Single Player Campaign?

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Campaign (484 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Single Player Campaign?

1. Voted Yes, I would pay for an expansion. (337 votes [61.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.38%

2. Yes, but I expect the story to be built into the F2P game itself. (126 votes [22.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.95%

3. No, I am uninterested in single player. (58 votes [10.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.56%

4. Voted Other, specify in post. (28 votes [5.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostChou Senwan, on 14 September 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

{Repost from reddit.}
  • Date: 13 August 3007
  • System: New Valencia
  • Unit: McCarron's Armored Cavalry (mercenary, in employ of House Liao)
  • Target: Wolf's Dragoons (mercenary, in employ of House Davion)
The blue-green disk of the planet New Valencia floats in a black field of stars. A horizontal slice of light cuts across the scene in the foreground, then with a loud bass thrum it expands vertically, rasterizing into a massive Monolith-class jumpship. Eight dropships sit attached to its surface, and their lights flicker on as they power up after the jump.

We cut close to one of those dropships, Leopard class, showcasing the logo of McCarron's Armored Cavalry and the name Ironshod.

{Radio Chatter}

Jumpship Captain: Jump was a success. We are at L1 pirate point between target and its moon, distance . . . Sh*t. Forget what I just said about a successful jump. We missed the gravitational trough. Orbit is not stable. Check systems for damage and detach dropships ASAP. We're about to pull some high-G maneuvers, and your stomach's not gonna like it.

We cut to the Ironshod's interior. Fluorescent overhead lamps flicker and yellow alarm bulbs flash in a narrow hallway, at once high-tech and run-down, with patches of rust and missing panels revealing exposed wiring.

{{More radio chatter, most of it faded out as other dropships report in. Then we hear, loud and clear:}}

Dropship Captain: Dropship Ironshod reporting. Detach in five. Looks like we took some shearing. Cutting non-essential power. Hull integrity good, but keep your space suits on, just in case. Mechwarriors, load up and check for gremlins, because we're on the clock.

In the hallway, the lights go out except for flashing yellow hazards. A door opens, dark inside, and a figure climbs out at a weird angle. We realize this is zero-gravity as he grabs onto ladder rungs set into the wall. He's dressed in a light space suit and neurohelmet. Two more clamber out after him, and then the guy at the rear waves into the room.

Lancemate 2: "Dammit, private! How the hell did you fall asleep during a jump? Get in your mech!"

Then you crawl out, and we cut to a first person view as you pull yourself along the wall, down a short hallway, and through a heavy pressure door. You look up into a dark hangar, and then spot-lights snap on, illuminating four mechs clamped into place: Jenner, Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and Hunchback. A digital countdown clock glows a bright orange, ticking down from 4:22.

You see your sergeant and your two lance-mates crawling along the walls to their mechs.

A voice calls out, "Sergeant, we got a problem!" and everyone turns to see a techie in a yellow space-suit, his feet in stirrups to keep from drifting away from the computer panel he's operating. The sergeant climbs over to him, and you come up behind them.

"Power surge hit your Shadow Hawk, sarge," says the techie. "Looks like it knocked out the radio transmitter and most of the command console."

"What?" the sergeant yells. "How the hell am I supposed to communicate with Command? Can you fix it?"

"Not in," he checks the countdown clock, "three and a half minutes."

"Great. Well I need a mech that works."

You turn to see the other two lance members, both raising one finger. "Not it." "Not it."

The sergeant turns and look at you. "You've volunteered, private. Take my Shadow Hawk. I'll take your dinky little Jenner. Don't go running into a bunch of enemies, don't fire every weapon at once, and don't play with my dice."

We cut to another wide shot of the jumpship as other dropships detach, two Leopard class, two Union class and three Overlord.

{More radio chatter, and finally we hear the commander of McCarron's Armored Cavalry.}

Archibald McCarron: Cavaliers, this is your Colonel Archibald McCarron. We are deep in Davion territory, inbound to New Valencia, the base of operations for Wolf's Dragoons.

He continues to talk over the radio as you reach the cockpit of the Shadow Hawk and climb inside. Through the cockpit window you can see the countdown clock at 1:28. A pair of fuzzy dice hang from the ceiling.

Archibald McCarron: I don't have to remind you about the cruel tricks the Dragoons have pulled on us these past few months, but now we're going to pay those b*st*rds back.

