Single Player Campaign?

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Campaign (484 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Single Player Campaign?

1. Voted Yes, I would pay for an expansion. (337 votes [61.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.38%

2. Yes, but I expect the story to be built into the F2P game itself. (126 votes [22.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.95%

3. No, I am uninterested in single player. (58 votes [10.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.56%

4. Voted Other, specify in post. (28 votes [5.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Warzog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAboard the Wildcat's Leopard dropship: The Lair

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:16 PM

With the advent of Windows 7 and beyond, none of the old BattleTech, MechWarrior, or MechCommander games are playable any more.
And as none of my friends, or my kids, who played BattleDroids, BattleTech, or even MechWarrior: Dark Age are around any more, it would be nice to play a good single player MechWarrior game again.

MechWarrior Online is okay, but it gets boring having the Community Warfare players constantly slaughtering the Public Queue folks all day, week, month, year long.

#82 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:56 AM

While a SP campaign would be nice - did you have thought about using the lobby system to create such?

currently there is a small team of players working on a "mini" campaign for 24 players using the lobby system - it should include all the stuff you want:
  • the start of a mission is depended on the outcome of the mission before
  • there are multiple mission goals
  • several mission types
  • no unlimited Mech garage
  • i can imagine that in later versions logistic can be added
Its little bit hard to use the simple "mission" goals of MWO to fit more complex aims, but never the less its possible.
I may ask the "creator" if he want to share the "rule book" it with the international community as soon as we are finished.
Of course we have to translate it first

#83 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:28 AM

Wait, people actually voted AGAINST PvE campaigns?

Holy hell!

I bet they also kick puppies...

:blink:

Edited by Vellron2005, 14 October 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#84 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 14 October 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Wait, people actually voted AGAINST PvE campaigns?

Holy hell!

I bet they also kick puppies...

:blink:

Oh you know how it is. PvE would be a waste of resources that would only detract from PvP, the only TRUE form of gaming.

#85 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

What if you could fight NPC's that acted like real players?

He already wrote that he doesnt want to fight Stupid NPCs :P ... How about NPCs that acted more intelligent than players then?

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 15 October 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#86 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

I imagine this has been said before but any PvE campaign Pgi does should be both single & co-op/4 ppl capacity.

#87 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

Taken by Malus81 in spectator mode: a PvP campaign mission: "Kill the General"

it was the second test attemp after the first try didn't worked as we thought.

The General (Jester) has to "visit" his troops - (Conquest points)
His body guards consists of 50% Assaults and 50% Heavys - (in this case 5 and 5)

The attackers/headhunters only got the clue about parts of the Generals Mech loadout.
Mainly mediums only 2 light Mechs.

After the successful strike the attacker "can withdraw" - pitty the lobby does not allow to exit a match.

Here a second video - where the attacker got the wrong target - because we only had 8vs8 this time - no spectator:

About the concept:
There are 4 options for the first mission, based on the surviving Mechs and achieved victory conditions - there could be a 2nd (Chase, Break Through Mission) or we can swap to the second stage - again 4 Missions - based on the missions before - after that another intermediate mission - finally the end game.

Of course you can add logistics and stretch the "campaign"

#88 jimmyhackers

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

hello all.

my two cents is....all F2P games have a campaign of sorts. (clash of clans,boom beach etc etc)

nearly all other games have a campaign or single player story also....

it would add to the games appeal. (it couldnt detract)

you dont have to do the whole thing at once. (the clan invansion is ongoing)

we will settle for a chapter with a few levels per couple of months or so itd be great and something for everyone to look forward to.

you already have the maps. you have the bots. a bit of programming levels, menus and getting some cheap voice acting/skype style videos for storyline.

you could add a nice salvage bonus dependant on "level effeciency" so you replay(for fun/training) a level but only get the rewards once, i.e. no re-spamming for parts xp or cbills etc. unless you want to do think "winks"

basically.....guys its really simple....PLEASE PLEASE lock you best lore/storyline geek guy in a room with you best programmer for like...2 hours a month to come up with an episode.

and damn, will the fans flock even more so : )

thanks for reading this.

cant wait for you rip off my idea and make my dreams come true

jim

#89 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

single player PvE is fine and dandy, I would abandon PvP here if it was open ended and good enough, however I have zero faith in P.G.I's ability to deliver a good enough PvE experience.

