MPBT Players Thread

379 replies to this topic

#201 nightsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

I think worrying about the broad strategic play is a little premature but certainly worth starting . What is right infront of us is the knowledge that unit play will be critical and the group that is geared up for that with numbers and experince will likely dominate no mater what the strategic goals are. For a number of you it may have been years since you controlled a mech and coordianted your hotkeys. Let alone how many MMO's can use a gamepad or joystick.

I think the issue is important but moreimportant is to build the units and build the buz about the game. We pages forums discussion groups will be key to helping get this off the ground. I would not worry about the big picture till we take care of the small details infront of us now. Get out and recruit. Get people to download MW4 and see what a mech is like, Get units together Lances of 4 to start. In otherwords back to the basics.

#202 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...t-3025-sculpts/

#203 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hey guys, I was hoping, does any still have the installation files for MPBT ?

Or even better yet, does one have the actual models from it ?

I checked MPBT Archive and saw they only had some in game texture files, so somewhere / somehow the models should be obtainable (or at least I hope)

I would like to bring some MPBT models to the paper craft world, see my topic here : (Mostly MW4 related paper models)

http://mwomercs.com/...d-a-paper-mech/

Even if the game can't be installed without the host server, maybe there is a way to extract the installer and have a peek at what is in there.

Thanks

#204 Beanb

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yep, MPBT (GEnie).

Ran with the Davion Heavy Guards there, although my God that's been awhile.

#205 Six6VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

MPBT was such a fun game. It was a shame they canned it.

#206 Gauss

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I use to be with House Davion during MPBT. When MPBT came to a close, I was the RCO of the Anjin Aces (Anjin Muerto Crucis March Militia). Col.Gauss^A^A^=RCO= I think was the handle I ran with. Anyone else from the Aces lurking on this forum?

#207 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Heya Gauss, long time no see man. Welcome back to the fold :D

#208 Fomorian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAshburn Virginia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

MPBT (Kesmai's game original game on GEnie) Oh yeah those were the days lol. Used to drive my room mates up a wall by hoggin the phone line playing BT on GEnie.

Balor

#209 Stone GKR

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

The original Kesmai game was MPBT 3025 that included Solaris on Genie with its $ per hour to play charges.
Kesmai released Solaris from the upcoming MPBT 3025 v2 on Genie (then AOL/Gamestorm) as a preview of things to come. Solaris was never meant to be a stand alone game. Coding problems with tactical engine kills 3025 v2, Solaris remains.
Kesmai/EA VA tried again with MPBT 3025 v3 but farmed out the tactical engine. Again the group working the tactical engine failed and EA/VA killed the project. Nick (the programmer) sold the bosses on a "LITE" version of 3025 using the Solaris game and renaming the rooms. Microsoft forced them to improve on this concept as they did not like the idea. The game was allowed to die off.

Over the years we have lost at least the following folks from the House:

Deathwalker *GKR*
Backflash *KD*
Khorsakov *K*

The TBC is still a tight group that attends a convention each year (that may not be Gencon). Have had lots of fun running with them late nites in the pods at Gencon in Indy.

The *G* Gunslinger award is not connected to the Knights awards.

Stone

#210 Stone GKR

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

I think someone asked if there was a copy of the old Mech files on a computer anywhere. Did a scan of the old computers here and found some ".mek" files in a MPBT folder (of each Mech type). I think that is what you are looking for.

I keep everything so I have files from 1995 through 2001 (including game design specs). I have the original unit/rank images I did for the game on a drive. 3 copies of House source books that I need to start getting rid of, and emails from staff time ranging from "my dads a Constitutional attorney" to someone threatening to use the "Pentagon Attorneys" (yes, true stories).

Ahh the Good ole days.

Bye the way, I do hope all of the MPBT staff folks from the AOL days got notifications on that AOL lawsuit awhile back.

Stone

#211 Meneiupptus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

Wow... allot of old people from the old homestead. Been a long time since EGA MPBT

I look forward to fighting with you all again.

