-shooting" - wow, haven't heard that phrase in ages.

I liked the one where you could load up explosives and blow yourself up to cause damage.

Edited by Max Power, 24 January 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#30 Spot

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

MW3 was the first game i ever played. love it to death....

#31 Arbalister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostBigMo5, on 20 January 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

BattleTech Table Top(still to this day, My Oldest Daughter, and son both love it)

MW1(yes i'm that old) No online play, just single player.

Ditto. And everthing since. I beta tested everything Microsoft produced, including MechCommander. If you want a hoot, sometime, see if you can get MechWarrior (1) to fire up on a more modern computer...I did about 10 years ago. :-P Locusts move so fast you can't see 'em long enough to target them... :-p Hehehehe

#32 Rhinehart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

"It's all my husbands fault."

"Yes, I'm a chick. Yes, I like to blow things up. And oh yes, I'm already married."

Hehe, That's my girl!

With me I can remember a friday night after the high school football game when me and my best friend (A fellow Band Geek) installed MW2 on to his then brand new computer. From the first few moments of the opening movie we were hooked! that led to the novels, and all the rest of the video games. Down through the years we have both played every MW title that ever came out. Watching the opening movie has become a ritual between us that gets discussed back and forth even though we live a little further away than a bike ride these days. More and more friends of ours were interested and that set the stage for some truly epic LAN parties. When my wife got involved it just added an even better layer of icing to the cake that is Mechwarrior.

To this day, its the quotes from the opening movies for each game that still resonate with me...

"He's got a lock on me! He's got a lock on me!"-MW2

"Kodiak, Jag Base! Kodiak!"-MW 2 GBL

"Look at it this way, kid. You get to keep all the money."-MW2 Mercs

"Die, Clanner!"-MW3

"Susie Ryan calls me her Scourge against the Davions. Time to live up to that name."-MW3 PM (From in game brief since sadly PM did not feature it's own movie opening)

"Any recieving unit this is Sigma Lead. I have contact with main enemy force inside the Palace Grounds. I'll delay them here as long as I can..."-MW4 Vengeance

"Got a big problem on your hands? Hire a big solution!"-MW4 Black Knight

"For some it was a time of tremendous sadness and loss. For others, it was a time of great oppportunity!"-MW4 Mercs

#33 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostKhalin Frost, on 20 January 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Islamic scum burn like any one else but they think it sends them to heaven...until they feal the HEAT. ROFLOL **** yeah.

Ever kill an Arab? Well its easy, just imagine what he would do to your sister if you weren't there to stop him. POW, end of Arab scum.

ehh... thx for the randomly inserted islamic/arab hate?

Edited by =Outlaw=, 24 January 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#34 Trireaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep space...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

@Jane: I read your signature and too bad you're married. Well good for you but bad for me :)
Ontopic: I remember playing MechWarrior at the bowling alley when I was young on the big arcade machine. Good times. But otherwise, I really have not played it up until last weekend.

And at Khalin: GTFO. You and your racist slurs are not wanted here. How would YOU like it if people slandered and offended your religion/way of life just because they thought you looked funny/had different beliefs/whatever the f*** else they feel like? Yeah.

Edited by Trireaper, 24 January 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#35 Graphite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

My BT computer game history started with MechForce (1990? I forget the exact year) on my Amiga 500. Loved playing, and loved designing even more.

Since then I've played every DOS/Wiindows BT game I could get my hands on: Mechwars, the Crescent Hawk games, BT 3025, all the MW games (except Black Knight), MC 1 and 2.

These days I play MW:LL (can't believe more MW players don't know about it) and MegaMek (the computer version of the TT game).

#36 Graphite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostTrireaper, on 24 January 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

And at Khalin: GTFO. You and your racist slurs are not wanted here. How would YOU like it if people slandered and offended your religion/way of life just because they thought you looked funny/had different beliefs/whatever the f*** else they feel like? Yeah.

Yep. And take XxDRxDEATHxX with you (he "liked" the racist post).

#37 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

My 1st experience was with BattleTech for the Sega Genesis, My stepsister at the time then told me, "There's a version of this game called MechWarrior where your inside the cockpit and fighting the other Mechs like this, but, you can fall over if your not careful and they can blow your legs and arms off.
I went wide-eyed in awe. I continued playing that game till I saw Mechwarrior 2 in the store and recognizing the mech from the Sega game I begged my dad's GF at the time to get it for me and she did. (I was 9 at the time. 26 now) but, it came with one condition it had to stay at my dad's house as he was the only one who had a Computer and I saw him on weekends. I remember installing it and waiting patiently, the splash music going with the dun dun dun DUH dun dun dun.

Well, it was installed and the intro movie began. I got a chill down my spine not the bad one the epic holy crap this is awesome already one.