They have never made one before, and you have to look at how one dimensional the PvP is, Phase 3 the latest attempt to make something with depth, isn't going to change the fact that the main part of FW is poorly conceived and constructed.

Which is why I'd willingly try it, but based on the conception I have built over three years of being here, I would not be willing to crowd fund or pay for it, unless I could see a well constructed interesting option.

If they made it free access, with parts only accessed by paying for it, then I'd be able to test the waters and see if it was worth it or not, under the current methods, I'm not paying a penny.

Edited by Cathy, 16 April 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#90 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

I would love to see 2 things.

1. A standalone Campaign game (like the old games, or at least built into the F2P client)

and

2. A co-op 'missions' expansion to the F2P client which would allow PVE missions for up to a 'lance' (i.e. 4 players like the scouting missions) of varying difficulty and objectives (anywhere from destroy enemy force to capture and hold base, defend target, etc) that can be played for rewards (a mere fraction of what you'd get from the PVP component) and which would have restrictions such as maximum tonnage, minimums, various planet temperatures, etc.

#91 Captain Mittens

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

IMO don't waste effort on a single player campaign. All I'd do is potentially add a vs AI co-op mode similar to what most MOBAs have. Maybe make a new game mode that's like a defensive. AI mechs spawn and attack players who need to defend their base. have 3 levels of difficulty based on tonnage.

#92 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostCaptain Mittens, on 23 April 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

IMO don't waste effort on a single player campaign. All I'd do is potentially add a vs AI co-op mode similar to what most MOBAs have. Maybe make a new game mode that's like a defensive. AI mechs spawn and attack players who need to defend their base. have 3 levels of difficulty based on tonnage.

Many players would pay for an old type Mechwarrior campaign game. Even as a standalone, a SP campaign is much different than MP/Co-op.

#93 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:56 AM

a co-op campaign would be my vote. you could do it solo, with and against A.I. but also with a lance of friends.

#94 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Can I just give you a HELL YES!?
Bring us a campaign based on that amazing trailer you put on youtube way back in 2013?
I really want to be on the side of house davion during the liao invasion of the 4th succession war!

Hell you could even make them in episodes the way halo and destiny do it!
I'd fight both AI and Players at the same time if I had too! (Not sure if servers can handle that tho)

#95 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

How about 3 or 4 mission episodic content. Some Clan specific, some IS oriented, sell them for 5-10 bucks a pop and I'm sure it'd get itself afloat :D

#96 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

Campaign style play has been requested since the game started in 2012. I think this fits into recent requests criticizing faction play and requesting more/better content.

After four years, I think it is obvious, however, that PGI is never going to add a campaign. I'd love to be wrong about this. If memory serves, they seem to think the majority of the player base wants what we currently have. I'm not sure I believe that.

In any case, when the next instalment of Battletech from HBS is released next year, I plan to spend most, if not all of my time, over there, playing their campaign.

#97 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

Good news is that the vote is overwhelmingly in favour of Single Player content. Would we be looking at a full campaign or just mission packs?

#98 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

The easiest way to do a single player campaign is to port all missions from MW2 into MWO and replace all enemy "A.I." mechs with us online players.

Those of us playing the A.I. mechs get a reward (XP+C Bills+MC) for participation if we meet some minimum criterion such as "do at least 20% damage to the protagonist's armor" or "destroy at least 40% of the convoy moving between Nav Alpha and Nav Gamma."

Actually just porting the entire MW2 series over to MWO and replacing A.I. with living players would in my mind set everything right regarding PGI as a developer.

I don't care about any 'broken promises from the past' if I get what I wrote above Posted Image

I have never been among the 'butthurt.' Actually I have never had any issue with PGI (well maybe a bit of aggravation with the initial quirkening) but I have sorely wished for either a single-player campaign or what I wrote above since day one.
I am a fan of this game and as long as updates, maps, and more content is released I will continue to pay for mechs I want, warhorns, camo patterns, and the occasional cockpit item though in all honesty my favorite cockpit item is still the Founder's coffee mug :)

Edited by Star Commander Horse, 08 November 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#99 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

I made an expanded poll, come check it out.
http://mwomercs.com/...pve-story-mode/

#100 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

other - coming in MW5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users