His voice fades into the background as your lancemates chime in.

Lancemate 1: This man has anger issues.

Sarge: Cut the chatter. Private, to turn on my mech, enter code 'Mac attack is back.'

You type in the code, and the mech starts to boot up with the classic, "Reactor, online. Sensors, online. Weapons, online." Then it adds, "All systems . . . radio offline. Other systems nominal." You flick the fuzzy dice with your fingers, then grab the control stick.

Lancemate 1: I'm just saying, this is a stupid drop.

Lancemate 2: All due respect, he's right.

Sarge: 'All due respect,' the colonel could have you shot for insubordination. Now follow the good example the private is setting, and don't say a peep.

Lancemate 1: All due respect, private's radio's out.

Sarge: Shut it. Buckle in tight. We're launching in 30.

Once again we hear the voice of McCarron over the radio as the ship's klaxons sound and it prepares to detach.

Archibald McCarron: Get prepared for a lovely two weeks of destruction and plunder. Hit 'em hard, burn down their homes, and slag any Dragoon mechs you spot. Don't get lost, because anyone still on the ground 15 days from now had better hope the Dragoon's are hiring. Stay tuned for your orders. Archibald out.

We view the dropship from outside as it detaches and thrusters fire. Within moments it's far enough from the jumpship to engage a hot burn, and it flies after the rest of the drop fleet. In the distance, more lines slice open the starry sky, as yet more jump ships arrive, preparing for a massive assault.

Then a final line slices across the whole scene, expanding into the logo: Mechwarrior: Wolves on the Border

So, the plot line goes like this:
  • Land on New Valencia, have an easy mission where you and your team take out some stationary defenses and then a lance of Urbanmechs. (You use a Shadow Hawk at first because it has every major weapon type - laser, ballistic, LRM, and SRM.) You're ordered to form up with the battalion, but along the way you're intercepted by a company of Dragoons' pilots, who defeat you. That's when we have character creation.
  • You wake up in a medical ward, see a wall calendar that says you missed your exit window, and ask if the Dragoons are hiring. Your starting rank depends on how many mechs you took out in the first mission.
Cue a years-long series of chapters as you become part of the Wolf's Dragoons and work for the different houses of the Inner Sphere. Each chapter could be released as a paid download pack, including:
  • Minor engagements while working for House Liao.
  • The Marik civil war where you get betrayed.
  • The botched assault on Hesperus II.
  • A mysterious time when you get left behind and the rest of the unit departs, then returns with fresh supplies.
  • The ongoing feud with the Waco Rangers.
  • Battling House Kurita's Second Sword of Light.
  • Joining House Kurita and eventually being forced into battle with old allies on the planet Misery.
Throughout all this, you can rise from a Mechwarrior, to a Lance Commander, Company Commander, Battalion Commander, and possibly even Regimental Colonel. And after the campaign ends, you're offered a choice to retire, start your own merc unit, or stay on with the Dragoons, in which case you're brought in on a little secret about the unit's origin. . . .

Epic.

PGI, hire this person. Or whoever wrote it originally if it's a repost. You think your little world-of-tanks knockoff is making money? Wait until you have enormous RP leagues doing months or years-long campaigns using your game (these have been with past games. Go look it up). Think of how long those RP'ers will play. The blogs they will write. The people who read those blogs, then come and try things out themselves. The friends they share stories with, and drag into the game. MWO will never die if you do this.

#62 Renthrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

If you don't mind shelling out tens of millions in $ and waiting until 2018 for the next MWO patch, then you can have single player.

It's not going to happen. PGI doesn't have enough people, and IGP doesn't have enough money to do it.

#63 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I wanted a singleplayer MW5 all along. See, I can and DO play MW4 to this day, but if PGI ever decides to shut this game down, it's gone for good. That's always a downside of pure multiplayer games.

#64 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I must admit, I'd love the see a single player campaign.
but not sure as an expansion.
it would need to be a separate game title for it to be what it needs to be.

#65 Nuke and Glow

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Almost %63 say they will pay for single player expansion. Umm thats a no brainer. Want more of my money then do this. I think I speak for yea the %63 that voted and if everyone participated in this poll I'm sure it would be %70+ easily.Thats just the people willing to pay extra without a storyline it's over %82 just for single player content. Why not give us what we ask for. PVP will get boring after awhile and if you want this game to have success you need to listen to the people playing and paying for this game.