So, I load into the game and play around with the menu look at the Mechs etc. I remember loving the Storm Crow and was kinda miffed I couldn't use the Timber Wolf right away (I had no concept of the clans past the fact that it was Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon the IS I didn't find out about till much later) So I drop in and I hear the Mech's computer greet me with the ambient temperature with was 82.6 degrees and the time was 21:23. I had the placard right in front of me and was ready to go, I had no concept of torso twisting but, I used JJ's to quick turn the mech and just the arrow keys. I beat ther first mission and all I felt was pure awe for what I had just done. The footsteps of the mech, the music, the weapons, it was all perfect to me.

This also prompted me to pick up the CCG of Battletech but, that is another story for another time.

So fast foward a couple of years I see beta Screenies of MW3 in PC gamer with the Radar like a holographic layout in the botton of the Hud and it was in the cockpit of a Summoner I got excited immediatly, My dad and I were in Circuit City and Tiberian Sun had just came out and I saw the Timberwolf on the box that read MECHWARRIOR 3 in machine style letters with blood red trim. I ran over and looked at my dad. I asked him "Dad! DAD! Check this out! Look they released a sequel to Mech2! Can I get it Please?!" My dad was a huge flight sim buff (We play Battlefield 3 together) and he looked at it and looked at me while I was reading the box, and grabbed the game from me. (was 13 at the time) He looks at me and time just stopped the moment stretched into infinity. He looks at me and goes "Yes but, I'm playing my game first and you can play when I go on shift." He was a cop at the time. (He also played games at work too I remember him getting in trouble for playing Doom and Duke Nukem at work then the flight sim games lol)

So I install it and watch the opening info I caught my first sight of the Atlas in the intro and was like I want to pilot THAT! I still had no concept that the board game existed. Well I played the single player game and signed up for the MSN gaming zone under the name Dragonbrand. Joined a Clan name Clan Mighty Lion on the zone. I remember Savages and a few others. (I miss shogun from CFM in MW4:Mercs) and I wasn't very good but, I always piloted a sunburst red Diashi or Madcat.

Had no concept of lag shooting and I sucked badly but, I had too much fun to care. (I primarily used missiles and loved pulse lasers) Again I didn't torso twist and thought I could do it like 2 which in the campaign I did lol. I think back and wonder how noobish and stupid I was but, hey I was a kid and I was having a blast.

I then got Mechcommander less than a year later. Bought it with my own money and everything. I was excited and I still rate that in my top ten games of all time.

I still didn't use the net too much at that point, and I see MW4 in the store and look at my stepdad. It was around Christmas time and I was actually looking for Dreamcast games. Specifically Ecco the Dolphin which I rate as hard if not harder than Ninja Gaiden. but, anyway I get MW4 for Christmas (15 at this point) and I play it endlessly on my Emachines computer at the time. I loved the game and fell in love with the Bushwacker and the Madcat mk2 I was also a big fan of the Uziel and by this point had begun to understand the BattleTech Universe somewhat and declaring myself a Clanner at this point in time. (Once I discovered the joy of autocannons and ballistics I quickly jumped to Davion.) Also bought the Jade Phoenix trilogy around this time.

I skipped BK to buy the 4-packs for the IS and Clans and read about mercs coming out soon. I remember reading the review on one now defunct gaming site and it throughly ******* me off cause the reviewer stated,with the lead off. I don't like Mechwarrior.

So I got that as well just to spite the reviewer by supporting the game with my cash. Did he care probably not but, I was miffed and thought somehow in my own inflated sense of importance when I was a teenager that it would matter.

My first taste of competitive play was in '03
It was 2003 and a friend who I played on the MSN gaming zone with ( Callsign :Eagle) recruited me over to MWL and I got pulled into a Tryout for a unit called The Midnight Sons. We as a unit took the top positions and had an incredible record of overall 175/56. they took me in and my tryout was in stock Vultures with no radar and pea soup fog on oilspill. I won that battle and have stuck with em ever since. I sucked hardcore at first but, they trained me etc.

Got into DarkAge 1st then the tabletop later. I don't often have time for "Battletech" though I do play the quick strike heavily and am awaiting 3058 Quick strike unit cards. Anyway that was my experience with MW so far and I hope to have a lot more as we progress into MWO.

#38 Trireaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep space...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Nice novel there Werewolf... Reminds me of when I found this site :)

#39 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Well I'm generally very passionate about Mechwarrior and 40K. I used to write Battletech short stories detailing engagements from our MWL matches. Most of those have been lost to time. I do imagine it'll pick back up once MWO launches.

#40 Trireaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep space...

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

You should bring some back from the grave and post them on here.. I'm sure they're very interesting reads. And I LOVE 40k... It's been forever since I've played though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users