<S>
Atron Meneiupptus AKA Laserbait

#212 Nighthound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGermany - Düsseldorf

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

I find it quite astonishing that so many people are still out there waiting for a new Online BattleTech experience .... but if alas I'm too ;)

Nighthound (known as GeneralFailure back then)

#213 SEEKER 1

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Guess it's time to pull the tarp off and kickstart the ole fusion reactor, lube the jionts, adust the
Actuators and clean the spiderwebs out of the mech cockpit

#214 knightwire

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I played on the original MPBT on GEnie. Looks like that's reffered to as MPBT:EGA. I think it was back in the '93-'94 time frame... wow, I guess we get a 20 year anniversary soon. :D

Anyway my handle was Indy. I was a Gunslinger and a Knight of Davion. The last command I remember having was the Addicks PDZ. Me and Orion Star wrote the original House Davion Players Handbook way back then. (OS did most of it, but I remember spending many a night typing up new sections and proof reading.)

Had the honor and pleasure to run with Ghostrider, Wolf, Bruiser, Blastum (that silly *******) :rolleyes: , Deathwalker (I'm very sorry to hear of his passing), Glider, MacFarland, Peanut, Shadowcat, Grimlocke and many others I should probably remember but don't.

That was $6 an hour over what... a 2400 or 4800 baud modem? :D Good times. Sounds like I missed a lot of cool stuff afterwards, but I sure am hoping that this project will succeed. If it does and it can capture even a small part of what we did back then it hould be awesome.

New name, new game. I look forward to taking a look around this joint. <_<

-Joe

knightwire
House Davion
MPBT:EGA - Indy*GK* (If you remember me send me note or something)

#215 knightwire

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostStone GKR, on 02 March 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

The original Kesmai game was MPBT 3025 that included Solaris on Genie with its $ per hour to play charges.
Kesmai released Solaris from the upcoming MPBT 3025 v2 on Genie (then AOL/Gamestorm) as a preview of things to come. Solaris was never meant to be a stand alone game. Coding problems with tactical engine kills 3025 v2, Solaris remains.
Kesmai/EA VA tried again with MPBT 3025 v3 but farmed out the tactical engine. Again the group working the tactical engine failed and EA/VA killed the project. Nick (the programmer) sold the bosses on a "LITE" version of 3025 using the Solaris game and renaming the rooms. Microsoft forced them to improve on this concept as they did not like the idea. The game was allowed to die off.

Over the years we have lost at least the following folks from the House:

Deathwalker *GKR*
Backflash *KD*
Khorsakov *K*

The TBC is still a tight group that attends a convention each year (that may not be Gencon). Have had lots of fun running with them late nites in the pods at Gencon in Indy.

The *G* Gunslinger award is not connected to the Knights awards.

Stone

Stone - I'm not familiar with the R and D designations. Must be after my time. What do those stand for?

View Postmacfarlane, on 12 December 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

MacFarlane*GK* here, or once was back in the 1992-96 ish era. I've lost track of most of those of us who once roamed MPBT on GEnie. <_<

I'd read that DW (Deathwalker) aka Joe passed on? If so a sad day I miss the fun phone calls with him. No idea what ever happened to Ghostrider/Jim, or Blastum/Jake. VonReichman/Matt lives out west now last I heard. Haven't seen anything on any of the old TBC, not sure if Ice/Rich is still kicking.

Anyhow I'm floating around and watching, waiting and hoping. :rolleyes: Last time I saw anyone from Kesmai was the last time I played paintball with them near their old headquarters back around 96'. Anyhow safe a drink for me at the Ghost Mech Cafe. :D

Jim aka Mac.

Nice to see you here Mac! Damn it's been a long time since we did all this craziness. :D I'll definately buy you a drink at the Ghost Mech or any other establishment for that matter. I still hold a place in my Mechwarrior heart for the 3rd Crucis Lancers! :lol:

-Joe

Edited by knightwire, 10 March 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#216 xxShotgunxx

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostAndrewOsis, on 02 November 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

@ Jagerwolf I was with TWB during the AOL days for a bit under the handle of stalker. I think I remember an ArchAngel

View PostJaegerwolf, on 03 November 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yea man I remember you! Now hopefully the rest of the crew will show up!

