Clan honor and gameplay

32 replies to this topic

#21 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

The Clans where at a disadvantage from the start due to tactics, even with their greater tech and numbers, but that's a discussion fro another thread!

#22 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

I would agree with this. It will make Clans being able to be conon, yet ballanced. At least during the first year of the invasion. After some months, honor should be less and less needed and will be just a matter of the BEST Clan mechs (Timber Wolf?), because they wont stand a chance against IS with their tech.

#23 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

View Postbeaker, on 02 November 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

The thting with Clan v IS battles is that group combat favours the IS teams. Absolutely no rules against multiple mechs targeting a single enemy. No qualms about hitting parts of the mech some people would consider Dishonourable etc.

As a Merc, and if there are increased chances of salvage I'll be be legging and headshotting as much as is practical.

There are no dishonorable parts, that rules of engagement list floating around on the internet is never mentioned in any of the sourcebooks that I own. Everything goes with the possible exception of DFA tactics

I'll still prefer a one on one battle, but i'll return fire if a third mech fires upon me.

#24 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm really not having high hopes the devs will FORCE RP clan honor on players. However, there's nothing to stop the "clans" of players from "annihilating" Clan "units" that do not adhere to Zellbrigen

Who doesn't like some clan on clan Trial of Annihilation :)

#25 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

I think realistically, that if/when the Clans are introduced as playable, the only changes to the game will be the influx of ER lasers, lighter ballistics, and OmniMech. Making a separate way of playing solely to be in Clan would probably end up being too much work for too little pay off, and you'll have those players who were all hot to play Clan mech not being able to adapt their play style to Zell.

Just my two cents.

#26 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

View PostSkoll-, on 02 November 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

you'll have those players who were all hot to play Clan mech not being able to adapt their play style to Zell.

which i beleive is the entire point. in the boardgame, zell is one of the ways you balance the powerful nature of clan tech. Bv is the other, but battlevalue limits would be harder to impliment than a rewards and penalties system for player behavior.

if the clan guns and mechs come connected to the clan honor system, you can prevent abuse by greifer's and those who gravitate to clan mechs to make up for a lack of talent.

Edited by mithril coyote, 02 November 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#27 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

The only way clan tech is going to work if playable is with a hard-coded weight handicap. When it's a matter of winning or losing, honour goes out the window.

#28 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

View Postmithril coyote, on 02 November 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

which i beleive is the entire point. in the boardgame, zell is one of the ways you balance the powerful nature of clan tech. Bv is the other, but battlevalue limits would be harder to impliment than a rewards and penalties system for player behavior.

if the clan guns and mechs come connected to the clan honor system, you can prevent abuse by greifer's and those who gravitate to clan mechs to make up for a lack of talent.

I see and accept your point, but I'm saying that this more than likely won't happen because if this game picks up, the "casual gamer" (I say that ironically) is going to want to be able to just jump into a Clan mech and start kicking ***. Yes, a balance must be met between the core fans and the main breadbasket demographic, but to look at it realistically things will probably slant in a casual favor when it comes to things like Clan honor. I expect a very minor system or none at all.

#29 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Poststormwolf, on 02 November 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

It's quiaff.

MW2 already had a honor system, it could also deduce wether or not you were responsible for a direct kill.

Anyway, you should really read this article by deathshadow to know what it means to be a Clan warrior:

Some very nice views in there, And personaly I would like nothing better than to immerse myself in a Clan reality.
However, no where in that txt does it lay out an Honor code or show quotes from Canon sources.

The way of the Clans
If you think Kill, you will Kill.
If you have a boot, you crush your enemy.
If you have a hand, you strangle your enemy.
If you have a club, you bludgeon the attacker.
If you have a knife, you stab at your foe.
If you have a gun, you shoot it.
If you have a tank, you roll it over the opposing ranks.
If you have an aerofighter, you bomb them.
If you have a mech, you win.
You are always the victor.
When the blood is spilled, the bloodname is earned.
We are the Clan.

The above passage speaks volumes, and spells out that clan warriors are not prepared for failure. "You are always the victor."
All I read from this is that the mindset of a Clansman is one of endeavour , regardless of the odds faced You do not give up.
That the Honor is in the commitment , and that the commitment is to the furtherment of the Clan.

I particularily enjoyed the George Patton Quote it made me smile.

It kind of cancels out a lot of the Arguement for the Clan Style of Honor . Patton makes it clear that he expects there will be losses but he also makes it clear that he wants to Win the Battle regardless of the costs.

It is ironic how many posts on this subject that I have read and participated in over the years.

Honor should be kept in the Forum, within the clan and should not spill out onto the Battlefield. Unless we are fighting other Clans ! Then we can adhere to our Lore and customs

I have no issues at all with a bidding system for the right to drop into a Battlefield, If I find myself out numbered even better for rest assured I will Fight until we are victorious or dead.

This brings me to another point.

In the whole of the Battletech universe it is Acknowledged that the Clans have Superior Weapons... Yet constantly we have a persistent high pitched whine from the Freeborn IS that its not fair! They want the developers to make it more even , they want it impossible for us to use our lasers in battle.... When in Battle we will often be outnumbered in fighters and weight.

In the context of this timeline It would appear that The clans have put aside their squabbles for the moment and have decided to move on the IS. Putting that into context, there is no question about Honor as the Freeborn have no ownership of the Clan ideology and so it is a straight forward war of Attrition, exactly the point that Patton was making.

Our views on the game may differ, but the love of the game give us a common bond.

~S~ and dare i say it, quiaff.

#30 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I would definitely be for a certain honor system. This a RPG game after all, and your pilot should have a reputation based on his actions. The reputation (or honor points) should be a public stat that everyone else can see. Dishonorable players would quickly be flagged that way. As for what benefits or advantages a honorable reputation gives you, I don't know. I do like the idea of restricting certain Mech classes, models or equipment unlocks to certain honor levels however.

+1

#31 IS Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

View Postmithril coyote, on 01 November 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

my suggestion would be to put a penalty to any character who fires on a target already in a duel with someone else...with the person interfering not getting any honor from the kill, and the person in the duel receiving a reduced amount based on the amount of damage inflicted, not the nature of the target.

Only problem with that is, if Pilot A is dueling Pilot B and hits Pilot C, then according to Zellbrigen, than Pilot C is allowed to fight back, so why should s/he then be penalized?

Then indeed there is the issue of Zellbrigen being cancelled, if the other party decides to gang up.
So in the above situation, if B and C are Inner Sphere pilots and they both hit Pilot A who is Clan, even though Pilot A only challenged Pilot B, and did not hit Pilot C. Then Pilot D, who is a starmate of Pilot A could fire upon both.

Then again, I am a Wolf, and we are more flexible in matters like this.

#32 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBroken Wheel Federated Commonwealth

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

ok after being Beta for a while how i am come to the conclusion that there is No way to follow the Clan Rules on Engagement!!!
have drop with a few friends and it is all about Mass Firepower on one target.

#33 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

there is no such thing as a kill steal, you must be referring to an addition to your teams over all kills. this isn't a free for all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users