Edited by Nuke and Glow, 28 September 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#66 Spartan Leonidus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Missouri USA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostRandomLurker, on 14 September 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

I would happily pay a full-game price (60+) for a full SP campaign. As much fun as beating people to pulp in 7 minute long bursts is, it's nothing more then that. Gimme some depth.

^^ I am tired of more mechs and more maps (only)...I love more mechs and maps...but this missing element is Co-op Online (with option for offline [reduced or no rewards for training/practice]).

#67 Morsule

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

as part of the game yes - as is, as something separate no. not sure single player element works. Story is definitely needed.

#68 GeneralGrievous

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

Developers, this has been a hot topic in our TS channel and wow, others are thinking it too!

Here's my thought, I would love co-op missions and I would even pay for them! I was thinking that you have a lance go in and fight some AI mechs, tanks, bunkers, and bases.

I think this is a key reason for popularity of games like world of warcraft (which I have never played but have observed) because they promote teams to work together towards common goals other than killing other human characters.

This would be so cool to have missions like recon, arty striking, brawling, surviving waves of enemies, etc. And each could have scaling difficulty. Maybe the AI increments up everytime you play the missions again but so does the rewards. That way it wouldn't get old and encourage evolving strategies.

Please consider this!

My girlfriend likes this game but finds competition with other players + a steep learning curve frustrating. We used to play star wars battlefront and I helped her learn the game via co-op missions. She eventually got online and placed in the top 3 all the time. This would certainly help so many new players adjust to the game!

#69 Alind Back

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Just about any form of a campaign would be fantastic, whether it be single player, co-op, or even a story driven pvp.

The main thing that I see as a stumbling block would be the fact that there is currently (seemingly) no artificial intelligence present in the game. With the introduction of turrets it would seem that they are implementing at least some form of AI, but auto-targeting is still a far cry from AI that can path around a map and make semi-intelligent actions based on the current situation.

Give PGI some time to develop some more AI systems and then we might be a fair bit closer to having a worth while PvE campaign.

Also, to those of you who have been saying "IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN SO ****!!!! >:C", never say never. There is no reason that we cannot theorize about a campaign just because it has been indefinitely delayed.

#70 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:55 AM

I would love to play all those missions from:
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2 GBL
Mechwarrior 2 Mercs
Mechwarrior 3
Mechwarrior 3 Pirates Moon
Mechwarrior 4
Mechwarrior 4 Black Knight
Mechwarrior 4 Mercs

in COOP mode! And sure I would pay to be able to revive and relive this glorious past together with some pals in MWO!

PGI please realize that this brand you got there is so much more than just a game to so many of us - it is our history, our universe, a way of life!

#71 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

A short single player campaign that introduces you too the basics would be nice.

However I don't see with the current content how you could make a engaging and satisfying single player campaign.

Without things like destructible terrain I feel a single player mode will feel bland. A good single player game needs you to feel involved and engaged with the universe it's set it. Not have that universe be a simple prop piece without interaction.

Not to mention that we don't even have a quick command list yet with things like "attack my target", "need support", "defend this position" for our current multiplayer games, things that would need to be implemented first so you can guide NPC's with them in single player.

There is just no way I can see a satisfying long campaign being made with current functions and content and I would much rather see the dev team focus on expanding our current experience then making a half baked single player.

And that doesn't mean I can't think of awesome single player settings, like the initial invasions of the clans. Like you'd first be a pilot of 1 of the houses fighting a other house and after you think you got your bearings, BOOM, clan invasion, which then can setup a arc of first being forced back while learning about clan tactics & culture and then leading up too the halt of the advance of the clans until the first counter attack as the houses start too work together against the clans. But I would like it to be well executed with carnage and mayhem all around me. This also has awesome potential too explain the ways of the Clans vs IS houses and how total war forces the clans too adept and how the IS houses are forced too rediscover lost tech, while also showing each clan and house while working together is already planning betrayal after victory to further itself, which then can explain the endless multiplayer battles of mixed units. But again, needs to be well executed in a world that feels alive, not bland and static.

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 20 August 2014 - 05:30 AM.

#72 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

To me I want the Gameplay and Story to match seamlessly together. And for god's sakes not something revolving around the Clans this time around. Why not put a story or game based in the Succession Wars or hell even The Age of War. Those have 'mechs we've never seen before (and rightly should) by the time the Succession Wars go into full swing.