View PostCrungus -=TWB=-, on 03 November 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

Reporting in. Good to see so many familiar names from the old AOL/Gamestorm MPBT!

Wow! Great to see that TWB survived all these years of radio silence!

Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out.
Lt. Col. Shotgun <TWB>

#217 xxShotgunxx

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostCol.Ender, on 12 November 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

I am sure you havn't forgotten Beer, Spam and Sheep (don't ask me where the sheep comes from).

I went digging through some old cd, lo and behold, I found the roster and the TWB Flag...

Posted Image

Good ole days....

Awesome! That really brings back memories.

Shotgun (a.k.a. "Shot" during a drop)

#218 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

View Postknightwire, on 10 March 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Stone - I'm not familiar with the R and D designations. Must be after my time. What do those stand for?

Indy, during the late days of MPBT (GEnie) and the peak of MPBT: Solaris days the Knights and House Leadership introduced 2 additional levels of knighthoods beyond the original knighthood. The sourcebook was used to craft the new orders of knighthood.

The *K* is identified as Knights of the Federated Suns. It is the foundation of the Knights, and includes all of the original (MPBT GEnie) members plus those that were introduced during the MPBT: Solaris and MPBT: 3025 days.

The *D* represents The Order of Davion, and is a more private order of knighthood than the *K*. Members of the OD are people who have shown great loyalty to the Davion family, and the House as a whole.

The *R* represents the highest honor of the Federated Suns because it associated with the individual being a recipient of The Medal Excalibur. The medal bestows the title "Knight of the Realm" to the individual.

The *K* is the title for a Knight of the Federated Suns. Someone who was in the Knights of the Federated Suns and the Order of Davion would use the *KD* as title. *KR* is the title of a Knight of the Federated Suns who is also a Knight of the Realm. If a person was a member of all three orders their honorific title is *KDR*.

Bruiser, as the Knight Grand Marshal, has the official list of all Knights in all three orders. My most recent copy of the roster shows 61 members of the Knights of the Inner Sphere (including yourself, Indy, but not counting the 4 Lost Knights). There are 12 Knights in the Order of Davion, and 13 Knights of the Realm (2 of those being honorary awards given to Kesmai Studio staff). The number of Knights that belong to all three orders can be counted on one hand.

- Garg.

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 11 March 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#219 knightwire

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Gargoyle,

Well that sounds pretty damn cool. It's nice to see the Knights lived on and expanded. It was a great group of guys in my time and I'm sure nothing changed. I guess it would be incorrect now to call myself a Knight of Davion as that may be confused with your later Order of Davion. Thank you very much for the quick history lesson. :) When did you join MPBT:EGA? It seems like your handle is familiar, but I just can't recall if we ever ran missions together.

Do you have Brusier's email by chance? I would love to talk to the old man. Not sure if you can message through this forum, so just use indy at knightwire dot com. Are the Knights lists available to view anywhere? I would like to see who made it into the ranks after my time. (May help jog the memory on people I know as well.)

-Joe

#220 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postknightwire, on 11 March 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Gargoyle,...When did you join MPBT:EGA? It seems like your handle is familiar, but I just can't recall if we ever ran missions together.

Indy/knightwire, (sorry, calling you Joe hits close to home considering that's what DW was also known by), I started playing MPBT in 1992. I took a break between late 1993 through early 1995 because of grad school and work. Once I returned I've played MPBT in all it's various forms.

I'm one of the original 8 *K* along with Bruiser, Dog, Guile, Peanut, Orion Star, Ghostrider, and Wolf. I was the Davion House Leader in MPBT (GEnie) from 1996 until the end of the game in 1997. Knightwing was the HL in MPBT: Solaris at that same time, and was the HL in MPBT (GEnie) directly prior to my holding the office. In MPBT: Solaris I was the Chief of Staff and held the rank of Field Marshal. In MPBT: 3025 I was placed into the beta at Field Marshal (rank 97) in my House role of Chief of Staff.

Here in MWO I'm just another Davion who happens to have some letters after his name. ;)

- Gargoyle *KDR*

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 12 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users