Thank you, Gray Death Legion

5 replies to this topic

#1 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

A little shout out to the mercenary Gray Death Legion for their most generous donation of the Memory Core found on Helm. Without the information contained within, I don’t think we’d have any chance against the Clans in the coming years. Sure, our Star League era ‘found tech’ may not be on par with the more compact, effective or efficient Clan weapons and technology, but we’d be up the creek without a paddle had fate not intervened.

Now, instead of, “Hey, what the heck was that silver ball thingy that just smashed through Jimmy’s cockpit!?” we’ll be able to say stuff like, “Look out… that little Clan Mech has a gauss rifle!”
------
On a side note, it always bothered me in the novels that the Legion wasn’t showered with C-Bills after making sure each House had access to the Memory Core. Think of all the money weapons manufacturers and medical companies made from those advances in technology. Funny how their treatment in the canon sort of reflects the world today.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 24 January 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#2 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Totally agree, the least the Great Houses could of done was have a massive whip around for them or even a tiny percentage of the profits. Would of been the decent thing to do.

#3 Ross McKinnon

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Grayson was a great leader of men. He single handedly made a mercenary unit out of the scraps of his father destroyed command.
He used what was given to overcome the worst odds and come out ahead.

That being said, the novels pictured him exactly the way he was potrayed in there handbook. There was a total of 6 books written about the Grey Death Legion. The first 3 are the begining of how The Grey Death Legion came to be, the next two during the Clan war, and the last the total destruction of the Grey Death Legion .

Grayson Carlyle was a man that didn't not want to see the Inner Sphere fall further into a dark age. So he decided one way to do that was to give copies of the memory core to whoever wanted it.

Don't forget he was given the Planet of Glengary by Hanse Davion. Thats not some chump change there.

#4 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostRoss McKinnon, on 26 January 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Don't forget he was given the Planet of Glengary by Hanse Davion. Thats not some chump change there.

Very true, at least one House leader had the common sense to see what massive benefit the Memory Core was to the Inner Sphere economy. It could also be argued that Glengary is a very strategic planet, and having the Grey Death Legion stationed there, an Elite Regiment, was of extreme tactical advantage.

I just sort of get the feeling that company after company got their hands on the information within the memory core and slapped Carlyle on the back, "Thanks, buddy! My company is going to make millions of C-Bills off this lost technology!! Hey, can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hey, Grey Death Legion, I have an idea for you: Why not snag a nice, safe security job at Defiance? Nobody has ever taken that facility by force, and I'm sure nobody ever will... so you should be just fine.

#6 Ross McKinnon

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

That was how Grayson was protrayed. He didn't want the Inner Sphere to fall even farther from the Star League. It never stated exactly what was contained in the Helm Core in the books. It only mentioned the scientific aspects of what was in the core. If I remember correctly one of the things was getting more milk from cows. I might be wrong...It's been a while since I last read my battletech books.

So to Grayson it was a gift for all man kind to have. Not just one person. He wasn't in it to make money from it. It is his way to better man during the dark time after the Star League.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users