I think a game should be able to stand up on Single Player alone, not with co-op or anything like that. And coming from a Mechwarrior Game, I'd expect it to be simulator like.

#73 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

i think a Campaign mode could be fun, even if implemented as a new player re-playable tutorial,
even simple AI, can be fun and Cunning with out being heavily coded, working in simple mech builds,

a story Arch like MechWarrior3 could work well in MWO,
for those who have never played this is the run down

select a mission, (Mission tab opens)
Pilot sees a map, voice tells you what you need to do, wail pointing out locations on the map,

a one or two good Writers could easily make the story immersive, interesting and suspenseful,
set in in a Solo match with a Ally Mechs that follow you, or in Co-Op 2-4 with out Ally NPCs,

Edit- Story Arch Comment,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 22 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#74 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

The developer's have stated multiple times that they will not be making a single player game. However, they love the idea if someone else wants to do it. I'm all for co-op in MWO as it is.

Playing against other humans gets dull, no matter how you dress it up these are game modes we've been playing in other games for almost 20 years.

Change the characters, change the settings but - "kill the other guys", "capture the flags (to accrue points)" and "kill the other guys OR capture their "flag" (base)" have all been around since the later days of the Quake Engine games.

Now some co-operative team based missions with objectives, that would be cool to see and wouldn't put the game into the realm of single player. Plus you could implement tactical scenarios that you would only see in mechanized combat with the capabilities of these machines.

/dreamsession

#75 Nik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Now that the publishers have left and PGI have more direct control over the game, they really should listen to the overwhelming fan demand for an truly epic single player campaign.

As Chris Roberts has shown with SC, there is a LOT of pent up demand for solid sci-fi stories in pc gaming and it would be a shame to see a franchise with a rich pedigree and history like MechWarrior to go without a modern day single player campaign.

#76 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

Well, how about a single player campaign much like the story in MW2- Mercenaries ?
Only that this campaign will be used instead of the training grounds.

You would start as a Cadet,
Learn how to pilot your mech first,
then target practice
different weapons and how they work.
heat management
using the terrain
how the 4 different weight classes feel and their advantages and disadvantages
"advanced" tactics like avoiding damage, torso-twisting and staying with your team.
Then some actual missions where you also learn how to customize your mech.

At the very end you might end up with your fist own mech . for free !
(I would vote for a Centurion or Shadowhawk,.as these two are very versatile; only one of cause, the player nees to buy the other two in oder to master the chassis.)

Would be an ideal starting point for beginners.
And if done properly, who knows, even old (but incapable) players like me could learn some new tricks ? ;)

#77 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostRenthrak, on 20 September 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

If you don't mind shelling out tens of millions in $ and waiting until 2018 for the next MWO patch, then you can have single player.

It's not going to happen. PGI doesn't have enough people, and IGP doesn't have enough money to do it.

Supposedly they had enough people to make Transverse...

#78 GadoGado

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

Not a single player campaign, may be multiplayer campaign. players against AI mechs, the campaign is an epic battle in the mech warrior story. then players will face a raid boss. if they succeed, they will received an awesome price.

#79 Demon Horde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

Actually I fore see MWO lasting as just a MP game for about ten years ... when they finally turn all the lights out on the servers i'm betting they'll take all the mech resources they've created over the last ten years run it through the "update ringer" drop the mech 3d models into Cryengine 6 or 7 (or what ever flavor) and then work on a MechWarrior 5 like they had originally planned.

You see the thing is PGI really wanted to deliver a MW5 to us, but as they started getting their hands dirty they realized their dev team just isn't big enough nor were their pockets deep enough for such a monsterous task as creating a 100+ mech game on modern art assets. So instead they funneled what they had into a game that would generate money quickly and allow them to slowly expand their team as time goes by.... thus MWO was born. That said it's still way to early for them to start whipping up a MW5 (aka single player game). They still don't have the team for it and though MWO has made them lots of extra money it's not enough to blow up their Department large enough to do a single player game. but by the time MWO servers do close, they'll have created so many mech assets single player mech warrior game will not be that bad of work load as long as they reuse what they have.

#80 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

lets see

375 votes in favour of PvE

69 against

Really the AI is the issue but AI can be used in every part of the game so enhances everything and provides more options

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users